1 Embryo Transfer Vs. 2 Embryos

Okay, I need your advice. Dh and I are planning IVF sometime next year and doing some research. Our problem is MF there is nothing wrong with me, and under 35. So I am thinking we should do only 1 embryo transfer but we are POP $10 - $12 thousand and really want IVF to work the first time. I am only 5’3 and on my worst days weigh 105Lbs so really do not want twins. What are your opinions? and what has been your experiences?

Im 115 lbs and 5’3. We put 2 blasts in. you could decide once you see quality. Like if u have not great day 3 embies, transfer two. Or if u have great day 5 blasts, transfer one :slight_smile: we only have male factor, but first cycle was awful so we almost put 3 in the second time!!

As PP mentioned, you can make a decision based on quality and other factors.
In reality one good quality embryo on day 5 has an almost equal chance of pregnancy of transferring 2 in a woman under 35, in fact my clinic will only allow one if you don’t have previous failures or bad embryos.

My IVF experiences are in my siggy, transferred 2 each time. My experience has been that, at 5’3" and heavier than you- twins tore up my body and I experienced dangerous complications as compared to my first pregnancy with a singleton that I escaped with no problems at all. That being said, many women of all sizes carry twins without issue, but there ARE risks and most are born premature.

I just had this conversation with my RE today. For us, I am the one with serious prior health problems with lingering factors that might affect pregnancy. So, he said in my case if I have an embryo that makes it to 5 days, there is a 60% chance of pregnancy with my clinic. (This is also due to my age, 30). If we transfered 2 5 day embryos, the chance of pregnancy only goes up 5% at my clinic, but the chance of twins (or more) is much higher.

So, I think like the other posters said, it will really come down to the quality of embryos you have and if they make it to 3 or 5 days. Hopefully you will have some embryos to freeze and can do a frozen transfer if the IVF does not work - FETs are cheaper.

Also, do some research on twin births. A lot of women are successful, but if you have complicating factors (like me, and your height may be) your DH might go from a determined 2 embryo transferer to a determined single embryo transfer. That is what happened to me today!

Thanks ladies, not having experienced an IVf cycle I can’t really know what to expect and the thought of carrying twins and then caring for twins with complications is SCARY! I hadn’t really thought about the quality of Embryos being a factor either so you have been a big help. I am researching like mad right now and have been an obsessive post stalker for some time. There is so much to know and for what ever reason I never ask enough questions when I have appointments with my RE.

I would follow SART/ASRM guidelines for your age group. 1 blast if the quality is good. Up to 2 otherwise.

Hi! When I started IVF I was 106lbs & am 5’3.5". I transferred 2 blast. I really think it is a personal decision. You have to weigh the pros & cons… which is good to take everything into consideration beforehand. My RE as well as most of the nurses commented many times on how small I was, but I still transferred 2. If you are not comfortable with twins & you have good quality embies then I would only transfer 1. In my case I was willing to take the chance at having twins. However, my cycle failed. I will say though… I did gain some weight during my cycle from all the stims. Which is not common for me… I had been the same weight for a long time. I hope you have success!!! :babydust:

I agree with others. I live in Quebec where IVF is funded for 3 cycles but we are only allowed to transfer 1 embryo. I think if you have a good looking 5 day blast to just tranfer 1. My first cycle we transferred 1 embryo on day 3 and it was :bfn: This cycle we transferred one great looking blast on day 5 and I am currently almost 9 weeks pregnant. If you strongly dont want to carry twins I would just transfer 1 blast. Those of us carrying singletons are actually the minority on our due date thread!

Question

Hello, i got my transfer yesterday and i feel so sad. out of 4 fertilized eggs, only one was good to be transfer and this only one was grade D. I don’t feel there is hope for me. do you know of someone wo got the same quality eggs and still got pregnant? i need support.:grr: [quote=buckeyegirl918]Im 115 lbs and 5’3. We put 2 blasts in. you could decide once you see quality. Like if u have not great day 3 embies, transfer two. Or if u have great day 5 blasts, transfer one :slight_smile: we only have male factor, but first cycle was awful so we almost put 3 in the second time!![/quote]

Many, many woman get pregnant with grade D embryos! I purposely did not ask about the grade of my embroys because I didn’t want something else to worry about (i’m a worrier). BUT during my fresh cycle, they transfered 2 of the best embroys and I got a BFN. Then for my frozen cycle, they transfered two ‘average’ embryos and I am now pregnant with twins.

Please don’t be concerned with quality - I have seen many woman get pregnant with poor quality and many not get pregnant with good quality. It 's a crap shoot.

Thanks Ladies, keep them coming I love reading about your experiences, I actually don’t want more than two kids and getting it done and over with in one go seems nice in theory but in reality not so much.

I am thinking this will be a personal choice when the time comes.

mdown - you are so lucky I am in British Columbia and they don’t cover anything Infertility :frowning:

I didnt get pregnant with my slow growing day 3 embies BUT theres hope cause the second cycle I had 10 blasts and a bfp! I couldn’t believe how diff one cycle to another could be.

Ps…i think the worse the embryo, the cuter the baby!!!

Welcome to the forum. We were male factor as well and paid out of pocket as well. Because of that we always transferred two to three embryos at a time. But we were comfortable with having twins. If you are really sure you do not want twins, then transferring one is your best option. I guess it also depends on your financial situation, if you can afford two or three self pay cycles, then I would go for one at a time for sure. Us on the other hand, had to take out a loan for first go around and paid for the consecutive cycles (RE gave us a discounted rate, since we were having to try so many times). So, I would have not considered just transferring one. In all of cycles total, we transferred 16 embryos, and had four (singleton) pregnancies, with one healthy baby born. Good luck to you, I hope you are a lucky first timer!!! If you would like more IVF info, I have tons of it on my blog.

Unfortunately it varies so much from person to person.

I transferred 1 blast and 1 morula on day 5 because I could only afford to do this once and I have two beautiful baby boys now.

However, my friend transferred 2 great blasts and has one beautiful baby boy.

My advice is to discuss with your RE and your DH and decide what feels right for you. If you transfer 1 and end up with a BFN will you be upset that you didn’t chance twins with putting 2 in?

[QUOTE=luvhim]Thanks Ladies, keep them coming I love reading about your experiences, I actually don’t want more than two kids and getting it done and over with in one go seems nice in theory but in reality not so much.

I am thinking this will be a personal choice when the time comes.

mdown - you are so lucky I am in British Columbia and they don’t cover anything Infertility :([/QUOTE]

I am very grateful. Quebec is the only province to fund it, and it just started last year.