1st time IVF; miscarriage after 5 weeks :(

So as much as I wanted to not expect too much, I did anyway. Did 4 IUIs, then pregnant on 2nd (cryo) IVF. Then lost it at 5 weeks and am very sad.

I was wanting to ask how long until I should do another IVF cycle? Is there a time?

Also, is there anything to do but wait & see once you are pregnant? Meaning how do I avoid a miscarriage? (this may be a dumb question)

Trying to stay positive. Thanks for any insight.

I’m sorry to hear about your loss. Big hugs.
Do you have any frozen embryos? If you dont and plan to stim again I would recommend chromosome testing on the embryos. Therefore you know the embryo has nothing abnormal wrong. This can help prevent a miscarrige. I would ask your RE what he/she suggests on how long to wait. I would assume maybe one or two cycles?

[quote=Faith73]So as much as I wanted to not expect too much, I did anyway. Did 4 IUIs, then pregnant on 2nd (cryo) IVF. Then lost it at 5 weeks and am very sad.

I was wanting to ask how long until I should do another IVF cycle? Is there a time?

Also, is there anything to do but wait & see once you are pregnant? Meaning how do I avoid a miscarriage? (this may be a dumb question)

Trying to stay positive. Thanks for any insight.[/quote]

I am sorry about your loss. I failed at my 1st IVF cycle. My RE said that I needed at least 1 cycle to restore and wait before I can start the next IVF cycle. My last IVF was in April, so I plan to do my 2nd IVF in June, which is the earliest I can start.

I wish you the best luck and you will be a mommy soon.

[QUOTE=Faith73]So as much as I wanted to not expect too much, I did anyway. Did 4 IUIs, then pregnant on 2nd (cryo) IVF. Then lost it at 5 weeks and am very sad.

Trying to stay positive. Thanks for any insight.[/QUOTE]

I’m sorry to hear about the loss. A lot of people here know how you feel here, including my wife and I. Our first cycle was a pregnancy, but ended in miscarriage as well. It’s hard not to get your hopes up. We stipulated that we wouldn’t before the cycle, but did it anyway. However, it turned out to be a significant learning experience and it helped us change our circumstances to improve our our odds next time. We also learned later that the pregnancy was very “iffy” anyway to begin with, so there was really no reason for us to get our hopes up to begin with.

As far as how long to wait, a different RE will give you a different time. Three months seems to be pretty common from what I’ve heard, though a few recommend sooner.

[quote=Faith73]So as much as I wanted to not expect too much, I did anyway. Did 4 IUIs, then pregnant on 2nd (cryo) IVF. Then lost it at 5 weeks and am very sad.

Trying to stay positive. Thanks for any insight.[/quote]

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, fertility is a roller coaster ride of ups and downs. It is usually a good idea to do the genetic testing although I think most clinics wait until you have more than one miscarriage before doing it.
Your next cycle usually depends on whether you miscarried naturally or needed a D&C. If you had a D&C, RE usually wants to do a mock embryo before you do another cycle. From my experience, you wait until you get your next period and then can start again if you don’t have to do a mock cycle.
My RE always said to me, the silver lining here is that now you know you can fall pregnant.
Thinking of you during this difficult time

Thanks all. Rosiebee, thats exactly what my RE said and I am holding onto that. So much to comprehend. It can be overwhelming. Anxious, but God’s time, not mine.[quote=Rosiebee]I am so sorry to hear of your loss, fertility is a roller coaster ride of ups and downs. It is usually a good idea to do the genetic testing although I think most clinics wait until you have more than one miscarriage before doing it.
Your next cycle usually depends on whether you miscarried naturally or needed a D&C. If you had a D&C, RE usually wants to do a mock embryo before you do another cycle. From my experience, you wait until you get your next period and then can start again if you don’t have to do a mock cycle.
My RE always said to me, the silver lining here is that now you know you can fall pregnant.
Thinking of you during this difficult time[/quote]

[QUOTE=Faith73]So as much as I wanted to not expect too much, I did anyway. Did 4 IUIs, then pregnant on 2nd (cryo) IVF. Then lost it at 5 weeks and am very sad.

Trying to stay positive. Thanks for any insight.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear abt ur loss! I went through the same pain a few weeks back - I know it’s a tough time… Take time to grieve…

We are planning to take a month break and try a fresh ivf in June … We r switching RE’s and need to travel to San Antonio for the treatment …so depending on their schedule , it maybe June or July…