2 questions (morphology and hydrosalp)

I just had my initial consult today and it was encouraging! My antral count(? sorry still new to terminology) was 35, which the RE said was very good, especially since I am 39.

DH’s analysis came back good, and he wasn’t concerned about it at all.

However, when I got home and we could look at the printout more, we saw his Kruger Strict was 4.5% normal (for morphology). How much will this impact us for IVF, do you think, if the rest of his results were good?

Also, there was an indication on the ultrasound that I might have hydro in my right tube. The RE isn’t insisting on an HSG, but he did share a slight (about 10%) drop in projected chances if I do have it and we still do IVF with it untreated. The reason for potentially not having the test is that I don’t think insurance covers it at all, and it’s about two grand. Also, if I had the test and I do have it, the doc and I were unsure if I’d proceed with the surgery to remove it anyway because I have Crohn’s Disease. The Crohns area is the reason WHY the tube is so damaged in the first place, and having the surgery so close to impacted intestinal area could be bad for my Crohns. Decisions!

So my two questions (sorry this is so long):

1. Has anyone had successful IVF with hydrosalpinx?

2. What insight can you give on the morphology aspect of the SA?

Thanks so much!

[QUOTE=aimeep25]I just had my initial consult today and it was encouraging! My antral count(? sorry still new to terminology) was 35, which the RE said was very good, especially since I am 39.

However, when I got home and we could look at the printout more, we saw his Kruger Strict was 4.5% normal (for morphology). How much will this impact us for IVF, do you think, if the rest of his results were good?

Also, there was an indication on the ultrasound that I might have hydro in my right tube. The RE isn’t insisting on an HSG, but he did share a slight (about 10%) drop in projected chances if I do have it and we still do IVF with it untreated. The reason for potentially not having the test is that I don’t think insurance covers it at all, and it’s about two grand. Also, if I had the test and I do have it, the doc and I were unsure if I’d proceed with the surgery to remove it anyway because I have Crohn’s Disease. The Crohns area is the reason WHY the tube is so damaged in the first place, and having the surgery so close to impacted intestinal area could be bad for my Crohns. Decisions!

Thanks so much![/QUOTE]Welcome aimeep25! You’ve come to the right place to this get this support and information. This process is head spinning. I unfortunately had to have both of my tubes removed in '01. It was a difficult decision but my RE said my chances of success would be compromised with my tubes left in. I would definitely spend some time researching the issue yourself. I have been told by three REs that my numbers are exceptional and that I had a high chance of success. So given that I don’t have tubes that should have been my only issue. Yet, I have had 5 transfer of high quality embryos each time and it hasn’t resulted in a baby in the over two years of trying. I don’t say this to be negative because you could very well have amazing success your first time. I say this because if you don’t have success on the first one you want to feel comfortable with the decision and the only way that happens I think is through a lot of reading. Sometimes the issue with the tube can mean a more significant underlying issue that needs to be dealt with. My first RE said that a hydro tube can have fluid in the tube that can flow back into the uterus creating a toxic environment for the embryo. There can also be damage to the cilia inside the tube. This could cause the tube to work in the reverse direction, pulling the embryo from the uterus into the tube causing an ectopic pregnancy. I hope my comments don’t sound gruff, I truly mean then with a kind heart.

welcome! your antral follie count is phenomenal! congrats :slight_smile:

I can’t comment on the morphology, but my mind is boggled that your RE is saying the hydro will only reduce your chances by 10%. hydros are pockets of toxic fluid in your tubes. The fluid can leak back into your uterus and kill an embryo. After my successful pregnancy, I had 3 chemical pregnancies (where the embryos starts to implant and then doesn’t make it). I very strongly believe that part of the reason is an undiagnosed hydro. I would not do IVF (unless it was free) with a known hydro. JMHO.

Good luck!

[QUOTE=aimeep25]I just had my initial consult today and it was encouraging! My antral count(? sorry still new to terminology) was 35, which the RE said was very good, especially since I am 39.

Thanks so much![/QUOTE]

Hi! I agree with the other posts… My issues are hydro and morphology as well… Your morphology is fine! With the strict criteria your 4% is not bad. We have 1% and my RE says despite what you may find on Internet, my hydro is the worry not low morph… Also helps if you have good count. My RE said I wasn’t getting preg bc of the hydro. The HSG determined both my tubes were blocked with one def hydro on left side. I have to get them both removed before my RE will preform ivf. It would cut my chances in half if I left them. I also was informed that the fluid that leaks from them kill embryos. (My ins isn’t paying to remove them either). But if I’m going to spend $ on ivf I want it to be the best chance possible. If its unsafe for you to remove tubes then leaving them may be your only option… My RE did say that chances split in half, however I’ve found plenty of ladies on here that got :bfp: with blocked tubes so you never know! Whatever you decide, :pray: for you!! I get my tubes out next week and start ivf a few weeks later, our issues are similar, let me know if I can help with anything else!!

welcome!

welcome to our thread!

Your Morphology should be fine. Especially if you elect to do ICSI. We did ICSI and had a phenomenal fertilization report so I highly recommend that. Our morphology was 2%.

I would get the fluid in your tube fixed first. An HSG is not an expensive procedure and is usually covered by most insurances. It can be painful if one of your tubes are blocked (I have one blocked) but with tylenol is managable. You might find out you have no fluid from the HSG and the Radiologist can confirm this.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Rach

Thanks, everyone!

The HSG is definitely not covered by the insurance, and would cost about a grand.

I would do it anyway, but one doc’s opinion is that it would be very bad for my Crohn’s because the tube and the intestines are so close together near an inflamed spot. So at this point, there’s not really a point in doing the HSG if we can’t have the tube removed anyway.

I appreciate everyone’s input!

Thanks so much![/QUOTE]

Impressive follicles. It sounds like you’ve got that part of IVF in the bag. I think in some cases, a hydro can either completely prevent a woman from sustaining a pregnancy and in other cases, it has little effect. In other words, I don’t think that “10 percent reduced chance” is uniform in all women, but of course, who knows where you happen to be on the bell curve. Either way, if you are able to produce numerous eggs, that should help you cut down on a lot of the expense of IVF, which does allow you to experiment a bit via successive cycles in case earlier ones fail.

Thanks so much![/QUOTE]

Impressive follicles. It sounds like you’ve got that part of IVF in the bag. I think in some cases, a hydro can either completely prevent a woman from sustaining a pregnancy and in other cases, it has little effect. In other words, I don’t think that “10 percent reduced chance” is uniform in all women, but of course, who knows where you happen to be on the bell curve. Either way, if you are able to produce numerous eggs, that should help you cut down on a lot of the expense of IVF, which does allow you to experiment a bit via successive cycles in case earlier ones fail.

Oh, and my wife had a hydro as well, but we hacked the tube out so it wouldn’t be a problem. It’s too bad. You seem to have the eggs and my wife and I lack the eggs but have a gestational environment… Maybe, with YOUR eggs and HER uterus…

In all seriousness, it looks like your eggs may end up being your biggest strength, if those follicles translate into mature eggs. If you end up with 2 AA Blasts and can’t sustain a pregnancy on your first cycle, you may be able to deduce that the hydro might be a “bigger” problem.

Hydro

My issue was a hydro as well. My first Dr. left it untreated and no fertility treatments work. When I switched Drs, the first thing he said was we needed to remove the tube due to the hydro if I wanted to get pregnant- and I was in surgery a week later. My son was born last week so I absolutely believe it made all the difference. GOod Luck and I wish you all the best!!!

Thank you SO much everyone!

We decided, since we don’t know if I have a hydro or not, to try the first cycle without doing anything to the tube. I definitely realize it could make a difference, but if the tube removal procedure messes with my Crohn’s Disease (since the two areas are almost intertwined) I really can’t pursue IVF anyway if I get a flare up.

So fingers crossed on it. We are trying to make sure the bank account is ready then we will give it a go!

[quote=aimeep25]Thank you SO much everyone!

We decided, since we don’t know if I have a hydro or not, to try the first cycle without doing anything to the tube. I definitely realize it could make a difference, but if the tube removal procedure messes with my Crohn’s Disease (since the two areas are almost intertwined) I really can’t pursue IVF anyway if I get a flare up.

So fingers crossed on it. We are trying to make sure the bank account is ready then we will give it a go![/quote]

Why don’t you have an HSG done before the IVF? Most insurances cover it. Then you will know for sure.

I wish you luck.

My insurance does not cover it. And even if it shows a hydro, I can’t have it removed (my tube is VERY damaged) if it will cause a Crohn’s flare.