3 day or 5 day transfer?

Hi everyone!

I am currently recovering from an ectopic pregnancy from my 5th IVF attempt. I am hoping to try one last time once everything returns to normal. All of my IVF attempts have been 3 day transfers. I have been doing some research and am wondering if a 5 day transfer might help.

What do you think? If you had success was it a 3 day or 5 day transfer?

My RE only does 5 day transfers. I guess the philosophy behind this is that if the embryos can be grown to 5 days blasts they have a better chance at surviving in utero and implanting. With that said each case is different as well as each doctor.

I would discuss this with your RE and see what they recommend for your particular case. It wouldnt hurt to grow out your embryos to day 5. If anything it would give you a better idea of embryo quality (in terms of transfer).
You are a strong women and i am happy you havn’t given up hope. Best of luck to you :clap:

[quote=Notgivinguphope]My RE only does 5 day transfers. I guess the philosophy behind this is that if the embryos can be grown to 5 days blasts they have a better chance at surviving in utero and implanting. With that said each case is different as well as each doctor.

I would discuss this with your RE and see what they recommend for your particular case. It wouldnt hurt to grow out your embryos to day 5. If anything it would give you a better idea of embryo quality (in terms of transfer).
You are a strong women and i am happy you havn’t given up hope. Best of luck to you :clap:[/quote]

Thanks! I mentioned it at my last appointment and he said we would discuss it further when we meet again to go over my next cycle. I have been doing some reading and am leaning toward a 5 day transfer. But wanted to see what the success rate was here.

Congrats to you! And thanks for your support!

I was going for a 5dt my last cycle because of the reasons Notgivinguphome cited. If an embryo makes it to the blast stage there’s a higher chance of it being healthy. I’ve heard some REs think if it won’t make it to blast then it won’t lead to a healthy baby anyway. I had 9 fertilized embryos and on day3 4 were still going strong but on day 5 they slowed down and then fizzled out on day 6 so no ET. My OB who also had IVF said hers were arresting rapidly on day 3 so they called her in to do the ET a couple of days early. She firmly believes that sometimes they stand a better chance in the uterus. Of course it could be that the two that stuck would have made it to day 5 but no one knows for certain. I’ve gone back and forth on this myself. Not doing the ET saves some money which may let me have an additional cycle but I can’t help but think maybe one of my little embies may have made it if we did the 3dt. Please post your thoughts after you discuss with your doc. I’m glad you’re giving it another shot and my prayers are with you.