3 days of stims and only 3 follicles?

I went for my blood work and u/s this morning and am on that ledge again. NO follicles on the right and only 3 very small ones on the left. He told me the numbers, but I was so upset I couldn’t even focus. He said we’ll see how things go but we may have to convert to IUI. I don’t get it. Did the BCP do this?

When they call later ask for your estrogen level from baseline and today. If it is going up you are fine. You are only on day 3 there is time for more follies to develop. Slow and steady wins the race!

That’s what I’m hoping. They didn’t call yet, so I’ll ask.

They just called. E2 is 84. She said it’s rising slowly but it’s rising. She said sometimes it just needs some time to jump start. UGH. 84 is low.

On my last cycle, which was successful, by E2 after 3 days of stims was only 65. I ended up stimming for 12 days, which is on the longer side, but did get 10 eggs, 9 of which were mature. It just takes some of us longer to get going, so don’t write yourself out yet!

I only had 8 follicles on my 8th day of stims, and am now up to 12 (day 11). I’ll probably be stimming for 12 days this cycle…it is the AMH that is causing lower number of follicles, I’m in the same boat. You’ve still got quite a bit of time. Can I recommend the Circle and Bloom IVF meditation series? It has made me much more positive about this cycle than any other one.

Give it time, and train your mind to think only positive thoughts. Acknowledge all negative thoughts and then send them packing! All we need are 1-2 healthy embies, you’ll get there! :grouphug:

Thank you everyone. I’ve given myself a headache (which I know, is not good). I’m going to lay down, but I did download the circle & bloom mediation (for now the free one) and will listen to that as I try to sleep. Hoping and praying Wednesday’s numbers are better.

@ littleitalian I can somewhat relate. I had 7 follicles yesterday after 3 days of stims and left in tears. Everyone on this forum has been super encouraging and it helps when everyone shares their stories! Thanks everyone!

I typically don’t have ANY follicles until day 7 since I’m a slow responder. Try not to stress out this early as you are doing just fine. You may stim a bit longer than you planned, but you should still see lots more popping up at your next couple of ultrasounds. Hang in there and good luck!

Thank you, that makes me feel better. I always thought with the higher dose of follistim I’d be full of follies. I just felt awful when he said it may be converted to IUI when that didn’t work. I go back Wed and Fri and I guess I should know by then. I came home and did nothing but sit on the couch and eat. And that is so WRONG b/c I’m already worried that the meds are getting to diluted trying to find their way through my rolls. I’m not obese, but I am overweight and that has me worrying too. I just don’t get why some people (The Duggar daughter in law is pregnant again) can walk by their husbands and get pregnant and those of us who want it more than anything can’t. Why does this happen? Can’t we take a pill to “freeze” our fertility at 18 until we are ready to have kids?

[QUOTE=littleitalian]Can’t we take a pill to “freeze” our fertility at 18 until we are ready to have kids?[/QUOTE]

YES!!! Wouldn’t that be great???

Ugh, I know…I saw the Duggar news and wanted to throw a brick through my TV.

I am in the “slow stimmer” club. If they checked me after 3 days, they would find absolutely nothing. My E2 doesn’t generally even raise until like 12 days on stims…and then I explode. Some people just take longer than others. Please don’t write yourself out. 3 days is nothing! My clinic doesn’t even check until 5 days on stims. You got this :slight_smile:

:pray::cross: that’s what will happen. All I keep thinking about though is the IVF nurse’s words that “insurance will only cover 2 cycles.” I feel like they don’t have a lot of time to find my right mix of meds. But seeing how many others are slow starters, it’s really helping. Last night was the 4th dose and I’m already bloated so much my pants don’t fit again.

Here’s to lots of follies all around! :grouphug:

[quote=Francesca13]Ugh, I know…I saw the Duggar news and wanted to throw a brick through my TV.

I am in the “slow stimmer” club. If they checked me after 3 days, they would find absolutely nothing. My E2 doesn’t generally even raise until like 12 days on stims…and then I explode. Some people just take longer than others. Please don’t write yourself out. 3 days is nothing! My clinic doesn’t even check until 5 days on stims. You got this :)[/quote]

I stimmed for 11 days and took the slow and steady rout (although my left ovary produced a grand total of 1 follicle, my right one was able to compensate). Unlike most women, I did not do any suppression (BCPs) before starting my cycle and from what I’ve heard, that is an acceptable protocol for people with low AMH. As you can see from my signature, that method worked well enough for me so far. It might be worth it (if you have to do another cycle - and here’s hoping you don’t!) to discuss this option with your RE.

Cookiechick, congratulations!!! H&H 9 mos. to you!!! What stims/meds were you on? My doc isn’t doing ICSI (unless nothing fertilizes then they’ll do rescue on day 1) b/c we don’t have any male factor issues. I thought all IVFs were ICSI’d now. Guess not. I’ve already had 2 pregnancies so hopefully our only issue will be negated doing IVF. IF it doesn’t get cancelled. I actually did both of my shots in my stomach last night instead of one in my thigh. My crazy brain thought it was better to put it closer to where it needed to go.

Thank you! I still won’t believe it till there’s a heartbeat, though.

I did all of my injections in my stomach. Well except for one day I tried the thigh and that hurt so badly that I swore I would never do them there again. I just made sure I moved the needles around each day. I’m on progesterone in oil IM shots right now and they are much less fun. But I have to do what I have to do . . .

As for my meds, I was on a steady dose of 225 Gonel F/150 menopur each night and then added Ganirelex for the last 6 days to prevent ovulation. We left the ICSI decision to the embryologist to call at game time. I guess they judged it was necessary, but it’s certainly not done all the time.

Keep us posted on how you’re progresing.

I’m on 350 follistim/150 menopur. My doc said the gonal f/follistim is interchangeable and left the decision on which to use to me based on which I could get cheaper. I have the ganirelix shots but haven’t been told to start those yet.

Ugh, I’ve heard the progesterone in oil is bad. My friend was on those. My doc uses the crinone gel and estrogen tablet that I have to stick up there. Not looking forward to that part. But like you said, I’d stand on my head for a week if the doc told me to.

Can’t wait to hear about your first ultrasound. Did they schedule one yet?

[quote=cookiechick]Thank you! I still won’t believe it till there’s a heartbeat, though.

I did all of my injections in my stomach. Well except for one day I tried the thigh and that hurt so badly that I swore I would never do them there again. I just made sure I moved the needles around each day. I’m on progesterone in oil IM shots right now and they are much less fun. But I have to do what I have to do . . .

As for my meds, I was on a steady dose of 225 Gonel F/150 menopur each night and then added Ganirelex for the last 6 days to prevent ovulation. We left the ICSI decision to the embryologist to call at game time. I guess they judged it was necessary, but it’s certainly not done all the time.

Keep us posted on how you’re progresing.[/quote]

Update: Only two good size follies at the right size. Several very small others that he would like to try and catch up. Start ganarelix tonight and on Friday he’ll know if we have to convert to IUI this cycle. I did ask if this cycle is a bust if there is anything else that could be done and he said yes, something about testosterone gel and something else that could be added.

Aren’t you still only 5 days into stims? What were the sizes of the 2 good sized ones, and did he say how many he could see of the smaller ones and/or the sizes? Your cycle sounds similar to my last two. I think there’s a good chance that you’ll see on the next u/s that those smaller ones are growing.

Yes, you are right, 5 days in. 12 and 13 are the big two. The others were measured and ranged from 3 to 9. He won’t up the dose though because he said there is no evidence that it would help b/c 350 is pretty high.