3 Hour Glucose Test

I had my glucose test yesterday and got my results back this morning…I didn’t pass!

I have to go back in on Tues for the 3 hour test. My levels came back at 147. The cutoff is at 134. The RN told me that even if I made the cutoff at exactly 134, they’d still have me come back in for the 3 hour test because it was too close to the cutoff. I think my levels were elevated because I was eating a ton of sweets and carbs during the week. I was still having sweets and carbs even to the night before my test. Ahhhhh…I should’ve watched myself.

I’ve done some searching online about overloading on carbs and it appears to be one end or the other. It appears many have received same instructions of overloading on carbs before the 3 hour test. But the results seem very extreme. There were lots of people who said they didn’t pass because of this overloading on carbs and felt they were set up to fail. Some said they did exactly as told and passed. And there were also a lot of people who weren’t instructed to more carbs so they ate normally…complex proteins and carbs several days before testing and passed.

I don’t really want to overload on carbs or overdo it. I am worried if I do that, I’ll fail for sure! I have a feeling the only reason why I failed my 1 hour test was because I was eating a ton of carbs during the week and even the day before the test.

The 3 hour test sounds absolutely dreadful. Anyone had to take the 3 hour test and pass after failing the first one?

I would say that you really need to eat just as you normally would so that your test results are the most accurate. It’s for your and the baby’s benefit to know how your body is truly utilizing insulin.

I have failed the one hour with two pregnancies. The first pregnancy I failed the 3 hour as well, and the second pregnancy I passed the 3 hour (despite failing the 1 hour with a 172). A 147 is not that far from the cutoff (my doctor’s cutoff is 140). I think there is a good chance you will pass the 3 hour test. Just do things as you normally do so you know you will be getting an accurate diagnosis. And don’t worry, the 3 hour test is not dreadful, just annoying.

[B]I failed the one hour glucose by just one point which sucks. Lol but I did the 3 hour one , and passed at every hour :slight_smile: but it was way worse since I had to drink the whole bottle…I hate that stuff. :grr: [/B]

DO NOT CHANGE YOUR EATING. You need to eat how you normally do and do not try to beat the test so to speak. If you fail its no big deal I know a lot of women that have failed and are healthy with healthy babies!

I failed the 1 hour barely like you and passed the three hour with flying colors! Goodluck, you will be fine!

Thanks ladies!

That’s what I was thinking too…to just eat normal and hope for the best.

Actually, one of the ladies from my OB’s office called me this morning to confirm my appt for the 3 hour test and I asked her to clarify the “overloading on carbs” and the amount. The first thing she said was, the nurse didn’t tell you what kind of carbs to eat? And I told her no, she just said overload on carbs.

Anyways, this lady said that I am suppose to eat complex carbs like rice, pasta, toast, beans. And overloading is not to really overload but just eat a little more than I usually do. For example, if I normally eat half a cup of rice, eat 3/4 or 1 full cup of rice. If I normally eat half piece of toast, eat a whole piece of toast and so on. She clarified that I’m not suppose to overload on the sugary stuff like brownies, chocolates and muffins.

It’s a good thing I posted on here and asked you ladies! If I hadn’t, I would have ignorantly overloaded on carbs - muffins and cookies! And fail the test for sure!

Hi Ladies,

I went in early this morning for my 3 hour glucose test. It was suppose to be on Tues right after the holidays, but I had to reschedule it for Friday.

Oh my gosh, it was dreadful…oh so very dreadful! The fasting bit was not hard at all, but the no water bit was! I started fasting at 9pm the night before, but I had stopped eating anything by 8pm. I did have some water around 8:30pm.

They took my blood first thing when I got there then gave me a bottle of that glucose juice – this time around, it tasted so much more worst than the first time when I had it for the 1 hour test. I found out that the juice has 100g of sugar in it! WOW!

Thereafter, it was blood draw once every hour for 3 hours. I was starving when I first got into the dr’s office because of the fasting, but once I had that juice, I was not hungry anymore! I was kind of nauseous! I wanted to throw it all up but managed not to. By the 2nd hour, I was insanely tired and sleepy. Oh, did I mention that since I was instructed not to have any water during my fast and during the test, I was dehydrated so the nurse was pricking me all over my arm trying to find the vein!

Once I was done with my test, I was so ready to eat!! I think I was meant to eat something light and proteinish, but I had French toast. I hope I didn’t OD on sugar for the day!!

Fingers crossed that I pass! The nurse told me that my levels have to be lower than 94 for the fasting. If it’s 94 and higher, I automatically failed the test. If I pass the fasting levels, then I have pass either all 3 blood draws or 2 out of the 3 blood draws in the 3 hour test. If I fail 2 out of the 3, then I failed the the test and I will be clinically diagnosed for gestational diabetes. They will refer me to a dietitian and be put on a diet plan, and they will monitor the baby more closely for the remainder of my pregnancy. I heard from this other lady that she had to monitor her sugar levels 5 times a day for the remainder of her pregnancy and a few months after she gave birth. Oh gosh!

I really hope I pass!!

What is your experience with this test? Anyone fail? What happens after you fail the 3 hour test?

Lilac- I just did my 3 hr. test this week. When I met with my OB the next day she said there are 2 different scales that doctors can use to interpret the results. If she used the first scale, I passed the 3 hr. test, if she used the 2nd scale, then I am borderline GD.

Because I have twins and am considered AMA, she is going to be cautious. I am going to go to a class to learn about diet changes and monitor my blood sugar levels for a few weeks. She said she is sure it will be fine and I won’t need any medications, etc. She also said that the doing blood sugars can be a big pain while working full time, so that is why she is only going to have me do it regularly for a couple of weeks.

I would rather not fool with any of this, but know it is better to be safe than sorry. The diet changes don’t seem to be a big deal, except that I am like a Carb Queen…LOL

I wish you luck with your results, please keep us posted!

[QUOTE=Godiva4me]Lilac- I just did my 3 hr. test this week. When I met with my OB the next day she said there are 2 different scales that doctors can use to interpret the results. If she used the first scale, I passed the 3 hr. test, if she used the 2nd scale, then I am borderline GD.

Because I have twins and am considered AMA, she is going to be cautious. I am going to go to a class to learn about diet changes and monitor my blood sugar levels for a few weeks. She said she is sure it will be fine and I won’t need any medications, etc. She also said that the doing blood sugars can be a big pain while working full time, so that is why she is only going to have me do it regularly for a couple of weeks.

I would rather not fool with any of this, but know it is better to be safe than sorry. The diet changes don’t seem to be a big deal, except that I am like a Carb Queen…LOL

I wish you luck with your results, please keep us posted![/QUOTE]

Thanks! I will get my results back next Tuesday.

Oh my gosh…I am also a Carb Queen!

I failed my 1hr test, barely, with a 146 and failed the 3hr test outright.

Thankfully I controlled my gd solely through diet and needed no insulin injections. I did it from 26weeks until 39weeks when I had my son. It is not hard. You basically just have to count your carbs, and eat small snacks in-between meals. The hardest part for me was eat, and make sure 2hrs later I checked my blood levels no matter where I was. The meals got quite boring over time, and as I got further into my pregnancy I had to cut back on my carbs even more to make sure I didn’t have to go on the insulin. But he was born at 7lbs 7oz completely healthy, and I have been fine ever since which was all worth it!

Thanks ladies!

I got my results back for my 3 hour glucose test - I passed!! Everything came back normal!!

I am so relieved! I could not eat or sleep all weekend because I was so worried about not passing the test.