30 Yr Old Low AMH scared, sad and confused

Hey all. I’m new here, just hoping for some support and potential answers. I am 30 years old, have been TTC only for 4 cycles, with no positive results. Luckily I have a gyn who is aggressive in testing for low ovarian reserve. I just got the call yesterday. She said i need to go to a ER immediately and that I’m lucky we caught this now and not in a couple years when the answer would have been that I have no more eggs left :frowning:

I am scheduled with a top ER Dr. Ina Cholst at NYC’s CRMI Practice and am hopeful about that.

My test results were taken on day 3 of my cycle and the results were:

LH - 9.5
FSH - 9.1
AMH - 1.1
Estradiol - 33.4
Estrogens Total - 91

Anyone with experience in this type of issue with encouraging words would be amazing.

Hoping everyone else is having luck!

I know a lot of RE’s who say a AMH of 1.1 wouldn’t be low. Right here it says 1 is normal AMH Fertility Test, Anti-Mullerian Hormone

While your FSH is a little high for a 30 year old, its fair Day 3 FSH Fertility Test of Ovarian Reserve

Another thing that needs to be tested is your AFC Antral Follicle Counts, Testing Ovarian Reserve Predicts IVF Response That will tell you a lot also. I have elevated FSH, but my AFC count is perfectly normal that my RE isn’t worried about DOR.

When you say ER, do you mean RE?

Yes I meant RE sorry :slight_smile: Still learning all the acronyms. My gyn told me I should go see an RE because a 1.1 is considered very low for a 30 year old. Is the AFC something I should wait to have done with the RE? Or should I ask my gyn to order it so I can walk in with those results as well?

Thanks s o much for responding. I feel a bit lost in all of this. With all of my friends getting pregnant around me its becoming a bit difficult to say the least.

I’d get to the RE asap. One reason is while most gyno’s can do the testing, they don’t know really how to treat infertility right. They use it as a hobby. RE have the special training. Right now i wouldn’t worry about being DOR. 1.1 is normal.

You’ve got time, you’ve only been TTC for 4 cycles. It normally can take a healthy couple 12 cycles of timed intercourse to get pregnant. A normal healthy couple has a 20% chance of getting a BFP each cycle. Has your DH had his sperm tested? That’d be something to do. I know seeing people around you get pregnant is rough. I promise i know. I’ve been at this for 10 years and have lost every BFP we’ve gotten. Try not to stress and just make it fun right now also!

:cross:

Thank you so much. My DH is going to his regular doc today and asking for a Fertility work up, so hopefully he will be getting that done today.

The earliest appointment is January 12th (which is obviously frustrating) but at least I have a bit of time to still try on my own before I go to the consultation.

Thank you again for calming my nerves. And you sound like you have some determination in you! I hope to carry on that determination through my process as well. Good luck to you and I will keep you updated as I move on.

:babydust:

Hi eforelyse,

I’m 31 and my AMH is much lower than yours (details in my signature). They didn’t test my AMH until my 2nd fresh cycle. I did 4 IUIs, a fresh and a frozen IVF all with BFNs. My 2nd fresh cycle was the worst on paper, I was on a decently high dose of meds and only yielded 6 eggs…4 fertilized…3 transfered…and I’m 15 weeks pregnant with triplets! So, low AMH doesn’t mean it’s the end for you. It just means you may need a higher dose to yield what some women can get on a lower dose. I agree, seeing an RE is your best bet. Good luck!

[quote=Ann0327]Hi eforelyse,

I’m 31 and my AMH is much lower than yours (details in my signature). They didn’t test my AMH until my 2nd fresh cycle. I did 4 IUIs, a fresh and a frozen IVF all with BFNs. My 2nd fresh cycle was the worst on paper, I was on a decently high dose of meds and only yielded 6 eggs…4 fertilized…3 transfered…and I’m 15 weeks pregnant with triplets! So, low AMH doesn’t mean it’s the end for you. It just means you may need a higher dose to yield what some women can get on a lower dose. I agree, seeing an RE is your best bet. Good luck![/quote]

Ann0327, just wondering if your RE told you that your only option was IVF after finding out about the Low Ovarian Reserve? I was just diagnosed with Low Ovarian Reserve today (mine was 0.60) and my Dr. recommended more aggressive treatment and stated if I wanted to jump right to IVf he was fine with that. We unfortunately can’t due to finances (insurance covers nothing) so we will have to keep trying with IUI. Congrats on your BFP!

[quote=Ann0327]Hi eforelyse,

I’m 31 and my AMH is much lower than yours (details in my signature). They didn’t test my AMH until my 2nd fresh cycle. I did 4 IUIs, a fresh and a frozen IVF all with BFNs. My 2nd fresh cycle was the worst on paper, I was on a decently high dose of meds and only yielded 6 eggs…4 fertilized…3 transfered…and I’m 15 weeks pregnant with triplets! So, low AMH doesn’t mean it’s the end for you. It just means you may need a higher dose to yield what some women can get on a lower dose. I agree, seeing an RE is your best bet. Good luck![/quote]

Ann,

Thank you so much for psoting about your sucess, I feel like my low amh is a death sentence but hearing of your pregnancy gives me hope. Thank you so much!

Hi I know this was indicated for Ann but I just wanted to say my AMH is .50 and my Dr. said he would try IUI for me a few times but IVF was our best hope. Finances make me want to try with IUI maybe once or twice more but after that I think we will have to get a credit card and go in debt. Good luck and :babydust: to you.

SC, Thanks! Well, my RE didn’t test my AMH until we were on our 2nd fresh IVF already. They only tested FSH prior to my 1st IVF. We did 4 rounds of IUI. Looking back I responded ok to the clomid the first round, the subsequent rounds I always had at least one egg but unfortunately, we also had MFI. So, I’m not sure if that was more why IUI didn’t work for us. I think it can’t hurt to try a couple rounds of IUI, it’s not cheap, but certainly cheaper. My clomid was only $7 after insurance and we did 2 days in a row of IUI at about 500-700 total bucks (I forget exactly). But it could help you see how your ovaries react when stimmed before you potentially make the jump to IVF. I understand the financial strain :frowning: We had coverage for half our first IVF and no coverage our FET or 2nd IVF. This was our last try!

Heidi, Good luck to you! You may still have great eggs, you just have to push a little harder and expect you may not get the high quantity some ladies do.

For all, if you have low AMH and do IVF, insist on a protagonist cycle if your RE doesn’t, but I would think they would go that route. It’s the more aggressive protocol without lupron suppression. I was on 375 of follistim plus one vial of menopur and had to stim for 12 days to get my 6 little eggs :slight_smile: Some women stim with less meds for only 8-10 days and get twice as many eggs. So just know, it may take a little extra time and effort but it can work!

I just wanted to offer a little encouragement as well. I’ve never responded real well to stims throughout my 4 IVFs, but my RE didn’t check my AMH until after my third one (in which I had my son). My level was 0.6, and he said that was low but not too bad for my age. I can only imagine that my level wasn’t much higher than that for any of my cycles, and here I am watching a little boy play with his toys. It’s great that you found out so early. And I also wanted to say that you are in GREAT hands at CRMI. I went to Dr. Davis there and am always willing to recommend them to anyone! They are the best. Good luck!

Thank you for sharing your experience. I have a low 0.4 AMH and hoping for a baby. Your stories made me be more optimistic about my second IVF. Thanks…:flower: :cross:

Wanted to add a little hope to our low AMH thread. I got my :bfp: - it is still really early I know, but I think it is at least a step in the right direction. I am hoping this baby will stick. Just wanyted to share my good news, this was on our third clomid cycle - 2nd IUI cycle.

Hi Ladies! I just wanted to update you. I went to a couple REs to get their opinion on my Low AMH level (1.1) and borderline FSH (9). One of the good things about living in NYC is that you can go to three of the best docs in one week and choose which one you like :slight_smile: Anyway, one of the docs was very aggressive, saying I needed to try IUI once and then directly go into IVF starting in March. Whereas the other two docs said it isn’t that serious. Yes, I should start trying now, and not wait any longer, but no we don’t need to get drastic (yet). One of the doctors also took my blood on the 7th day after O and found that my progesterone is low as well (7.2). So I went with him, for being most thorough.

He has me taking 100mg of Clomid on day 3-7 this cycle. Then if I want to he said we can discuss IUI in the next few cycles.

He had no concerns for my AMH levels and said he believes I haven’t become pregnant yet because of the progesterone and not the AMH.

Hopefully this is the case, and I can happily post a BFP one day soon :slight_smile:

Good luck to you all! Its so nice to have a community of women who are going through similar circumstances! :cheer:

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]__________________
[/FONT] [FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=2]Me: 30, Hashimoto’s Disease[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=2], Low AMH, Low Progesterone
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=2]DH: 28, borderline motility[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=2]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=2]:paw: Asher (Mini Aussie)[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=2]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=2]:paw: Bambino (Orange Tabby)[/SIZE]

[/FONT] [FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=2]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=2][U][B]TTC since 09/2011[/B][/U]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=2]09/2010 - Went off BC, used Withdrawal Method
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=2]09/2011 - Started TTC
12/2011 - LOW AMH results
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=2]01/2012 - Initial consult w/ RE

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=2][U][B]Current Meds[/B][/U]
Synthroid - 175mcg/day

[B][U]1st Clomid Cycle[/U][/B]
[/SIZE]100mg days 3-7 started 1/29
Ovidrel Day 12, 13 or 14 depending on scan:cross:[/FONT]