40+ and wondering 3dt or 5 dt for IVF success?

Hi everyone!

I am currently waiting for an ectopic pregnancy to clear. This was my 5th IVF attempt and all were 3 day transfers. I just turned 42 and am going to try one more time if my insurance will allow and am wondering if women over 40 had more success with a 3dt or a 5dt. I have been doing some research and am leaning toward a 5 day but wanted to see what women thought. I know that it is something I need to discuss with my doctor and would not base my decision on this forum but thought it would be interesting to see the results.

Thanks!

:thankyou: I was just about to post the same question. I found a clinical trial that said there was no difference but it would be great to hear some real stories…

Here is the clinical trial I found.

Day 5 versus day 3 embryo transfer: a controlled randomized trial

Good luck and keep us posted.

Alicia

[QUOTE=13timesthecharm]Hi everyone!

I am currently waiting for an ectopic pregnancy to clear. This was my 5th IVF attempt and all were 3 day transfers. I just turned 42 and am going to try one more time if my insurance will allow and am wondering if women over 40 had more success with a 3dt or a 5dt. I have been doing some research and am leaning toward a 5 day but wanted to see what women thought. I know that it is something I need to discuss with my doctor and would not base my decision on this forum but thought it would be interesting to see the results.

Thanks![/QUOTE]
I was lucky to have 4 embryos make it to 5 day and had 2 transferred and 2 frozen. Unfortunately mine didn’t work but I think it just has to do with my age and not the difference between 3dt or 5dt. Good luck to you:flower:

[quote=sunrisec]:thankyou: I was just about to post the same question. I found a clinical trial that said there was no difference but it would be great to hear some real stories…

Here is the clinical trial I found.

Day 5 versus day 3 embryo transfer: a controlled randomized trial

Good luck and keep us posted.

Alicia[/quote]

Hello ladies. I’ll be doing a Day5 or Day 6 transfer if possible, otherwise a FET the following month. This is because my RE wants to wait and do full spectrum embryo testing at blastocyst stage which will happen at Say5 or Day6. If we can test the embryos on day 5 then my ET will be day 6. If we have to wait and test embryos on Day6, then they will be frozen and I’ll do a FET in a later month.

If you see my signature I have struggled with early miscarriages when I have been able to get pregnant. RE suspects this is due to poor quality embryos so we chose to screen them with genetic testing to try to avoid another pregnancy with early loss.

Sorry but I have not heard there is any difference Day3 or Day5 ET. For us it’s all about getting the best and healthiest embryos through the genetics testing.

bon-

bonbontree - I see you are on stims now - good luck to you on this cycle! May you have many healthy eggs hiding in there!!!:pray:

Hi,

I’ve had “success” with 5 Day transfers albeit that none of the pregnancies carried to term. I did one 3-day transfer that resulted in a BFN and then three 5 day transfers which all resulted in BFP’s…all at the age of 44. I think clearly pregnancy rates are higher for blast transfers, but that only makes sense as you can put back those embies which you know at least made it to day 5. On the other hand, I have seen ladies that never got pregnant with 5-day transfers become pregnant with 3-day transfers. I will say this, if you have several embies and you are unable to tell which ones to put back, a 5-day transfer may be the way to go as I myself saw how what may look good on day 3 may not look so good on Day 5 which is an advantage of a 5-day transfer. However, if you have say 5 or less on Day 3 and plan on putting them all back…I would just do a 30day transfer. Good luck!!

I love this thread… Nice to see some fellow “senior” girls still TTC… I’m a Day 5 fan. I did one Day 3 transfer and in hindsight I wish I would have used assisted hatching. I think those embryos probably had a hard time hatching. Also, it’s remarkable to see what happens to perfectly good Day 3 embryos by Day 5. I’ve had a few perfect 8 cell embryos on day 3 that stalled and were still 8 cells on Day 5. The Day3 vs Day5 debate is a big one and there are some REs that have firm beliefs both ways. AFM, I really think that especially with us 40+ girls, our best chances of getting something to implant is with a Day 5 transfer. We are going to have a higher number of genetically abnormal embryos in general and those embryos that don’t make it to Day 5 are very likely to be in that group of abnormals.

Good luck to you in your journey, I feel like we are all in this together!

I did a 3dt at age 42 and was successful. I was in a study, though, and had no choice. My RE told me that if it weren’t for the study parameters, he would prefer a 5dt.

I was also in the same study as Essemkay. I had a 3dt which was successful. I was a few months shy of my 40th b-day at the time of transfer.

Thanks for the input ladies. It is a lot to think about. If anyone else has opinions please post!!

I did a 3DT when I did my IVF cycle (my RE ONLY does 3DT as far as I know).

By day 3 I only had 5 out of 10 fertilized embies left, and they were NOT good quality. Thankfully one of those stuck and he is now 13 months old. I delivered at age 41 yrs 2 months.

I feel that had they waited, I may have had no embies to transfer in my case. My best one was only 6 cells!

My RE had told me I would not have any left to freeze, even though I had 20 retrieved. It was shocking to me, but everyone is different.

I am wondering if the reason why 5-day blast make it to pregnancy because if something makes it to 5 days- then it is good quality. But 3-days embryos you don’t know. The success rate may not have to do with when the ET is. A spurious correlation?

I just turned 40 (today) and thought our 5th IVF cycle would be the best since it was our first time making it to a 5dt, but we got a BFN today…I’ve seen so many successful 3dt and 5dt its hard to say either way…It does seem to make sense that a 5dt would tell you more about the embryos, but it still seems like a crap shoot over 40…We have one more try to roll the dice…

I am so sorry. I agree with the roll of the dice. I have been trying for almost 2 years. I live in MA and heard that insurance will pay for 6 attempts. I am now 42 and am hoping to try one more time once this extopic clears up. I was at the clinic today to see if I needed surgery. They are going to hold off for a bit to see if the 2nd dose of methotrexate will clear it up. I am so frustrated today that I am tempted to just forget it. But I couldn’t live with that decision if I did.

I have even thought about switching clinics for this last try. I just don’t know anymore. I never thought it would be this hard.

Hi 13timesthecharm,

Thanks for inviting me over to this board. A lot of great posts from people like me. I hope to start my first IVF cycle next week. I have all my meds. My IVF will include ISI and embryo hatching. I have a history of miscarriage, so I’ll take all your prayers that this process goes well!

I would seriously think about genetic testing of your embryos if you are 35+.

I just went through my last round of IVF and we had five 3 day embies that were all grade A. We tested the 3 day embryos using FISH for 24 chromosomes and found that 4 out of the 5 were abnormal. We had 1 normal and 3 abnormal that were growing to blast - so a 5 day embie is a good sign but doesn’t mean that the embie is chromosomally normal to give you a viable pregnancy.

I’m currently BFP with this one normal embie and god willing will hopefully have a uneventful pregnancy and healthy baby.

Testing can happen on Day 3 or Day 5 embryos - Day 3 can enable a fresh transfer while Day 5 testing usually requires you to freeze the embies before you get the results.

Best of luck to you. Wishing you a healthy baby!

Noelle - there are lots of great threads in the 40+ section. There is a more active one than this that a bunch of us post to regularly. It is called something linge 40+ and happy to have found you. You should check that out.

Tessa - my insurance won’t cover genetic testing ans since I am doing this on my own and paying for sperm I can’t afford the testing too. Plus, I usually put back all the embies I get so I figure the abnormal ones will not implant or miscarry. Thanks for the advice though.

Good luck to both of you!!