40+ looking for support

Hi ladies! I have had a failed IVF with my own eggs and a failed DE IVF. I was doing some research and came across the specialty of reproductive immunology. Have any of you been to a reproductive immunologist?

Hi, hun! I’m sorry I have no experience with reproductive immunologist consulting myself. But I’ve “met” people on forums dealing with it. Some fertility clinics offer tests and treatments which are based on the idea that immune cells in your body can ‘reject’ a fetus, preventing a successful pregnancy. Many of the tests assess the number or activity of immune cells called natural killer (NK) cells. If these tests show your NK cell number or activity is ‘high’ you may be offered an immunosuppressive therapy to reduce these levels. However, there is no strong evidence that high numbers or activity of NK cells is problematic.
Treatments to suppress NK cells offered by some clinics include:
[LIST]
[]steroids
[
]intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIg)
[]tumour necrosis factor-a (TNF) blocking agents
[
]intralipid infusions
[/LIST]
Also a bit of research on the point:
[SIZE=5][B]“What should I ask my doctor?[/B][/SIZE]
[B]If you are recommended immunological treatments as part of your fertility treatment, we advise you to make sure you feel properly informed about the risks of the tests and treatment.[/B]
Your clinic should explain:
[LIST]
[]why they think the tests and treatment may help you
[
]what the risks and side effects may be
[]how much the treatments will cost.
[/LIST]
Remember that treatments can only be properly assessed in the context of a proper clinical trial. Stories about individual women who have achieved a successful pregnancy after receiving these treatments do not prove that the treatments were effective. Without a proper clinical trial there is no way to assess whether a particular treatment has had any benefit.
Before agreeing to any immunological treatment, it is important to talk through all these topics with your clinic. You also need to have had an opportunity to weigh up all the issues, and you should feel happy with your decision.
Questions you may want to ask include:
[LIST]
[
]Why do you think I need this treatment - can you explain what you think is happening in my body?
[]What data or evidence do you have to prove that this treatment will improve my chance of having a baby?
[
]What will the treatment involve for me?
[]How much difference do you think having this treatment will make for me?
[
]What are the side effects and risks of the treatment?
[*]How much will the tests and treatment cost me?”
[/LIST]
Hope, this helps a bit. Wish you all the best with your further steps.