45+ TTC with Own Eggs (Ready to Keep Trying and Beat the Odds!)

Looking for company in the quest to go the distance in finding that one golden egg. It’s all out of pocket on my end, but I’m ready to try like hell to have a first baby. Hope there will be others with me so we can support each other in a thread here. It’s a tough road but so much better together. Hope there are some other 45+ year old spectacular ladies out there giving it their all. I’ll post all my stats if we get a group started. Really hope there will be a few joining, no matter what stage you are at. Would LOVE the company!!

Hello…I will join you! I am 46 yrs old. This will be my first IVF and only try. Currently I am in the 2WW stage of my cycle. My beta is 8/30.

I just turned 45. There are no more IVFs in our future, but we’re going to try 3 unmedicated IUIs before throwing in the towel completely. I have a saline sonogram scheduled for Monday to make sure there is no scarring or residual fetal tissue from our recent loss.

Crossing my fingers for you, riomac5! How many embryos did you transfer?

The Dr transfered 2 3day (1 8cell/1 5 cell). Thanks essemkay. My fingers are crossed too.

Oh, weird. The posts are all out of order. Is that the case for anyone else?

:welcome:Riomac5 - so happy to hear your exciting news and also that you’ll be a part of sharing the journey. I will definitely say prayers :pray: for you and can’t wait to hear how your beta is on 8/30. I am thrilled for you! Hang in there during the 2WW and check in on how you are doing! Lots of :gsv::bsv:!!!

:welcome:Essemkay - thanks so much for joining and I am incredibly sorry for your recent loss. My heart aches for what you have endured and you are truly brave and strong. I admire how much courage and tenacity you have. That is how I hope to be. I am so glad you are here. I also plan the same path…to see how the IVFs go for as long as we can afford it and then I’ll keep trying whatever way after, IUI, TI, pee on an ovulation stick every day if I have to. :slight_smile:

My11:11wish - I don’t know what happened to the thread but [U]thank you so much for your good wishes[/U], that is INCREDIBLY thoughtful!!! [B]Wishing you very much success too on your new path!!![/B]

AFM - I have never tried to get pregnant until now, meeting the love of my life late in life after being divorced. I have no idea what is possible and I admire you both that you have children and hope to find a way to share that incredible joy. When I started this journey 7 months ago, I never knew how much your body supposedly drops off the fertility cliff, or so all the doctors say. Who knew you turn 45 and apparently every goes to h*ll. :slight_smile: Well, I have never been more determined to find a way and find that one perfect egg and I appreciate the company!!! Please let me know whatever I can do to support you!! :grouphug:

Thank you for helping explain the threads now and wishing you all luck in getting everything working perfectly soon. As you can see, many of us use these as a lifeline, which we are grateful to have, and just lost without the support while we go through such an important and highly emotional journey.

Just a quick note, on some established threads, the most recent posts are showing up on the first page but if you hit the 2nd page, it’s the oldest posts from the beginning. Thank you, again.

[QUOTE=essemkay;n2598265]I just turned 45. There are no more IVFs in our future, but we’re going to try 3 unmedicated IUIs before throwing in the towel completely. I have a saline sonogram scheduled for Monday to make sure there is no scarring or residual fetal tissue from our recent loss.

Crossing my fingers for you, riomac5! How many embryos did you transfer?[/QUOTE]

Hi essemkay, how did your saline sonogram go? I hope everything looked good! :cross:

[QUOTE=riomac5;n2598272]The Dr transfered 2 3day (1 8cell/1 5 cell). Thanks essemkay. My fingers are crossed too.[/QUOTE]

Hi riomac5, how are you doing during your 2WW? I have never had the chance to even experience a 2WW so I am thrilled for you and saying a prayer with lots of :gsv:. Hope you are feeling good!

Thank you for your wishes. As my beta date approaches I am getting excited and nervous. I have decided that I will push out my beta testing until Tuesday (Sept 3). However, I did buy a HPT. I will do this on Saturday when my DH and I are together. I don’t think I can hancle bad news at work. I do not want to have a melt down in the office. So unprofessional. If I get a BPN during my beta testing, I will be able to better prepared for the news.

riomac5 - I had my DBF’s family in town staying with us and didn’t have a minute to get online. I hope you are doing well. Did you get your results? I am :pray::pray::pray::pray: for you!!!

Hello MiraclesAt4546, I did get my result but not what I wanted. It was a BFN…disheartening. I have my WTF appt this Saturday 9/7. I have decided to wait 3 months before my next attempt. How are you doing?

riomac5 - I am so sorry for the BFN! I will write more tonight but just wanted to check in and saw your note. Please hang in there…my first IVF didn’t work and I am looking at this as a journey, no matter our age. Thinking about you and hoping you are OK. Lots of hugs and support coming your way and will write more later. Please hang in there!! It will be OK.

Thank you for your kind words…sorry your first IVF didn’t work either. Had our appointment with our RE. He went over everything. He said our embabies were beautiful…they grade from 0 to 5, 5 being excellent. He transfered one 8cell grade 5 and a 4cell grade 5 (3day). He is now suggesting donor eggs…my husband is partial to the idea at time. He wants more of a guaranteed of getting a baby. We are paying everything out of pocket so it is hard on the finance side. We stoke a deal, I want to dedicate 3 months of diet change and supplements to try to improve egg quality. If it does not work we are done. Your thoughts on supplements? I was thinking DHEA, royal jelly, etc… I have noticed the ladies over 40 who have had successful cycles all take these supplements.

Hi riomac5, I hope you are doing OK. I know the statistics are really tough on us 46 year olds (I just turned 46 last week so we I’m there with you!). I want to keep trying with my own eggs for as long as possible. We are paying out of pocket too so I know it’s tough. You are also doing exactly what I did. I took off these 3 months to hope new supplements I started will kick in.

I am taking Wheatgrass, Myo-Inosital (aobut 2grams) Omega 3’s, DHEA 25 mg 3 times/day, Reservatrol, Vitamin D3 5000mg/day. Most important - started Ubiquinol right after my failed IVF - changed from CoQ10 to Ubiquinol 400mg to now 800mg/day. I hope so much that helps as there is research for that the most. Folic acid 800mg.

Someone also just sent me this advice and I’m going to check it out too to modify what I am doing:

[B]MiraclesAt4546 [/B]Since you are into supplements, I’ll throw in my $0.02. My RE recommends 400 micrograms of folic acid a day (I suggest you take [B]folate[/B], as it is a much more bioavailable form, and those with the MTHFR mutation don’t absorb folic acid), 500-1,000 mg EPA/DHA ([B]omega 3[/B]) a day (I’ve seen other REs suggest 1,000-2,000mg, so I take 2,000mg/day) and 400mg [B]CoQ10[/B] twice a day (as you’ve pointed out, Ubiquinol is better). With regards to [B]vitamin D3[/B], he says it needs to be at 40 ng/ml which is the absolute minimum. I used to take 2,000 IU/day and my vitamin D levels went from something pathetic like 27 to 33. Then I started taking 10,000 IU/day and it’s now 89. [B]Wheatgrass[/B] tastes like I’m eating my lawn. I bought a jar and I will finish it, but what is more effective is [B]liquid chlorophyll[/B]. Buy a 16oz bottle and add 2 tbsp to 1 liter of water and a little bit of lime/lemon/juice. Drink 1L dailiy.

After reading the excellent book “Making Babies”, I also take [B]royal jelly [/B]and 2g of[B] myo-inositol[/B] twice a day. I found information on myo-inositol helping egg quality here http://pullingdownthemoon.com/fertil…e-egg-quality/ and my RE agreed it was a good idea. The article also talks about taking melatonin but I don’t take it since I’m hypothyroid.

I hope this helps get you started. It’s the best thing I think I can do to improve my egg quality and hoping it will work. Also, I am going to do PGD testing so freezing any embryos if I am lucky to get Day 5 embies and will test that chromosomes are OK. That may be something you can do too to make sure any emryo transferred is already tested “normal” - a word you will hear alot.

Keep me posted and I’m hoping you are feeling good.

Definitely you should do day 5 genetic testing. I think that could be your answer.

Miracles, thank you for all the advise and suggestions. All those supplements are on my list. Now the question is; does the name brand of the supplement make a difference?

Cosmopolitan, thank you for your advice. I did talk to my RE about doing the testing. That is somthing we will be doing, granted that we get more than two eggs on the next try.

[QUOTE=riomac5;n2604601]Miracles, thank you for all the advise and suggestions. All those supplements are on my list. Now the question is; does the name brand of the supplement make a difference?

[/QUOTE]

I don’t know of any particular brands except that the DHEA should be micronized and Ubiquitol is the best form of CoQ10 for when you are over 40. I learned that after my first IVF and switched immediately to it. Praying it helps!!

Did you start any supplements yet?

Hello Miracles! Actually I just finished picking up the rest of the supplements last night. Boy, nothing on this process is cheap. Now I will set a date to start…for the count down to begin. Seeing all those bottles of medicines seems overwhelming. But I guess we have to do what we have to do to make “it” happen. So…how are you doing?

and those supplements I do believe help ones chances