46 female just went to DR/consult

This was the first time I went to the DR regarding this. My fiance and myself are looking to explore having a child. He spoke to us for about 45 minutes and went over basic stuff. Looking for feedback from the community. He is 47 and I’m 46 with no kids. The bad news if you will…success rate for IUI is one percent…maybe cause of my age?? Miscarriage is 50 percent and downs is about 1/18. These numbers don’t look promising. Never the less…we are using my eggs and his sperm should we progress. What does the community think of this so far?? Is it worthwhile to seek out a top DR/Center for this rather then a local DR?? How much better/more promising is IVF?? Thank you all.

46, did you go to an OBGYN or an RE? Your numbers, sadly, aren’t going to be promising at your age, but most REs will talk you through more options than an IUI.

re

Went to an RE and he spoke about donar eggs etc…me and my partner are going to try us both rather then donars. Initial test fhe maybe?? was 25…they will repeat after period.

The RE you met with likely recommended donor egg due to your age and the increased incidence of genetic anomalies such as Downs that occur when older eggs are used. Did he seem to think there was a good chance you would be able to produce a significant number of viable eggs? How do you feel about preimplantation genetic testing (testing embryos prior to implantation for genetic defects)? That would allow you to implant only embryos you know do not have such abnormalities. There are no easy answers to these questions. Only the two of you can decide what is right for you.

[QUOTE=46nyfem]This was the first time I went to the DR regarding this. My fiance and myself are looking to explore having a child. He spoke to us for about 45 minutes and went over basic stuff. Looking for feedback from the community. He is 47 and I’m 46 with no kids. The bad news if you will…success rate for IUI is one percent…maybe cause of my age?? Miscarriage is 50 percent and downs is about 1/18. These numbers don’t look promising. Never the less…we are using my eggs and his sperm should we progress. What does the community think of this so far?? Is it worthwhile to seek out a top DR/Center for this rather then a local DR?? How much better/more promising is IVF?? Thank you all.[/QUOTE]
It can happen with own eggs. I know someone your age where it did hahhen with oe. Find a doctor that has hope for you. Interview several ones and take supplements

Fertility

Thanks for the info/posts to all. We are going to do the blood work and see what happens. We only spoke to one DR and he never mentioned about testing embroy’s prior to placing them…will def look into. IVF is covered up to a maximum of 50K lifetime.

[QUOTE=46nyfem]Thanks for the info/posts to all. We are going to do the blood work and see what happens. We only spoke to one DR and he never mentioned about testing embroy’s prior to placing them…will def look into. IVF is covered up to a maximum of 50K lifetime.[/QUOTE]

If IVF is covered then don’t waist your time with IUIs you chances are much higher with IVF. I would also say to make sure you speak with a few REs. I learned the hard way and had to change REs after many failed IUIs only to find out that I had basically been throwing my money away. They say that when doing IUI there is not much difference from RE to RE other then knowledge and the right meds to put you on, but can’t go wrong with the IUI it self. Now when it comes to IVF there is a Huge difference in the REs ability. Their ability surgically makes a huge impact on how comfortable the process it and how safely the egg transfer is. The second thing to look into is the lab your RE uses. They are the ones that do the heavy lifting and when it is all said and done they play a big part in the success rate.
Either way make sure you are doing what ever you and your DH are comfortable with. Don’t let anyone scare you into a decision. Make sure you are comfortable with your RE it is worth the time to find one you like. Good luck!

[QUOTE=46nyfem]Thanks for the info/posts to all. We are going to do the blood work and see what happens. We only spoke to one DR and he never mentioned about testing embroy’s prior to placing them…will def look into. IVF is covered up to a maximum of 50K lifetime.[/QUOTE]

If IVF is covered then don’t waist your time with IUIs you chances are much higher with IVF. I would also say to make sure you speak with a few REs. I learned the hard way and had to change REs after many failed IUIs only to find out that I had basically been throwing my money away. They say that when doing IUI there is not much difference from RE to RE other then knowledge and the right meds to put you on, but can’t go wrong with the IUI it self. Now when it comes to IVF there is a Huge difference in the REs ability. Their ability surgically makes a huge impact on how comfortable the process it and how safely the egg transfer is. The second thing to look into is the lab your RE uses. They are the ones that do the heavy lifting and when it is all said and done they play a big part in the success rate.
Either way make sure you are doing what ever you and your DH are comfortable with. Don’t let anyone scare you into a decision. Make sure you are comfortable with your RE it is worth the time to find one you like. Good luck!