6w3d but measuring 5 days behind

Hi all, I’m confused when I should be celebrating.:confused:

First, just to vent… I’ve been frustrated that while my 1st IFV was a success, the level of monitoring that I’ve received post transfer has been minimal. I got a positive beta of 54 10dp5dt and my doctor did not request a second beta (I snuck in on my own for a 2nd 4 days later) or requested any tests for progesterone levels.

I had my first ultrasound yesterday at 6weeks, 3days (4w 3dp ER). The tech was pleasant and wasn’t positive or negative, just kept saying, well it’s really small, it’s really early. Even so we saw and [U]heard[/U] a heartbeat (very faintly, for just a few seconds). Great news, I know! I should be celebrating! But then she measured the fetal pole at 2mm and said I was measuring 5 weeks, 5 days. She didn’t say that was bad or okay, cause for concern, or perfectly fine, or anything else. ( I don’t know what the heart rate was, she didn’t tell me or couldn’t determine it. We’ll pick up all the printed results on Monday. )

I called my doctor and she said, well that’s great come in on Tuesday to discuss, and it looks like you’re ready for release to OB.

But I’m so confused. If I’m measuring behind, even with the presence of a heartbeat, shouldn’t I have some more monitoring before I’m just turned loose? I’m going to ask this on Tuesday of course, but my feeling is I’ll get a brush off as my doctor has been so laid back and casual since the beginning. Something I haven’t really been able to complain about given that we were successful with our 1st IVF. I sort of feel like her attitude is if it sticks it sticks, if it doesn’t it doesn’t, more monitoring isn’t going to change the outcome.

(None of my worries are helped by the fact that I don’t feel particularly pregnant. Sore bb’s but that could be from the progesterone I’m taking. My skin is breaking out, but other than that, nada. I should be grateful I suppose, but I just wish my body would give me a clue!!)

So I guess my question is, should I be worried that I am measuring only 2mm at 6 1/2 weeks - 5 days behind. Is that measurement accurate? I thought you could only see a heartbeat when it reached 5mm, but the tech seemed so sure. Should I demand more scans, more blood work… ?

And also, for those of you who have been released to an OB, did you feel like you got comprehensive care that is specific to your IVF pregnancy or have you felt like you just got shuffled in with the rest of the normal fertile, no big woop, prenatal care. I will of course ask for a referral to someone who has experience with IVF, but I’ll be starting from scratch with someone new as sadly my old ob/gyn went off my insurance.

Thanks for your help! Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving![U][/U]

I measured behind 3-5 days at every u/s until I hit about 13 weeks and didn’t even hear a HB at 6w2d. I am now 17w2d and still cooking and baby is right on track. Hopefully your next u/s gives you more reassurance. I wouldn’t hesitate to request that they do at least 1 more u/s in a few weeks to recheck measurements. I think my RE did about 5 or 6 u/s before he released me to my OB. I also had an SCH which was part of the increased monitoring but nonetheless. I hope you get some reassuring news.

Hi Dharmadog - congrats on your BFP! So exciting. Your RE may be thinking that s/he will do another ultrasound next week and then you could go to a regular OB at 8 weeks. That’s pretty standard; some REs follow you a little longer, but 8 weeks isn’t a bad time to see a regular RE. I hate to say it, but there’s very little that either of them could do this early on if things are not working out, no matter how much monitoring you have (and I say that from sad experience.)

What I would do, in terms of finding an OB, is start asking people you know for one who does pay a lot of personal attention. In my area, these are generally docs in an individual practice, or maybe with one or two partners. If there’s a moms’ group by you, these are also a great resource for doctor recommendations. Another good thing to ask about is docs who are experienced with more complicated pregnancies – they seem to be more used to investing the time with individual patients. I think with the right OB, you’ll be in better hands than with your RE. Good luck!

Just saw you are in Brazil. If you happen to be in Sao Paulo, I have a good friend who lives there, and I can ask her to ask around for referrals if you need more people to talk to.

Hi,
Thanks for the replies. BuckeyeTTC, thanks, glad to know that everything is now right on track for you. I am going to request another scan, just for a little more peace of mind. Even though I know it can’t necessarily change the outcome, but it can make my mental state a little better.

Kimberf, thanks - I wish I was in Sao Paulo - I’d have so many more options and a group of ex-pats as well. But unfortunately I’m in a smallish city closer to Rio. (Actually I should be grateful for not being in the big cities because they have their own sets of problems with all the crime!) Quality of care here seems to run the gamut, from excellent to mediocre. At least I got lucky with the one and only fertility clinic in the area.

Good luck with your ER on Monday. I hope this cycle is a big success!:babydust::babydust:

[quote=dharmadog]Hi,
Thanks for the replies. BuckeyeTTC, thanks, glad to know that everything is now right on track for you. I am going to request another scan, just for a little more peace of mind. Even though I know it can’t necessarily change the outcome, but it can make my mental state a little better.

Kimberf, thanks - I wish I was in Sao Paulo - I’d have so many more options and a group of ex-pats as well. But unfortunately I’m in a smallish city closer to Rio. (Actually I should be grateful for not being in the big cities because they have their own sets of problems with all the crime!) Quality of care here seems to run the gamut, from excellent to mediocre. At least I got lucky with the one and only fertility clinic in the area.

Good luck with your ER on Monday. I hope this cycle is a big success!:babydust::babydust:[/quote]

Hi, I am also measuring 5 days behind. Congratulations on the scan/heart beat. Just try and relax, im sure every thing is ok xxx

I’ve heard early measurements are kind of hit and miss-when you are talking about a mm or some portion of a mm being slightly off in angle or having it slightly curled will make a big difference. My current doctor told me to watch for trends from one ultrasound to the next–not to stress individual measurements with one. I was told the critical thing was the presence of a heartbeat. Once it’s detected, the RE said miscarriage was less than 5% chance. I felt I had a bit of the same treatment after the BFP though, I totally dropped off of their radar. I only had two US before being released to an OB. I never had progesterone or estrogen tested, though I’m finding out that’s not that uncommon with the level of supplements we are on. I know its strange after the intensive focus to get to this point, but I wouldn’t worry about it to much. Good luck and Congratulations!

My second baby measured behind like that and I was really concerned too. But my OB reassured me by saying that when they put the curser on one end of the fetal pole and measure to the other end, if they are just a TINY bit off on starting at the very edge of the fetal pole or the gestational sac that it would measure the baby much smaller than it really is. I think my girl measured 4 days behind once. My OB always said as long as they measure 3-5 days within what they should then everything is fine. Plus if you saw/heard a HB then that is a REALLY good sign. Best wishes.

i just wanted to chime in on the OB standpoint. I was actually really disappointed after being released to my OB … who i really love and credit for alot of good decision making in my IF journey. I didnt feel like they understood that i may need or want more appointments due to not only the frequency in which the RE did things but also bc of everything we had to do to get here. After i while i made it known that i needed more from them . My suggestion if you do get released make sure they know up front what you need from them and if you dont get it find a place that will be thoughtful

Thank you all for the encouragement! I’m keeping my finger’s crossed that all is normal and it might just be a bit off in the measurements. She did have a bit of a hard time because of the position of my uterus and I had to lay in a kind of bridge position with my hips up. Not so comfortable.

I’ll have my exit meeting with my RE tomorrow and will definitely express my concerns about needing some more support. Especially with the holidays coming up - I’m concerned I’m not going to be able to get an appointment with anyone until after the New Year.

Now if someone could just tell me what to do about my suddenly teenage acne! :smiley: