7 failed IUIs - Advice, Tests?

Hello,

I just finished my 7th IUI cycle and it was another negative. My dr tells me that there isn’t anything “wrong” with me and that eventually this method will work, but I can’t help but think something is wrong. Clearly things aren’t “lining up,” so how do I investigate more into this and find out where things are going wrong? I’ve asked about my egg quality, thinking that maybe my eggs are bad but my doctor says that my egg quality is checked every cycle and there isn’t anything wrong with my egg quality either. The only thing he has said is that I have a hard time ovulating regularly/on my own, so he monitors me closely. I’m on Follistim, Crinone (progesterone) and I trigger with HCG as directed by him. So this means I am ovulating, right?

To further complicate things, we are also using frozen donor sperm. I believe 100% that this lowers the chances of conceiving when you compare it to fresh sperm, but we do not have that option. I am 33 years old and I’ve never tried to get pregnant before. Also, I was on birth control for suppression of ovarian cysts for 15 years. I went off of the pill last October and we started trying to get pregnant in December. My dr has started expressing that he might recommend IVF at this point. That is not something we are against, as a last option, but why would he recommend this if, according to him, nothing is wrong with me? He continues to say that he feels that IUI WILL eventually work and that it’s all about timing. So how can we fix the problem of “timing”? Closer monitoring? I don’t know what else…

Also, my insurance says that I must have 12 failed IUI cycles and then they will pay 90% of up to 3 IVF cycles. I do not see how we can afford even one cycle of IVF at this point, since we have lost a total of $28,000 since December with all of this.

I would very much appreciate as much advice that is offered.

Thank you in advance,

Jill

Hi. I’m so sorry about all of your failed IUIs. I really don’t know anything about them as I went straight to IVF because I had to have my tubes taken out before even beginning ttc. I do know that sometimes you can’t really tell the exact quality of the eggs/embryos until they can actually see them. Before IVF all my tests came back great and they said that I’d have no problems getting pregnant with IVF. However, after the 1st stim cycle, it was canceled due to poor response. We then changed to antagonist protocol and they noticed that my eggs were very grainy. She said that they aren’t the best quality and even though all my tests looked good if I had ever tried to get pregnant on my own (assuming my tubes were good), most likely I’d still end up having to do IVF. I also don’t have the best fertilization rate, even though my husband’s sperm is good. So, you just never know! I’d say if you can afford IVF, go for it, but I do know how crazy expensive it is. Otherwise, just get through the rest of the IUIs so that you can finally get IVF covered. Good luck and I’m sure that it will eventually work out for you!

I too am in the high failure count of IUI. Just had number 8 yesterday. Timing is a pain, and sometimes I feel doctors are not aggressive enough. If I have learned anything in my 4 years of TTC, it’s to do your own research and keep trying new things, it will keep you sane. Acupuncture, Yoga, Tai Chi, Insulin Resistance, Exercise, diet…If you are going through cycle monitoring, they have a pretty good concept of time, especially if using a trigger.
I’m Canadian, so the insurance thing is beyond me, we pay for our fertility treatments, but it’s nothing close to $28,000.
Stay Positive! Remember the end goal!

Is there anyway you can get a second opinion from another RE? Maybe a change in RE’s and cocktails will help you? Also, can you do two IUI’s in one cycle so that you can use up the remaining IUI’s you have left? I’ve read of several women having an IUI at 24hrs past trigger and 36hrs. (Just a thought) I assume you’ve had an HSG to view your tubes?

I think it’s time you moved on to another RE or go to IVF. 12 failed IUIs to move onto IVF is seriously CRAZY. My first Dr was fine doing IUIs forever since tests showed there was no reason for them not to work, but sometimes there’s a reason they’re not seeing with IUIs that become apparent when you do IVF. I really wish we had moved on to IVF sooner and not wasted so much time and money on IUIs.

Yes, IVF is expensive, but with what you’ve said you spend on your IUIs so far that could pay for at least one IVF cycle, which has a much higher success rate.

Thank you everyone for all your support and advice. I think we are going to try and find a new doctor. Our doctor now is obviously missing something. He says there isn’t anything wrong from me from what he can see…but obviously there is something wrong. Whether its me or the doctor…who knows…but we are ready for next steps. I always did find it funny/strange that our doctor required 2 vials of sperm for each insemination. Ive never heard of that before.

We would prefer to do IVF now but we can’t afford it. We have already poured so much money down the IUIs itself. Ahhhh! The stress. :frowning: so continuing IUIs due to no other choice.

Thanks again,
Jill

Kirby24 is you hubby on this board too?! I just responded to a post similar to yours! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Kirby24]Thank you everyone for all your support and advice. I think we are going to try and find a new doctor. Our doctor now is obviously missing something. He says there isn’t anything wrong from me from what he can see…but obviously there is something wrong. Whether its me or the doctor…who knows…but we are ready for next steps. I always did find it funny/strange that our doctor required 2 vials of sperm for each insemination. Ive never heard of that before.

We would prefer to do IVF now but we can’t afford it. We have already poured so much money down the IUIs itself. Ahhhh! The stress. :frowning: so continuing IUIs due to no other choice.

Thanks again,
Jill[/QUOTE]

Hello there,
I just read this thread and you mentioned two vials of sperm. I too had to order two vials in order to do back to back IUIs. Also it may not be your RE. Did you ever request the sperm counts of the vials following the thaw? I had a problem with a cryo bank in that there vials were suboptimal and they needed to send me vials for free!
What other testing did your doctor do? Do you have PCOS? If so did the RE put you on metformin? I went thru several IUIs before moving on to IVF and I wish I moved directly into IVF earlier. But cost was an issue.

Here are some tests which I had to get a diagnosis for fertility.
Hystersalpingagram, ultrasounds, hysteroscopy with uterine biopsy (biopsy helps for implantation), several blood tests for diseases, thyroid, etc… Did you ever havee problems with endometriosis or fibroids?

Sorry for the rant, but I am just trying to send info your way for the future. Good luck and baby dust coming your way!