7th IUI, Cycle Seems Really Fast, Ready to Throw in Towel – Words of Wisdom?


#1

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Hello all,[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]My wife is having her seventh IUI tomorrow. We use donorsperm, wife has no known issues. My issue is that it just seems too soon in thecycle. [/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]As background, here is a breakdown so far – [/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Jan – Unmedicated through cycle. Ovidrel trigger. Onefollicle. B2B. Progesterone supp. Negative.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Feb – New donor. 25mg clomid. Ovidrel trigger. 1 maybe 2follicles. B2B. Progesterone supp. Negative.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Mar – New donor, new bank. 50 mg clomid. Ovidrel trigger. 2follicles. B2B. Progesterone supp. Negative.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Apr – 50 mg clomid. Ovidrel trigger. 3 follicles. B2B.Progesterone supp. Negative.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]May – 50 mg clomid. Ovidreal trigger. 2 maybe 3 follicles.Progesterone supp. Negative.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Jun – New donor, new bank. 75mg Bravelle 4 days, then 112mgBravelle. Ovidrel trigger. 1 maybe 2 follicles. Progesterone supp. Negative.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Now we come to this month – [/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]New donor, same bank. 112mg Bravelle days 3-6. 75mg Bravelleday 7. Nothing day 8. She had about 5-6 follicles between 14.5 and 16 mm on day9 so they said we had to trigger day 9 or cancel the whole thing. IUI isscheduled for tomorrow on day 11.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Does that seem too soon? She’s never had IUI before day 13before, and the follicles have always been at least 18mm on the morning of thetrigger (but usually between 19 and 21).[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]I want this to be our last try because it’s just too hard tohave so much disappointment month after month, and the constant symptom watch(she has had every single symptom that has ever been mentioned in at least onecycle, to include the dark brown spotting most people associate withimplantation). Not to mention the financial stress of paying for very costlyIUIs and donor sperm each month. But, then I think that this month is already abust because it’s so early. I also just don’t like the thought of my wifeputting so many drugs into her body for this. My only concern with stopping isthat we, unlike many other couples, have zero chance of a miracle “natural”pregnancy. If we stop treatment, we stop chances of my wife ever giving birth.We have always planned to adopt, so it’s not a matter of not having children,but it would be giving up what has become seemingly a relentless goal of havingthis happen. It seems like our entire lives have been on hold since the beginningof the year thinking, “well, this month HAS to be the time it works”, but itnever is, and I’ve come to the realization that it likely never will be. Mywife isn’t quite to that point, but I think she is close, and will probably bethere when this month’s cycle fails again.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]So, what to do?[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]


#2

i’m kind of surprised that they upped her bravelle dose in this last cycle, given that she already responded well to the lower dose. now they’ve got a lot of follies to contend with. day 11 is not “too” early, tho i’m not sure why they wouldn’t wait another day, maybe without meds. the risk of cancelling is there i guess, but so is the risk of multiples. do you know what her e2 was?

i do hope this is it for you guys! cycle after cycle of disappointment is no fun, and the switch to injectibles is promising.

if you can afford to do maybe one more cycle, it may be worth a try. but hopefully you won’t need to.

good luck!


#3

My11:11 - My wife will be 34 on Saturday, so she hasn’t yet reached the window where they say fertility goes down - but we definitely want it to work without wasting a lot of time :slight_smile: She’s been tested for everything as far as I know - hormone panels, HSG, etc. No lap or anything since that hasn’t been warranted.

IVF isn’t something we want to do really. It’s expensive, and since we plan to adopt internationally we would rather use the money we have saved for that instead of IVF.

Becca - I guess they upped the dose because last month she only had one follicle, with a possible second by the time of the IUI. They wanted to give us more chances, and since all the other months with multiple follicles have failed I guess they aren’t too concerned with 2-3 follicles, though they are nervous of the risk with 5-6 understandably - as are we! Though, again, because it hasn’t worked yet we figure the chances of all (or any) of them working this time is extremely slim.

I don’t know her E2 (I assume that means estrogen?) for sure, but I think she mentioned something like 200 or maybe between 200 and 300 as of yesterday morning. Now, I have no idea what that means or if it’s good or bad so… (though I have to note that I have no idea on this because I only asked my wife “What were the hormone levels” and she almost never asks those questions, so she may not know which number she heard)

Thanks for the responses!


#4

While yes it could be to early, they are doing it because of the follies being all around the same size. They want to prevent high order multiples.

I will say though those can have an egg in them and ovulate. The trigger will give the follies a boost in growth. So it could mature them. On my first IUI i had a 18, 17 and a 15 on the day of trigger and got triplets.

If her E2 level is 200-300 thats kinda low for that many follies. So im surprised they want to trigger her just yet.

Either way, give it a go. You never know what can happen. Goodluck!


#5

my11:11 - Yes, we do plan to adopt. That is our first choice way of having a family (well, actually, my first choice way, my wife’s concurrent first choice along with carrying a child). It just takes a ton more time to do it, and we are pursuing both international and foster care. We don’t have any interest in domestic infant adoption at this point.

I wish the donor were the issue, but I fear that’s not it - we are on our 5th donor and third bank. Though, we are hoping that this one is the magic charm.


#6

if that’s the e2, it seems like you’re getting one mature follicle. a second may catch up. i hope this works out foryou.

if there is a need to do another cycle, you might consider requesting that they start low again and only increase the dose as needed. from what i’ve seen it allows for more control over the number of maturing follicles. it’s better if there’s a clear 1-2 in the lead.


#7

Thanks for the replies everyone.

She had the IUI yesterday at around 1230, so now we have to wait. Worst sperm count yet (funny how every time we switch donors and banks they seem to get worse!), but still 11 million motile which is supposed to be good enough. We have no idea how many follicles or what her hormone levels were after Monday morning… so hopefully there was something good going on in there between then and the time of IUI.