Abdominal pain after methotrexate?

Hello everyone,

I had two shots of methotrexate in december
The first one on the 20th, the second one on the 27th.
They gave me a second dose because my hcg did not go down after the first one.

After the first dose I felt absolutely nothing. No bleeding no cramping. However, 4 days after the second dose I started bleeding (light) and having cramps that can be very intense. Like painful AF cramps. The weird thing is they happen only at night. During the day I’m fine.

Obviously I’m worried that it could be a tubal rupture. Has anyone experienced cramping (painful) after methotrexate?

[quote=Frederica]Hello everyone,

I had two shots of methotrexate in december
The first one on the 20th, the second one on the 27th.
They gave me a second dose because my hcg did not go down after the first one.

After the first dose I felt absolutely nothing. No bleeding no cramping. However, 4 days after the second dose I started bleeding (light) and having cramps that can be very intense. Like painful AF cramps. The weird thing is they happen only at night. During the day I’m fine.

Obviously I’m worried that it could be a tubal rupture. Has anyone experienced cramping (painful) after methotrexate?[/quote]

I am currently going through the same thing. I had my second shot on Saturday after a spike in my hcg levels. Today I am very crampy and bloated. I saw the doctor yesterday and she said you will know when your tube is rupturing. You will have incredible pain, anal pressure, and you will feel horrible. You will might have trouble breathing or pain in your shoulders. Also, if your tube is rupturing the pain tends to be in one particular spot versus all over. I was having that in December and again on Friday. I hope that helps.

13timesthecharm

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry you are going through this as well…
The Re I spoke to had told me it was normal to have cramps, but I guess I am also scared and I might be a little bit paranoid right now.

What your Re said makes sense, the pain must be unbearable when a tube ruptures.

Right now what I have is cramps on and off, but some of them are really painful.

What is your hcg at right now? Mine was around 2000 last week. I went for another hcg test this morning, I should get the results by tonight or tomorrow. I really hope it went down this time

[quote=Frederica]13timesthecharm

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry you are going through this as well…
The Re I spoke to had told me it was normal to have cramps, but I guess I am also scared and I might be a little bit paranoid right now.

What your Re said makes sense, the pain must be unbearable when a tube ruptures.

Right now what I have is cramps on and off, but some of them are really painful.

What is your hcg at right now? Mine was around 2000 last week. I went for another hcg test this morning, I should get the results by tonight or tomorrow. I really hope it went down this time[/quote]

My hcg was never as high as yours. It went up as high as 593 then was down to the 300’s and went back up to 400 something on Saturday. This whole thing is so disappointing. I am a teacher and am trying to teach but I just don’t feel good and am so uncomfortable. I know about the paranoia. I feel like I am waiting for something bad to happen. It is very stressful. They told me that hcg levels usually have to be pretty high for something to rupture. While it can happen at lower levels, it is pretty uncommon. With that said, I have had some pretty intense pain - at times so strong I thought I was going to be sick. They did give me vicodin to help with that. It might not hurt to call your RE and see if there is something he can prescribed to help manage your pain.

My fingers are crossed that both of our levels go down soon and quickly.

I had horrible pain from the shot as well. I had the shot on a Tuesday and actually ended up in the ER by that Thursday. My beta wasn’t high by any means by that time (I believe it went from 51 the day of the shot to 21 on Thursday). The ER just felt it was normal and I was finally “passing” whatever was in me and the reason for all the pain. I was a little embarrassed to go to the ER though and kept telling my DH that the staff is going to make fun of me because I’m going to the ER because I got my period :slight_smile: In the end, after some medicine I was better within hours and didn’t feel any pain the next day.

I hope yours isn’t so severe… it sounds like you’re is gradually coming down. I’m sorry you have to go through this! I wish you the best for the future!

13times, : They did prescribed me something last week, I picked it up just now. It’s Naproxen. I never took it before, but I hope it helps.

I understand how you feel. I’ve been feeling really down and sad about this experience. I took some time off work because I really can’t deal with it. I’m a lawyer and staying up late and going to court is really not a possibility right now, especially with these awful cramps.

I :pray: that our levels go down very quickly.

JnJ’sJourney: Thanks for your reply. It comforts me to know I’m not the only one with these intense cramps after methotrexate. I’m sorry you had to go through this as well.

[QUOTE=JnJ’sJourney]I had horrible pain from the shot as well. I had the shot on a Tuesday and actually ended up in the ER by that Thursday. My beta wasn’t high by any means by that time (I believe it went from 51 the day of the shot to 21 on Thursday). The ER just felt it was normal and I was finally “passing” whatever was in me and the reason for all the pain. I was a little embarrassed to go to the ER though and kept telling my DH that the staff is going to make fun of me because I’m going to the ER because I got my period :slight_smile: In the end, after some medicine I was better within hours and didn’t feel any pain the next day.

I hope yours isn’t so severe… it sounds like you’re is gradually coming down. I’m sorry you have to go through this! I wish you the best for the future![/QUOTE]

Congrats on the BFP :slight_smile: Amazing news

[QUOTE=JnJ’sJourney]I had horrible pain from the shot as well. I had the shot on a Tuesday and actually ended up in the ER by that Thursday. My beta wasn’t high by any means by that time (I believe it went from 51 the day of the shot to 21 on Thursday). The ER just felt it was normal and I was finally “passing” whatever was in me and the reason for all the pain. I was a little embarrassed to go to the ER though and kept telling my DH that the staff is going to make fun of me because I’m going to the ER because I got my period :slight_smile: In the end, after some medicine I was better within hours and didn’t feel any pain the next day.

I hope yours isn’t so severe… it sounds like you’re is gradually coming down. I’m sorry you have to go through this! I wish you the best for the future![/QUOTE]

Congrats on the BFP :slight_smile: Amazing news

So the Re from the hospital called, told me my hcg went down to 511 and that they are really happy with that. However she told me that the pain should slowly start getting less intense. If it doesnt I should go right away to the ER. After all of this, the last thing I feel like doing is going back to the ER. I guess I will see how I feel tonight and make a decision.I’m still having cramps right now.

I don’t want to scare anyone but I was outside playing competitive softball the day before my surgery for my ectopic. When they went in my tube was already rupturing and I had quite a bit of internal bleeding…that was about a week after I had the Metho shot. And my levels were never really high at all. The only symptoms I had were lower back pain like my spine was pressing together and the monday before my surgery (had surgery on thurs) I was propped on the couch took a deep breath and had a horrible pain in my heart/shoulder area then it went away…they dragged my situation on for at least a month before the surgery so if you feel like something is off you need to call the dr., I never understood how they said you will have all this pain with an ectopic…the only time I had pain was a couple days after I found out, which at first they said it was a miscarriage so my body responded like that, sever cramps and bleeding, then it stopped and it may be TMI but I bled for a month straight before they finally figured out what was going on…

I know the last thing you wanna do is go back to the ER, I understand I felt like the hospital was my second home and my arms look like a drug addict from all the bruises but YOU HAVE to listen to your body and your gut instinct!

Thats why this time around they are monitoring my hcg levels and progesterone levels super close, I have my first US next monday but I guess by my levels of progesterone (because that can be a sign or indicator of an ectopic) the dr said she is pretty certain it’s not an ectopic this time. At first I was super scared of having another ectopic, but the dr seems to think everythign is ok, and this time I am with an RE and not a reg OB :slight_smile:

CD24,

Thank you for sharing your story. I m sorry you had to go through that. And it’s not the first time I read about someone with ectopic that didnt have that much pain before being diagnosed with internal bleeding. You are right, it is important to listen to what we feel and not ignore it.

I decided to go to the ER today since the pain was not going away.They examined me and did some blood tests. They told me they highly doubt I have any internal bleeding, and it seems like what I have right now is my period with menstrual cramps . However they said if the pain doesn’t go away or gets worse to go back to see them right away. My beta went from 511 yesterday morning to 300 tonight. I’m really praying it goes down quickly to 0.

[quote=Frederica]CD24,

Thank you for sharing your story. I m sorry you had to go through that. And it’s not the first time I read about someone with ectopic that didnt have that much pain before being diagnosed with internal bleeding. You are right, it is important to listen to what we feel and not ignore it.

I decided to go to the ER today since the pain was not going away.They examined me and did some blood tests. They told me they highly doubt I have any internal bleeding, and it seems like what I have right now is my period with menstrual cramps . However they said if the pain doesn’t go away or gets worse to go back to see them right away. My beta went from 511 yesterday morning to 300 tonight. I’m really praying it goes down quickly to 0.[/quote]

I am glad you went to the ER, and they said things were going down!! I am also glad you have gotten to save your tube :slight_smile: I wasn’t that lucky but after everything happened and they did the HSG they said my left tube was fine and with about 5 months at the RE and medicine and 2 IUI’s I was able to concieve again :slight_smile: so keep your head up :slight_smile: (It took us about 7 months the first time with the ectopic, and about 5 months this time with med’s and monitoring :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=CD24]I am glad you went to the ER, and they said things were going down!! I am also glad you have gotten to save your tube :slight_smile: I wasn’t that lucky but after everything happened and they did the HSG they said my left tube was fine and with about 5 months at the RE and medicine and 2 IUI’s I was able to concieve again :slight_smile: so keep your head up :slight_smile: (It took us about 7 months the first time with the ectopic, and about 5 months this time with med’s and monitoring :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your advice, and congrats on the :bfp: !!!
I’m really hoping to be able to start trying again by next cycle, which should be in february.

[QUOTE=Frederica]Congrats on the BFP :slight_smile: Amazing news[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

I’m glad your levels are dropping like they should. Hopefully you’ll be down to 0 soon so you can start to move on.

Feel better!!!

[quote=Frederica]Thanks for your advice, and congrats on the :bfp: !!!
I’m really hoping to be able to start trying again by next cycle, which should be in february.[/quote]

no problem :slight_smile: and thank you!

I wish you the very best

Abdominal Ectopic

Hello :slight_smile:

I sadly experienced an abdominal ectopic on Friday 5th October at 6 weeks along. The doctors were unsure of the exact location, they believe somewhere between the left ovary and fallopian tube.

I presented no pain or any other symptoms but some light spotting - I just woke up one morning and didn’t feel pregnant any more, my doctor sent me for a scan and confirmed my fears.

I was admitted on friday 5th oct to the Oncology Ward, immediately prepped and administered Methorexate by intravenous drip for 12 hours. I was constantly monitored with immediate concerns of damage to kidneys - so took “a URAL supplement” every 4 hrs to keep oh levels down and constant blood pressure checks.

After 12 hours took a “stopper” pill to prevent MTX from working - I was under VERY strict instructions to take 1 pill every 4 fours for 16 hours. I was discharged on Sunday around 2pm.

I experienced some light to heavy bleeding - but no pain apart from a cramp that lasted all of 2 minutes while in hospital… UNTIL last night that is…11 days later… I was sitting a my desk working at my computer when I had the most severe stomach pains i have EVER had - the pain was lower in my abdomen - both sides and middle lower - I broke out into a sweat which immediately drenched my clothing - I was down on my side - knees up towards my chest doing my best not to 1. Move. 2. Scream 3. Vomit for approx an hour… Absolutely TERRIFYING… I took two panadol as soon as i could - propped some pillows on the floor for me to sit on, hubby got hot water bottle for my tummy and I sat very sit for 3-4 hours waiting for the pain to subside…

I am not bleeding, and seem ok now… any ideas ladies… do i need to be concerned? I know that in hindsight I should have gone to to ER but could move… I am also interested to know why Methotrexate was not administered in one or two shots as mentioned in earlier posts…

Sadly my only knowledge of Methotrexate is by way of “take home brochure”

Thanks,

Pixie :babydust: :babydust: :babydust:

Hi Pixie, I don’t want to scare you, but if you are still in pain you should really go to the ER. I had one shot of Methotrexate, but 13 days later I was in the ER because of severe abdominal pain and found out that my left tube had ruptured. This isn’t anything to mess around with because if your tube ruptures you bleed out on the inside. Please let us know how you are doing. Best wishes.