Acupuncture, anyone?

We’re getting ready to do our second IVF, and since we’re going to have to borrow $, want to up our chances. So, I’m looking into acupuncture for one, or both of us. I know there are people out here that have done it, but I didn’t see a thread for just acupuncture.

Anyone done it (male/female) and seen a difference? Considering it’s more money, how many treatments? Did you both go? Would it be more beneficial for him, since he has low motility? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

[quote=OnlyNeed1]We’re getting ready to do our second IVF, and since we’re going to have to borrow $, want to up our chances. So, I’m looking into acupuncture for one, or both of us. I know there are people out here that have done it, but I didn’t see a thread for just acupuncture.

Anyone done it (male/female) and seen a difference? Considering it’s more money, how many treatments? Did you both go? Would it be more beneficial for him, since he has low motility? Any info would be greatly appreciated!![/quote]

I had accupuntcure done before and after my IVF and during that subsequent pregnancy. I am also getting it done now with my FET cycle.

You should find a accupuncturist that speciallizes in fertillity issues and have a consultation.

I think anything is worth a shot, when you are investing so much time and energy. I was able to buy packages of appts. at a discounted rate, which helped me a lot, cause it adds up. I had never done accupuncture before my whole IVF experience. If anything, it trully helped to relax me, maybe not right away, but a couple hours after the appt. I would feel very sleepy. As I’m sure you know, dealing with IF is a very stressful time so any kind of added relaxation helps a lot. It also helped me a lot with nausea.

If I could only afford a few appts, I would do right before ER and transfer, as well as right after both procedures. My DH didn’t have any appts. since we knew were were going to do ICSI/TESE I didn’t see the point in adding more $.

I hope this helps you a bit.:slight_smile:

That does help. My biggest problem is that we live an hour from almost every acupuncturist in the area! Found one that does deal with infertility related treatments, with reasonable prices, Saturday appointments, and some early evening appointments, but have to decide if it will be worth an hour drive each way on my days off (to avoid the horrid rush hour traffic!). Thanks!

I too am trying to decide if I should do acupuncture again. I did it while I was ttc naturally in between treatments for 3 months. The first few times it made me feel relaxed after that it just got to be more stressful than anything it was too hard to get an appointment around my work schedule. And I did not feel comfortable with my acupuncturist but he is the only one in town. So I quit going it did make my periods more predictable and my pms was way better. Now I am preparing for my first and only ivf cycle and I want to go into it the best I can so I can’t decide if I should start again.

Any guys who have tried acupuncture for infertility?

I am pleased to hear about the positive experiences of some women regarding acupuncture for infertility. I wanted to know more about its effect on men. I did some research and came across this article, http://www.acupuncturetoday.com/archives2005/oct/10infertility.html where they say acupuncture was scientifically proven to be effective for male infertility. But I was wondering where the needles needed to be inserted. The article states:

“The following acupuncture points were used as main points: Guan yuan (Ren 4), shen shu (UB 23, bilateral), ci liao (UB 32, bilateral), tai cong (Liv 3, bilateral), and tai xi (KI 3, bilateral). Secondary points included zhu san li (ST 36, bilateral), xue hai (SP 10, bilateral), san yin jiao (SP 6, bilateral), gui lai (ST 29, bilateral), and bai hui (Du 20). Needles were inserted to a depth of between 15 and 25 millimeters, depending on the region of the body being treated. Needles were manipulated for 10 minutes to achieve de qi, then left in place for another 25 minutes before being removed.”

Does anyone know where these points are? Are there any men who have undergone acupuncture for male infertility on these boards? What was the actual procedure like?

I have never heard of the man going to acupuncture but maybe it would make sense if there was a male issue? A very interesting thought. If no male issue then I am not sure what the benefit would be…

It was my understanding that acupuncture for the woman was to help prepare the uterus for pregnancy. To help promote good flow and to prepare the lining. Plus, the bonus was that it was relaxing! My acupuncturist basically told me that blood flow to the uterus was very important. She said to avoid cold food/drink after the transfer. Only eat warm food and drink warm beverages so that the blood flow would go to the uterus instead of trying to warm up your body from the cold stuff. Wear socks to keep your feet warm also. Who knows - this could be a bunch of wacky stuff but it did work for me!

I only did acupuncture with one round of IVF. It was my successful round so I am not sure if that was the ticket or not. I might add that I did a very low carb diet the month prior to my ivf on top of the acupuncture. A friend of mine did both the low carb and acupuncture on one of her successful IVF’s as well. Couldn’t hurt!

In terms of number of appointments: I went 1 to 2 times a week for six weeks leading up to the IVF. Then did one session prior to the transfer. Almost all of the time they did one needle in the ear, one on top of the head, the rest on the calves and lower back.

Save your receipts for the sessions - according to our CPA they were “medical expenses”. You might want to talk to a tax professional. Not sure if your mileage would be deductible.

Best of Luck!
:flower:

I know I am a few months late on this posting but has anyone had any luck with Acupuncture, that would be interesting to know.