Advice regarding IVF/FET


#1

Hi Everyone, this is my first post although I read the forum often.

We just our first IVF in February. Transfered 2 day 3 embryos and it was negative. We have one frozen 5 day blast left. The choice now is to either have a FET and have that blast put back or go on a sort of diet for about 3-5 months (supplements, watch my eating more, no caffiene or alcohol at all etc) and then do a fresh IVF in October.

Our RE has said that if money was no issue she would go ahead and do a fresh cycle that way there would be more than one frozen blast to transfer if we were to do FET later. Her reasoning is that transfering 2 frozen blasts gives higher chances of success than doing just 1.

I’m torn, money is an issue obviously, but to take a chance on that one embryo and have it not work is also a waste of money. We just want to try again sooner but I don’t want that to cloud our judgement of what’s best to do in this situation.

All my tests are normal, my eggs just aren’t that great which is why I will be doing the diet next go around. Any advice?


#2

I am in a position where I was supposed to do IVF in February but I had to take time off so that I could get my health in order. Though i didn’t want to wait, especially at my age, I decided it was the best thing to do in order to increase my chances for success. I have one frozen embie left but I had the same thoughts as you. Ultimately, I decided to get myself together, do a fresh cycle and try to have more frozen in case the fresh cycle does not work. This stuff is too costly not to give yourself the best chance. Did your RE suggest the diet or is that something you are considering on your own?


#3

The RE suggested supplements (gave me a huge list) and told me to find a way to reduce my stress. I personally don’t think I’m stressed, but she said do yoga or accupuncture or something anyway. The diet I read about online - especially caffiene and alcohol. I don’t drink when we have been TTC, but we like to go out and I haven’t limited myself. I figure it’s time to stop drinking completely - the RE and what I’ve read online all say that it will take about 90-150 days to improve egg quality if I make all these changes.

The thing is is that the blast we have frozen is from the set of eggs that they retrieved back in February, so it is what it is. I’m making all the changes now if we decide to go ahead with the FET in June but there is nothing I can do about the egg at this point. I’ve read that since our blast made it to day 5 and if it survives the thaw then it’s as good as any…

We have the financial resources to do the FET now but will have to wait until October/November or possibly early 2014 to do another IVF so basically the question is do we take the chance now?


#4

It is a hard decision to make. How does your RE feel about the quality of your one embryo??? If it is a great quality embryo I would probably give it a shot first. FET’s are so much cheapier and easier on your body. I am biased though since both my sons are from FET’s :). If they do not feel the embryo is of great quality it would probably be best to go ahead with the fresh cycle and you could always choose to use the embryo with the new embryos or save it for later. Good luck to you!! Just keep in mind that it only takes one!!!


#5

As far as I understand it’s a good quality rated BBB. I looked that up online and it seems that the best is ABB the next best is BBB or am wrong? She says our chance is about 40% if it thaws. I want to do the FET because I’ve been reading that FET’s have good success rates these days and our embryo did make it to 5 days!


#6

As for the rating…every clinic is different. If she says it is good, then I am sure she is right. I would go for the FET to save the cost and the physical strain that a fresh cycle puts on your body. They are just as successful when used with quality embryos. Some clinics recommend only transferring one, the only problem is you are back to square one if it does not work. Good luck to you!


#7

Thanks! I think the RE’s point is that she’s seen more success if 2 are transfered and we only have 1. I feel like we’ll be back to square 1 no matter what anyway.


#8

I totally understand what she is saying, odds are better with two, but you could use the one and end up with a baby :). Then you would only have to go back to square one for a sibling, and that would by you some time for saving the money. There really is no right or wrong, really depends on your situation and what you are willing to try :).


#9

I was in your boat not too long ago - our first cycle failed and we were at the roads of Fresh Cycle Street or FET Circle…after going back and forth we choose to go down the Fresh Cycle Street! Our thoughts in the end were if the FET failed (we only have 1 frostie) then we would be back at square one. I was also hoping to be able to get a few more to freeze but as you can see from my sig, only one tested normal. So when everyone says it just takes one…it JUST takes one :wink:
Wishing you the best for whichever road you and yours choose to travel down! :grouphug:


#10

How old are you? At my age, I would do the fresh asap and save the frozen for later so that I could have embryos from the youngest eggs possible in case you wanted to try for a sibling down the road - but I’m creaky old. We were lucky enough to get pregnant from our first IVF, but didn’t have any embryos to freeze and the difference in egg quality in the over 2 years since then is dramatic.


#11

[quote=kbdiadora]I was in your boat not too long ago - our first cycle failed and we were at the roads of Fresh Cycle Street or FET Circle…after going back and forth we choose to go down the Fresh Cycle Street! Our thoughts in the end were if the FET failed (we only have 1 frostie) then we would be back at square one. I was also hoping to be able to get a few more to freeze but as you can see from my sig, only one tested normal. So when everyone says it just takes one…it JUST takes one :wink:
Wishing you the best for whichever road you and yours choose to travel down! :grouphug:[/quote]

Wow, yes it does only take one, which is why I’m on the fence about doing this FET. My thinking is if the FET fails, we forget it and move on doing whatever we can to increase our chances next go around. Either way we’ll end up at IVF again. Aren’t you starting at square one with IVF anyway? Or do you mean that you would still have one frozen so it’s not technically square one.

I’m 31. I don’t know why my eggs are bad. We are a same sex couple so I never tried to get pregnant naturally. When the results of the IVF became evident, I went online and researched all day for like a week. We went back to the RE for a post-IVF consult and she said everything was fine except the egg quality could be better. So my conclusion is that I need to change my diet, stick to my supplements and cut out what they say to cut out mainly caffeine, smoking (I don’t smoke) and alcohol.

I just have this feeling that this could be our little one. Our little embryo was 12 cells on day 3 and they weren’t sure it would be viable. Well it compacted (if that’s the right word) on day 4 and made it to blast by day 5 where they assisted hatched it and froze it. What if it is our one? My GF thinks I’ve completely lost my mind.