Age of frozen embryos

Hi. I haven’t posted here since my successful transfer almost 2 years ago (yay!!). Now I’m considering doing a frozen embryo transfer. The problem is we have exactly 1 embryo frozen from a donor (plus my husband’s sperm) from 2011, and one from me retrieved in 2007.

My questions are - are embryos from 2007 and 2011 too old to be successfully implanted? Has anyone tried doing a transfer with only 2 embryos, or is that too few to be worth the effort? And will a doctor implant if they are from two different mothers? Thanks for any info!

No, they’re not too old at all.
My first three FETs were all single-embryo transfers, by choice. We didn’t take the plunge to try two embryos until we’d already had two failed SETs. My first single-embryo FET was successful and resulted in my daughter.
I don’t see how it would make any difference that one embryo was from your eggs and the other was from a donor. If your doc thinks it’s advisable to transfer two embryos, then you’d transfer both. If your doctor thinks you’re better off transferring one at a time, you’ll just have to pick which one to try first.

Thanks Brigala. Did all your embryos make it through the thawing process? I’ve heard that is difficult, so that’s why I planned on doing both at once.

All of my embryos are from 2011, and so far all have them have survived the thawing process beautifully. My first FET didn’t work, and there was no explanation as it was a picture perfect cycle on both my end and the embryo end (it was a SET). I’m currently in the 2WW for my second FET. This time we transferred 2. Again, both looked wonderful and both the RE and the embryologist said they shouldn’t have a problem implanting. I’m not very hopeful because my cycle was a bit off, but it had nothing to do with the embryos.

Good luck!

[quote=SSE1014]All of my embryos are from 2011, and so far all have them have survived the thawing process beautifully. My first FET didn’t work, and there was no explanation as it was a picture perfect cycle on both my end and the embryo end (it was a SET). I’m currently in the 2WW for my second FET. This time we transferred 2. Again, both looked wonderful and both the RE and the embryologist said they shouldn’t have a problem implanting. I’m not very hopeful because my cycle was a bit off, but it had nothing to do with the embryos.

Good luck![/quote]

I did a transfer in September with embryos from Feb 2010. We had four frozen, 2 survived the thaw, transferred those two and one took. Two is plenty!

They’re not too old! Some people freeze embryos for a decade and they’re still fine. The only question would be if they freezing process was the same— were they both vitrified? Older embryos were not always frozen with that method and had a lower survival rate on thaw for that reason.

[QUOTE=theburmese]Thanks Brigala. Did all your embryos make it through the thawing process? I’ve heard that is difficult, so that’s why I planned on doing both at once.[/QUOTE]

It just depends, and you probably need to talk to your clinic about it.

We were donated a batch of six embryos at one clinic. Out of those, they had to thaw three to get one survivor for our first transfer (my daughter) and the other three were thawed for the second transfer and only one survived (but didn’t make a pregnancy). BUT - when we had our first transfer, the embryologist commented to us that they had a “poor thaw rate” for embryos created in the lab that batch had come from. That was why she thawed three to begin with; she didn’t expect them all to survive thaw. Since it was an anonymous donation I have no idea where they came from. They said their thaw rate for embryos [I]they[/I] created was about 90%-95%.

I’ve had very different results with our second batch of donated embryos. This time our donor had 9 embryos and divided them up between two couples. I got five and the other couple got four. I’ve had two transfers at the clinic where they were created, and the other half of the embryos were shipped to the other recipient couple in a different state. So far, all those embryos have had a 100% thaw rate as far as I know; I’ve had three embryos transferred and last I checked the other recipient had transferred two - and ALL of them have survived thaw (but haven’t created a pregnancy).

So that’s my experience and all it really shows is that there’s no hard and fast rules. Check with the clinic where your embryos are stored and talk to your RE and find out what their thaw rate is.

Thanks everyone for the info! I’m just starting to look into this. The other catch is our frozen embryos are in two different locations. I’m not sure I want to risk just thawing one and having it not work. Do you have to wait another cycle before trying again if the thaw doesn’t work?

[quote=SSE1014]All of my embryos are from 2011, and so far all have them have survived the thawing process beautifully. My first FET didn’t work, and there was no explanation as it was a picture perfect cycle on both my end and the embryo end (it was a SET). I’m currently in the 2WW for my second FET. This time we transferred 2. Again, both looked wonderful and both the RE and the embryologist said they shouldn’t have a problem implanting. I’m not very hopeful because my cycle was a bit off, but it had nothing to do with the embryos.

Good luck![/quote]

Thanks, and good luck to you! I’m sending lots of positive thoughts.