Air Travel with injectables...

Hi Ladies,

I am starting my second IVF next week and will be flying during the stim time period for a weekend wedding the 12th - 15th. Anyone have any experiences carrying on needles and meds? I won’t be checking anything since it’s just for the weekend. I am assuming a prescription (which is on the follistim and menopur boxes already) and was going to get a note from the Dr. as well. I am just hearing about how they have just recently stepped up security again and worried about running into issues.

Thanks for any input!! :o

I have flown twice with injectables and they have never asked anything or looked twice at it. I haven’t ever had a note from my doctor, just the prescription label on the box. I put them all in a gallon size plastic bag and took them out of my carry on bag (like you would with your bag of liquids) but no one ever asked. I was nervous but it turned out to be no big deal at all.

Hi!
I had to fly for my IVF cycle (which involved tons of flights and three injections in-flight). I carried my meds in a small lunch sized cooler. It had separate compartments for meds and syringes and a pocket up front for me letter of medical necessity, which I did have to show one time. I also had a gel ice pack to keep meds cool and I never had any problems.
Good luck!

I flew last week and it was no problem. I didnt have a note, but I did take my injection schedule which was printed on the clinic’s stationary. I just had the needles and medicine in a clear plastic bag and sent it through the scanner. No one even asked me about it. Good luck!

Hi,
I recommend you go to the TSA | Transportation Security Administration | U.S. Department of Homeland Security website for detailed information on traveling with liquids and medications. There’s a couple of links under 3-1-1 that you’ll find helpful.

[QUOTE=libralinds]Hi Ladies,

I am starting my second IVF next week and will be flying during the stim time period for a weekend wedding the 12th - 15th. Anyone have any experiences carrying on needles and meds? I won’t be checking anything since it’s just for the weekend. I am assuming a prescription (which is on the follistim and menopur boxes already) and was going to get a note from the Dr. as well. I am just hearing about how they have just recently stepped up security again and worried about running into issues.

Thanks for any input!! :o[/QUOTE]

I flew with injectibles during our IVF in 2008 and had absolutely no problems. I packed it all (meds, needles and ice packs) in a insulated lunch bag and carried it on. No one asked any questions. I would maybe bring your protocol or something from you RE’s office if it concerns you, but I’m sure they see it alot. I wasn’t asked for a letter from my doctor.

Thanks for asking about this. I start Lupron on Sunday, and on Monday am on a flight. Luckily I come back the day before I start Gonal-F and Menopur, so I only have to take Lupron with me. I am flying solo with my 2 1/2 year old, so we should be a delight at security: getting shoes off both of us, laptop out, toddler milk/liquid snacks out, toiletries, and medications. All while keeping my son from running off. I was planning to take the prescription with me, but I’ll ask for a letter as well. I will say that in my experience they rarely, if ever, ask for that type of documentation, especially if you stand there saying, “here’s my medication, and here’s my documentation.” I’ve taken liquid meds with me before and never had an issue, but not syringes.

Wow, thank you everyone!! I had completely spaced on keeping them cool during the trip, so that was a good reminder. It’s so nice having a resource like this board when you are going through all this craziness!! :nerd: