Am I stupid?

I feel very stupid when it comes to this website and the entire infertility subject. Our IVF journey is switching to high gear on Friday when my DH is going for an extraction. My meds (Lupron) will begin on Monday. I feel so confused and I don’t know what I should or shouldn’t be worried about. I could use some insight into this process. I really feel like an idiot! Any good recourses? I am :pray: that all goes well despite my ignorance. My doctor’s office says that I shouldn’t worry but I just feel like I am missing some information. Any insights? I am especially worried about work during this process. How much time is needed or recommended? Also worried about foods, caffeine, alcohol and more…

Help!

Ugh, I have been second guessing everything I put in my mouth since my IUI. I know that seafood can be bad b/c of the mercury. I had 2 crab rangoon, do you think that is bad?

[quote=essemkay]Not at all! Crab rangoons are cooked, totally okay in moderation! – just stay away from raw seafood and high mercury fish and limit the lower mercury stuff.

Mercury Levels in Fish : American Pregnancy Association[/quote]

Thanks so much essemkay!!!

I just want to say thank you…this really helps me take a deep breath! Thanks again! :grouphug: [quote=essemkay]I know it’s overwhelming, but it will really help you to just take each step as it comes. I’m a control freak, so I insisted on always know the sizes and numbers of my follicles and my E2 levels and such. But this probably added to my stress. :slight_smile:

As far as how much work you’ll miss, it depends on a few things – how many monitoring appoints you’ll have (I had 7) and if you can do them before work or at lunch. For retrieval, I’d probably budget two days off (mine fell on a weekend, so that was nice). And for transfer, my RE had me do 48 hours of bedrest, so another two days or so for that.

Don’t worry about foods – although I would stay away from caffeine and alcohol (especially after transfer). I personally decided to eat as if I was pregnant when I started stims (no deli meat, no soft cheeses, no raw meats or seafood, no bag salads without washing them) because I read somewhere that listeria – although very rare – can hang out in your body for 2 weeks.

So exciting!! Good luck and :babydust::babydust:![/quote]

Cycle Buddy?

Okay, again I am new to this process and to this site so please forgive the ignorance. What is a Cycle Buddy? My preliminary retrieval is January 12th. What should I know? What kind of support is available? What are the experiences with husbands/partners?

Christine

Hi,
Don’t worry about feeling like there is so much to learn - because there is! Just take it one step at a time. There is so much information out there that your head can start swimming if you try to take it in all at once.

One thing that I did before I started the stim part of the cycle was quit all forms of caffeine. I know there is a lot of debate out there - some doctors say it’s fine. Plenty of women say they drank a cup of coffee or black tea all throughout their pregnancy. But I have read that it can have a major impact on women who already have fertility issues - up to 50%. So I decided to play it safe. If I was going through all the trouble of IVF, I wanted to do everything I could to maximize my chances. I quit a couple weeks before the stim’s medication so the caffeine withdrawal symptoms wouldn’t be compounded by the rest of the hormones. It took about 6 days to get over the caffeine headache though - which was probably the hardest part of the whole IVF for me!

For me the stim part wasn’t hard at all. I thought the hormones would make me nuts but they didn’t. I had a mild headache for a few days and towards the end, my ovaries felt really heavy and a little tender. But other than that it really wasn’t bad at all.

The egg retrieval wasn’t too hard for me either, except that the anesthesia made me sick to my stomach and I threw up about a half hour after coming too. I quick drank some gatoraide and I was fine. I had to fast for 12 hours before the retrieval which happened in the morning so it was basically just like skipping breakfast.

Good luck! Keep asking questions as it goes. I found everyone here to be so helpful!

[quote=dharmadog]Hi,
Don’t worry about feeling like there is so much to learn - because there is! Just take it one step at a time. There is so much information out there that your head can start swimming if you try to take it in all at once.

One thing that I did before I started the stim part of the cycle was quit all forms of caffeine. I know there is a lot of debate out there - some doctors say it’s fine. Plenty of women say they drank a cup of coffee or black tea all throughout their pregnancy. But I have read that it can have a major impact on women who already have fertility issues - up to 50%. So I decided to play it safe. If I was going through all the trouble of IVF, I wanted to do everything I could to maximize my chances. I quit a couple weeks before the stim’s medication so the caffeine withdrawal symptoms wouldn’t be compounded by the rest of the hormones. It took about 6 days to get over the caffeine headache though - which was probably the hardest part of the whole IVF for me!

For me the stim part wasn’t hard at all. I thought the hormones would make me nuts but they didn’t. I had a mild headache for a few days and towards the end, my ovaries felt really heavy and a little tender. But other than that it really wasn’t bad at all.

The egg retrieval wasn’t too hard for me either, except that the anesthesia made me sick to my stomach and I threw up about a half hour after coming too. I quick drank some gatoraide and I was fine. I had to fast for 12 hours before the retrieval which happened in the morning so it was basically just like skipping breakfast.

Good luck! Keep asking questions as it goes. I found everyone here to be so helpful![/quote]

I was just wondering if all forms of caffeine included chocolate? I have given up regular coffee and other caffeinated beverages, but was just wondering if chocolate had a significant effect?

I gave up super dark chocolate (the 70%+) and pure cacao. Mostly because I’m an addict! (I spent last winter totally addicted to making my own hot chocolates out of pure cacao). But I’m really sensitive to caffeine. I go through withdrawl again if I even have a little bit, so I cut out dark chocolate to be safe. But I’m sure milk chocolate is fine - it has really negligible amounts.

I started making grain coffees like teechino and cafix. They saved me!

Very Informative

Thank you dharmadog! I am already feeling much better!

[quote=dharmadog]Hi,

Good luck! Keep asking questions as it goes. I found everyone here to be so helpful![/quote]

[quote=essemkay]A cycle buddy is somebody that’s going through the same thing you’re going through at about the same time. There are threads started by other people doing IVF in December (http://forums.fertilitycommunity.com/vitro-fertilization-ivf/2020193782-december-2010-ivf-anyone.html[/URL]) and January ([URL=“http://forums.fertilitycommunity.com/vitro-fertilization-ivf/2020194704-january-2011-ivf.html”]http://forums.fertilitycommunity.com/vitro-fertilization-ivf/2020194704-january-2011-ivf.html ). You might want to jump into one of those – you’ll find TONS of support. :slight_smile:

ER (retrieval) is pretty easy. They take you back, hook you up to an IV, wait until you really really have to pee, then let you pee (yay!), walk you into the operating room, add the magic juice to the IV and then you’re back in your cubicle ready to go home. I’ve heard that some people were asked to do an enema beforehand (I wasn’t). I was told to take antibiotics the night before. They gave me a prescription for vicodin for afterwards, but I didn’t need it. Of course, I only had 8 mature follicles. I also felt great for a few hours after retrieval, but then the bloating and ovarian pain and tenderness came back – took about 5 days to go away.

They had my husband go do his duty after they had me on the IV, but before I went into the OR. He said the room was pretty much designed for just one thing – there was a big leather arm chair draped with paper, and a plastic mat on the floor and lots of magazines and DVDs.[/quote]

As always, essemkay, you have been a great sourse of info and I have taken your advice for more resources and have found a lot of information. Thank you!

Looks like you got a lot of good info for your ivf! I just wanted to throw in that if you respond real well to the stims you will be going in for a lot more blood work ultrasounds than seven. This was the case for me, but I had a whopping 38 eggs at retrieval.

I basically went in for blood work or ultrasound (or both) every single day. They wanted to monitor me super closely because I had so many follies growing, to the point my ovaries expanded and overlapped one another. This caused me to look about 5 months pregnant, and be quite tender all the time. In fact I was more uncomfortable before the transfer rather than after the procedure itself!

Regardless, just take each step as it comes and before you know it will you will at the transfer stage! Best of luck to you :babydust: