Another failure!

BFN after 2nd IVF!
My doctor suggested we do PGD with embryo banking since I am a poor responder. My signature tells my story. I am doing out of pocket IVFs and have already spent close to $35K on Infertility treatments. Embryo banking may require a few more cycles. Even if I do all that, what are the advantages of PGD other than they can select good embryos for transfer? What if ALL embryos have genetic disorder and what choice do I have if that happens? Apparently, genetic disorders cannot be treated either!!
Another option for me is to do a few cycles of natural cycle IVF since I am anyway a poor responder. Can you ladies suggest what I should do based on your experiences? I know every body and every woman is different but I still need some opinions. This situation is so confusing and difficult!!

Someone mentioned there is a thread for PGD topic but I was not able to find it. That’s why posting this here.

Thanks in advance!!!

I don’t know if a BFN is better then what I just went thru. 6weeks 6days see my little bean and then no heartbeat and now waiting out this M/C on its on to happen or taking drugs or a DnC … So hard and some folks just don’t understand. My 3rd M/C I’m starting to think my eggs are of poor quality. On top of it all Hives from allergic reaction to progesterone killing me … I hope we both can find success somewhere out of all of this time emotions and money spent.

Hi all! I am fairly new to IVF, but I wanted to tell you to keep hoping and praying!

MicFree, I’m so sorry to hear about your loss. Just keep trying. If these forums have taught me anything, it’s to keep hope alive. So many women have one failed IVF cycle after another but in the end many have a precious miracle baby.

DaisyDuck- I understand where you’re coming from… It’s possible to do a round of IVF and hold out until day 5/6 for blastocysts for PGD, but the problem is you may not have any embryos by then. Just look at my cycle: 20 eggs retrieved, only 8 mature, 8 fertilized with ICSI, at day 5/6 ONLY 2 normal embryos.
Since you are a poor responder, I would continue to do IVF with 3 day transfer and freeze any remaining embryos. If I didn’t have such high risk of OHSS, I would do a 3-day transfer like you. You never know how you’ll respond each cycle-- you may end up with embryos for 3 day transfer AND day5/6 blastocysts.

Good luck!!!

I do PGD to prevent a genetic disorder but screen all chromosomes as well. It worked on the 3rd try! I did biopsies on day 3 with fresh transfer on day 5 my first two cycles and a 5 day biopsy with FET for my most recent transfer which resulted in a BFP! Unfortunately, there is no treatment for the embryos if they are abnormal, but it is peace of mind putting back normal ones! :slight_smile: Good luck with what you decide!

I’m so sorry!

[QUOTE=daisyduck;n2609402]BFN after 2nd IVF!
My doctor suggested we do PGD with embryo banking since I am a poor responder. My signature tells my story. I am doing out of pocket IVFs and have already spent close to $35K on Infertility treatments. Embryo banking may require a few more cycles. Even if I do all that, what are the advantages of PGD other than they can select good embryos for transfer? What if ALL embryos have genetic disorder and what choice do I have if that happens? Apparently, genetic disorders cannot be treated either!!
Another option for me is to do a few cycles of natural cycle IVF since I am anyway a poor responder. Can you ladies suggest what I should do based on your experiences? I know every body and every woman is different but I still need some opinions. This situation is so confusing and difficult!!
[/QUOTE]

Natural IVF is cheaper, and depending on your age and if you already ovulate a lot, is a viable alternative. However, if you’re a “poor responder” (so am I!) your doctor should tell you that your best option is still regular IVF because you won’t respond as well to lower stims. I’m doing this out-of-pocket, too, so I know the pain. Luckily we saved quite a bit for a few tries and my mom even donated to the fund (she wants that grandchild!)

I don’t think there are that many advantages to PGD if you don’t pop out a lot of eggs and embryos. There’s a chance the biopsy can damage the embryo, and thus hurt an already healthy embryo. In my opinion, if something isn’t working in the embryo it’s likely not to even implant, so your body is kind of doing PGD already. If you had like 16 embryos, I’d say do PGD because you have plenty of chances. There’s also some opinion that PGD at five days may be too early, so I really think the reasoning is 50/50. If you want to save money, I’d save money by not doing PGD. I’m not – but I’m quite a bit older than you. (I also read an account of Trisomy 16, where several babies were diagnosed with that but essentially had no symptoms, but that the Trisomy 16 anomaly can be carried in the placenta and the baby is healthy – so it shows up on tests as positive.) If you read any of this stuff, it’s hard to believe that anyone gets pregnant!

What are your clinics success rates? I would make sure to go to a clinic with a lot of experience treating poor responders that also has high success rates and a great lab. The idea of banking is a good one if you want more than 1 child (not that you would have to do this). However, you have to have a ton of funds to do this if you are a poor responder. It will just take so long to get the number of embryos you will need, you will probably need to do several cycles. My fear with banking is that poor responders often have trouble getting to day 5. Thus, you are running a risk that you will end up with nothing. My guess is that it is just a matter of you finding that lucky egg. I think you may just need another try and another day 3 transfer.

My11:11wish, there are also other factors. If the clinic doesn’t have the latest tech, it can’t do 5-day. Most have 3-day tech and it also depends on how highly their lab is rated – check them out online and with the CDC for success rates.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Thank you all. I have almost made up my mind against PGD. Poor responder plus out of pocket makes it hard. I have to talk to my doctor again to see what he thinks about my decision. The clinic I go to is neither bad nor good. They don’t have the best success rates I would say but I like it for various other reasons - convenience of appointments, good staff and well-organized process. The doctor I consult is knowledgeable and has a pretty good reputation from the expertise point of view.

I’ll give this some more thought and decide if I want to immediately do another cycle or take a break. But I am almost decided now to do a regular IVF cycle with a changed protocol instead of NCIVF and PGD. Let’s see!!!

It sounds like you like your clinic, but you can end up saving a lot of money, time, and frustration in the end by going to a clinic with good success rates. I know success rates aren’t everything (b/c some clinics cherry pick their patients), but you have to find a clinic that treats the hard cases and also has good success rates. I think choosing a clinic with a great lab could make a world of difference.

Which clinics do you recommend in washington dc area? I do not qualify for shady grove’s shared risk program which is one of the well known programs in this area. GWU probably has a good lab but there are a lot of complaints about that too.

Ty guys it’s finally happend naturally so I can start healing.