Anovulatory cycles

Hi everyone,

New to the forum here! I have never had regular menses, and went on OCPs very young for acne and regulating my cycle. I went off for 3 months and, even though my cycles were very irregular I was able to get pregnant with my first child. Now I’ve been trying for almost 7 months off OCPs. Until this month I’ve had 14 day cycles with only one spike in BBT that only lasted 8 days before another period. Had all of my blood work checked which is completely normal. Only thought is that it’s stress related. Took a progesterone challenge a few months ago, and the following cycle was 21 days. Now I’m on a 27 day cycle but still no spike in BBT and a serum hcg was negative. Has anyone had a similar experience? If so can you comment on what worked for you? My next step is likely clomid but the thought of multiples is a bit terrifying!

Thank you in advance!

Common, easily regulated causes for anovulatory cycles are stress, overexertion, and eating habits. When women are over or underweight, their bodies will react differently to hormonal changes as they occur. A vigorous exercise program or extremely active lifestyle can affect hormones and thus ovulation and fertility. For example, a lot of gymnasts and ballerinas will experience anovulatory cycles quite often. When women use “The Pill” or “The Shot”, they are chemically imitating anovulation. Over an extended period of time, the use of these drugs can negatively affect the function of your reproductive system.Testing progesterone levels, the endometrial lining, and testing for the presence of specific antibodies, will help a physician to diagnose anovulation.
Treatment of anovulatory cycles will depend greatly on the findings of the administered tests. If it is decided that the causes are natural or stemming from outside influence, natural remedies will be prescribed. These include regulating eating habits and other methods that we have already discussed. If the cause of anovulation is decided to stem from internal imbalances, there is no need to worry. There are several fertility boosters that can combat a varied set of factors. These may include drugs designed to increase estrogen, ripen the follicles, or to help a woman release her egg when she is supposed to ovulate. The most drastic and last scenario a woman may encounter would be surgery. Normally this will only take place if she is found to have tumors.
If you or someone you know is experiencing regular bouts of anovulation, heed the advice above. Wishing you the best!

The medications that help stimulate the ovary to develop mature eggs for ovulation come in two forms: pills taken by mouth and injections. The most commonly prescribed pill to stimulate ovulation (generally of one mature egg) is clomiphene citrate. This pill generally is taken from menstrual cycle days 3 – 7. It works in the following way: Clomiphene is an anti-estrogen. It binds in a part of the brain called the hypothalamus, which is essential in stimulating the ovary to grow and release an egg. When clomiphene binds to estrogen receptors in the hypothalamus, it leads to an increase release of an important signaling hormone called GnRH (gonadotropin releasing hormone). This hormone then binds to another area of the brain called the pituitary gland and leads to the release of FSH (follicle stimulating hormone), a hormone that directly binds to cells in the ovary, leading to egg growth and maturation. If things still do to work. You should ask your doctor for the appropriate means for your medication. I was just trying to help. Since I have also been through infertility like you.

Hormone levels must rise and fall at certain times to achieve ovulation. Sometimes, a woman may have one anovulatory cycle and then go back to a regular cycle. Other times, it is a chronic problem. Women of childbearing age do not usually experience anovulation unless something has disrupted the body’s hormone levels. Or damaged the ovaries. Women who ovulate regularly often see signs that occur during each cycle. They may experience the following:
Increased amounts of cervical mucus.
A drop and rise in resting body temperature in the middle of the menstrual cycle (around day 10-16).
Periods that occur regularly.
Women with very irregular periods, or who do not see signs of ovulation, may wish to try an ovulation predictor kit. These kits measure levels of hormones in a woman’s urine to determine when she is ovulating.
A doctor may also be able to test a woman’s hormone levels or carry out an ultrasound scan to view the ovaries.
We aren’t the experts here but anovulatory cycles is definitely the issue.