Anterior Placenta ?? when did u feel movement?

I was told I have an anterior placenta and that it would make it much later that I felt any movement, and that DH won’t feel anything until closer to 26-28 weeks. Does any one else w/ an aterior placenta have any experiences to share? I am just getting a little worried…some days I think I feel something, sort of like a rubber band snapping on me from the inside, but more gentle. I’ll feel it tons some days then not for days at a time. It is hard not to worry.

I started to feel a slight movement at about 18-20 weeks. DH felt her somewhere around 24 or 25 weeks, but he only could feel her when she rolled over. I rarely felt large kicks only little flutters at specific places (lower left side) and rolls. I would say that she was very gentle, and she continues to be gentile toddler at 14 months. So I’m not sure whether this was due to anterior placenta or my daughter’s disposition.

I would feel twinges as early as 14 weeks, but these were random and could’ve been gas, looking back on it. Seems like I didn’t reliably start feeling movement until around 20 weeks or so, and even then I would doubt what I was feeling because they were still pretty small. By the time I hit week 24, it was a lot more obvious.

I think 24 weeks was around the same time my husband could feel movement, too. It was so weird sitting on the couch and watching my stomach roll all over the place. I was worried that I would miss the chance to truly see and feel the baby with an anterior placenta, but that wasn’t the case. It just took a little longer to get there!

I had an anterior placenta with both pregnancies. I felt flutters around 17-18 weeks but real kicks were not until around 20 weeks.
Please try not to wory about not feeling your baby yet. Right now, at 35 weeks, I’m begging her to stop kicking sometimes :slight_smile: I know it’s hard to wait but soon enough you will be feeling your baby and your husband will experience the joy of feeeling and seeing the baby move. Anterior placenta will not stop you to experience any of it. It will just be a few weeks later.

Good luck and enjoy every minute of it!

Thanks ladies for the responses. I am at 22 weeks, and barely feel anything most days(except heartburn! :wink:

I guess I just being a worry-wart…what else is new?

I had an anterior placenta with DD (don’t know about this one) and started feeling the first “popcorn” movements around 16-17 weeks. DH first felt the baby at 23 weeks but it wasn’t consistent til 25ish. It is a little frustrating to not be able to feel the baby like everyone else, but it does come :slight_smile:

I have an anterior placenta and first felt her move at 17 weeks, 3 days. Since then she hasn’t stopped!

I had an anterior placenta with DD and I started feeling movement at 21 weeks…it was pretty much overnight, didn’t feel a thing until then. DH was able to feel movement around 24-25ish weeks I think.

This info is so helpful! I have an anterior placenta and was wondering this as well. I only feel slight movements when I’m very still, usually in bed and they are typically on left or right (I guess when she’s not directly behind the placenta.) I was wondering when I’d feel the actual kicks, etc! I’m glad to know that I will feel them eventually and great to hear everyone’s experiences and time frames.

Danser- I am at 23 weeks and still rarely feel that much movement. Talk about paranoia setting in. I have another u/s scheduled for this friday to check growth, which is reassuring. I have no reason to think anything is wrong, but see my history & you’ll understand.

Everyone tells me I will be thankful for the anterior placenta when the little bambino starts kicking my ribs…

casak, even though I dont have an anterior placenta, I just wanted to say that not all babies (like mine) are as active as some.

My baby’s movements have been pretty gentle and I’ve never had a kick that hurt. She does hiccup a lot though!

I first felt movement at 18 weeks but I could go days without feeling anything. The movements became more regular between 24 to 34 weeks but just last week I noticed a steep drop in movements for about a week.

I’ve been having twice weekly NSTs because of my gd and she has consistently given the techs a hard time with demonstrating the required movements. Even the buzzer doesnt faze her. Well on Friday my OB was not happy with the NST and sent me to the hospital, well at the hospital she suddenly decided to cooperate and was moving up a storm on the ultrasound. It was the most movement I had felt all week! So I was worrying over nothing. I think she might have just been in a different position (facing back) or something where I couldnt feel her movements.

Here are some things that sometimes get the baby moving for me: drinking ice water/chewing on ice chips, juice or soda. I also find if I lay flat on my back I would feel more movements than if I was on my sides.

Hi Joanna,

Nice bumping into you over here. Thanks so much for your response. I am trying my best to keep my fears under control. There is no rational reason for me to worry, but some days I can’t help it. It’s hard to so desperately want something to work out, but to be unsure. I need to have more faith!
On a more positive note- WOW you are so close! 8 days and counting, you must be so thrilled and excited to meet your little girl. I hope you have an easy labor, and can’t wait to see a pic.

[quote=casak]Hi Joanna,

Nice bumping into you over here. Thanks so much for your response. I am trying my best to keep my fears under control. There is no rational reason for me to worry, but some days I can’t help it. It’s hard to so desperately want something to work out, but to be unsure. I need to have more faith!
On a more positive note- WOW you are so close! 8 days and counting, you must be so thrilled and excited to meet your little girl. I hope you have an easy labor, and can’t wait to see a pic.[/quote]

Your’re welcome casak! When you have been through a miscarriage it is hard not to worry but as long your baby is moving well at the ultrasounds and hitting all the other milestones he should be fine.

You know maybe we’re lucky and will have quiet mellow babies :slight_smile:

btw do you have a hand held doppler? I know that mine really helped me get thru the times when I couldnt feel anything or I was worried. I bought mine for a good deal on craigslist.

And thanks so much for your wishes. I do hope I catch a break and have a short labor/delivery. I cant believe that we are so close to meeting our baby. I will def keep you guys posted.

Take care!

Casak - Good luck at your ultrasound today! Let me know how it goes! I finally started feeling small kicks about three days ago, but they are infrequent. My mom said that I never kicked at all, while my brother kicked a ton, so I think a lot of it does have to do with the baby too! So maybe calm baby combined with anterior placenta is what you are dealing with!

Joanna, i don’t have a doppler, that sounds like a good idea.

Thanks ladies for the reassurance! The ultrasound went great. The tech showed us how the baby had changed positions since my last one, he was literally hiding behind the placenta, with his behind on the left and his head on the right instead of vertically. So she said everthing was smushed up against the placenta, which is why i haven’t been feeling any movement.

She said with her 2nd, she had an anterior placenta and felt nothing until 26 weeks.

Well, the little guy must have moved with all the attention, b/c last night he was going bonkers in there!

And I was nervous about stopping the lovenox, but i guess there was no reason to be b/c he is measuring 5 days ahead at 1lb 8oz! And it was great b/c my mom was able to come with us!

yay…thats great news! Glad to hear your boy is doing well.

:clap: