Antral Follicle Count

Hello,

I’m trying to understand the various stages in my 1st IVF treatment. One of the things I would like to get a better grip on is antral follicle count.
When exactly is the count done? Before stims or after? Does the BCP, lupron protocol suppress it?
What’s a good count, etc…

[quote=Cozi]Hello,

I’m trying to understand the various stages in my 1st IVF treatment. One of the things I would like to get a better grip on is antral follicle count.
When exactly is the count done? Before stims or after? Does the BCP, lupron protocol suppress it?
What’s a good count, etc…[/quote]

Antral follicles are typically counted at baseline (cycle start, before stim).

I’m not sure if BCP or Lupron have any relationship to AFC. If so, it’s not much.

Antral Follicle Counts, Testing Ovarian Reserve Predicts IVF Response
more about antaral follicle count

[FONT=&quot]Me-Vesna(32)-no problem[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dh-Toni (32)-low sperm count[/FONT]
[B][FONT=&quot]IVF#1[/FONT][/B]
[U][FONT=&quot]Jun,2[/FONT][/U][FONT=&quot] - blood testB,[/B][/FONT]
[B][FONT=&quot] -[/FONT][/B][FONT=&quot]ultrasound[B](10 antral follicules count)[/B][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] -Start with BCP[/FONT]
[U][FONT=&quot]Jun,11[/FONT][/U][FONT=&quot] – [B]HSN[/B](everything is perfect)[/FONT]
[U][FONT=&quot]June,22[/FONT][/U][FONT=&quot]- start lupron 10 unit[/FONT]
[U][FONT=&quot]Jul,07[/FONT][/U][FONT=&quot] -blood testB;[/B]lupron 20 units [/FONT]
[U][FONT=&quot]Jul,09[/FONT][/U][FONT=&quot] -blood test B[/B][/FONT]
[U][FONT=&quot]Jul,10[/FONT][/U][FONT=&quot] -start stimulation: [B][U]Lupron(5unit), Menopur(75), GonalF(150)[/U][/B][/FONT]
[U][FONT=&quot]Jul,14[/FONT][/U][FONT=&quot] -blood testB,[/B][/FONT]
[B][FONT=&quot] -[/FONT][/B][FONT=&quot]ultrasound [B][U]day 5[/U][/B] [B](total 10 follies R=2-14; 13; 2-11; 9 L= 2-9; 7; 5)[/B][/FONT]
[U][FONT=&quot]Jul,16[/FONT][/U][FONT=&quot] -blood testB,[/B][/FONT]
[B][FONT=&quot] -[/FONT][/B][FONT=&quot]ultrasound [B][U]day7[/U][/B] [B](total 10 follies R=2-17; 15; 13; 2-11 L=2-11;2-9)[/B][/FONT]
[U][FONT=&quot]Jul,18[/FONT][/U][FONT=&quot] -blood testB,[/B][/FONT]
[B][FONT=&quot] -[/FONT][/B][FONT=&quot]ultrasound [B][U]day 9[/U][/B] [B](total 13 follies R=22; 2-19;18; 16; 15; 14;2-12; 10; 8 ;2-7) [/B] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] - [B][U]9:00 p.m TRIGGER [/U][/B][/FONT]
[U][FONT=&quot]Jul,20[/FONT][/U][FONT=&quot]-[B] ER[/B] ,4 EGGS=3(mature),3 ICSI=3 FERTILIZED (100%fertilized)[/FONT]
[U][FONT=&quot]Jul,23[/FONT][/U][FONT=&quot]- [B]ET[/B](transferred 2 eggs ,1 made to blast,but quality is not good enough for freezing),[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Quality before transfer [B][U]ALL 3 EGGS=4 GRADE ,8 CELL[/U][/B][/FONT]
[B][U][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/U][/B]
[B][U]Second ivf[/U][/B] :pray::bfp:

10 antral follicle count
diluted lupron 20 units twice daily from 11-19-2010
ovarian stimulation Gonal f 450,low dose of hcg 6 unit and baby aspirin
11-24 ultrasound 10 follicle e2=200
11-27 ultrasound 10 follicle e2=1061

Hi, I believe the antral count is what they scan for before they start stim medication, and after you’ve begun whatever suppression protocol they’re using (lupron, etc.). I had a scan the same day as my first estradiol blood test, (this was a 15 days after I used a micro dose of Lourelin Depot - which is essentially the same as Lupron Depot) and they looked for whatever potential follicles were on the surface of the ovaries as a sort of predictor as to how many follicles I might produce. My scan showed about 9 on each ovary, which I think is a normal/average count. Women with PCOS will usually show more, women with low reserve will show less.

Hope that helps! Good luck! :babydust:

I’m starting to get worried. On CD3 (before I started BCP or Lupron) I had 4 antral follicles and 1 cyst on my right ovary. CD 26 (just before I start stims and reduce lupron) I think the nurse pointed out 2 follicles. This came up since I was concerned the cyst was still there but it wasn’t. I’m not sure if I only had a total of 2, but after reading up on antral follicles and what you guys have said I’m worried.
My FSH has always been normal, I average 5-6. I did well on the clomid challenge test. My last IUI I had 6 follicles prior IUI. I have another ultrasound Monday to see how the stims are going. I hope there’s more than 2 follicles, there’s no way I can go thru IVF starting with just a few.
I also need to bring up that my period flow has been significantly less lately.

[quote=Cozi]I’m starting to get worried. On CD3 (before I started BCP or Lupron) I had 4 antral follicles and 1 cyst on my right ovary. CD 26 (just before I start stims and reduce lupron) I think the nurse pointed out 2 follicles. This came up since I was concerned the cyst was still there but it wasn’t. I’m not sure if I only had a total of 2, but after reading up on antral follicles and what you guys have said I’m worried.
My FSH has always been normal, I average 5-6. I did well on the clomid challenge test. My last IUI I had 6 follicles prior IUI. I have another ultrasound Monday to see how the stims are going. I hope there’s more than 2 follicles, there’s no way I can go thru IVF starting with just a few.
I also need to bring up that my period flow has been significantly less lately.[/quote]
If you had 6 follicles from a cycle stimulated with clomid just this last September, you shouldn’t worry. That’s a pretty good response and your reserve wouldn’t drop suddenly. What your nurse pointed out might not have been an antral count, but what is getting started for this cycle. And more will certainly come. I know this whole process feels like a scary crap shoot, but even if you don’t produce a large number, quality is more important than quantity. There are plenty of women who’ve had only 2 or 3 eggs retrieved and gotten a BFP. It only takes one! And conversely there are women who’ve had a large number retrieved and only ended up with 1 or 2 fertilized because of low quality. Good luck!