Any multiple IVFers out there?

I am getting ready to begin my next protocol for my FOURTH IVF. Yes unfortunately but praise God I have the means to get this far again. As you can see from my signature I have had three miscarriages of varying length. The last one was determined genetically to be my fault, old egg, trisomy 16 always fatal. So here I am again, wondering what I can do different. Please share any success stories with multiple IVFs or what you did differently. I have always been on long antagonist protocol with the highest dosage as I am a poor responder with DOR. This time I think they are doing the lupron flare. I was 36 when I started this journey and I will be 39 this year. I would love to hear anything. I have done the DHEA, Omnitrope, massage, pineapple, high protein, the only thing I havent tried is acupuncture and I read somewhere a woman crawled on the floor ten minutes each day after her transfer to increase blood flow. LOL! Share a tip, story or just some laughter. Thanks!

Are you going to try CCS this time? I probably would if I were you.

First I’m so sorry for what you’ve gone through. I’ve had a chemical and a 6ww miscarriage from my 1st IVF cycle, and I can totally relate to the pain and despair that come after a false hope.

Where did you do those previous 3 cycles? With the same clinic? Have you done a miscarriage panel and Karyotype tests on both you and hubby? My suggestion would be either to go to a nationally renowned clinic like ORM, SIRM or CCRM for a 4th try, but definitely use CCS this time,

Or, have you considered mini IVF? It’s proven to be better for poor responders and DOR patients. A lot of mini IVF protocols do not put you on suppression, and you might get just as many eggs as you would on an antagonist protocol with a lot less dosage on stim drugs. So each cycle is a lot cheaper. There are also studies that suspect high dosage of stim drugs hurt the egg quality and increase the risk of chromosome abnormality. But as far as I know the result is inconclusive. You can look into New Hope or LIFE for natural or mini cycles.

Hang in there! The miracle will come sooner or later, and by then, all that we’ve gone through will be sooo worth it. :grouphug:

Sorry for all you have gone through!! I read your post earlier and did not have time to reply, but I knew I wanted to come back and respond. Hope my story can be somewhat encouraging to you :).

We went through 6 cycles before having our first little miracle guy…on our 7th we had our second! (Went through 3 early miscarriages, one with a heartbeat seen, and 2 negative cycles) We know we are soooo blessed and could have easily given up before we had either of our little guys.

As for what made the difference, there are two big factors. It is kind of up for debate if one or the other or both made the difference for us.

1.) [B]Donor embryos [/B]I am tempted to say this is the one factor that made the difference for us. The only catch is that with our first donor embryo transfer (same batch of embryos) we had another miscarriage. RE was convinced it was a fluke and not related to the two other miscarriages which were believed to be an embryo quality issue. But the miscarriage did seem different…really high initial beta levels, where with our own embryos the betas were always pretty low from the get go.

2.) [B]Lovenox [/B]( I was [U]not[/U] tested to find out if I had a clotting factor because the RE said he was going to put me on lovenox either way) This was added to my FET protocol after the third miscarriage (the one with the donor embryos)

Next cycle we used the same batch of donor embryos with the lovenox, and had a successful pregnancy. It may sound like the lovenox was the real difference maker, but I was taking off of it at 13 weeks becasue of a LARGE subchorionic hemhorrage. If I had real clotting issues I would have likely miscarried at that point. But we had to take the chance because I was likely going to miscarry becasue of the hemhorrage.

Sorry if this is too detailed, but I know we are desperate for stories when you have gone through sooo much!

Good luck to you, don’t give up. If you would like to read more about our story, you can visit my blog. (link is in signature)

I am a multiple IVF’er, too. Unfortunately I don’t have any advice to offer because, as you can see from my sig, we haven’t had success yet either. For our next attempt (probably our last) we will be going back to antagonist protocol (highest dose) and my doctor (2nd RE) is recommending an endometrial scratch/biopsy, intralipid IV’s and Omnitrope (Human Growth Horomone). We are basically trying the “kitchen sink” approach because there is no obvious reason for why we have had our failed cycles and early losses. I guess we just have crappy eggs and sperm. My RE did also suggest DHEA, but I tried it with one of my cycles and wasn’t impressed with the side effects. I’m also not convinced that it makes a difference and I am not going to have regrets about not doing it if this doesn’t work again. I wish you the very best. I know the pain that goes along with this process and having the joy of a pregnancy taken away.

When are you cycling? I will be rooting for you. Our next attempt is planned for summer, probably July.

[QUOTE=hopingagainsthope]I am getting ready to begin my next protocol for my FOURTH IVF. Yes unfortunately but praise God I have the means to get this far again. As you can see from my signature I have had three miscarriages of varying length. The last one was determined genetically to be my fault, old egg, trisomy 16 always fatal. So here I am again, wondering what I can do different. Please share any success stories with multiple IVFs or what you did differently. I have always been on long antagonist protocol with the highest dosage as I am a poor responder with DOR. This time I think they are doing the lupron flare. I was 36 when I started this journey and I will be 39 this year. I would love to hear anything. I have done the DHEA, Omnitrope, massage, pineapple, high protein, the only thing I havent tried is acupuncture and I read somewhere a woman crawled on the floor ten minutes each day after her transfer to increase blood flow. LOL! Share a tip, story or just some laughter. Thanks![/QUOTE]

I think Pookie had some especially good advice about genetic testing. I think it would be a good idea to do some of the more aggressive genetic testing on your husband (a full male reproductive panel). A lot of people just think that a semen analysis is good enough, but there is more testing that you can do that is more informative than just a semen analysis, which doesn’t actually analyze genetics.

As far as other tips, there’s a lot of voodoo out there and, excuse the expression, “old wives’ tales” as far as things you can do to increase your odds. Suffice to say, crawling around on the ground probably won’t do it for you :slight_smile: As for acupuncture, it’s very controversial in the medical community right now. The scientific literature on its in-vitro effects is mixed at best. A lot of RE’s recommend it based on one particular study that showed massive (and in my opinion, unbelievable) gains when it came to implantation. I looked at the methodology and their statistical methods about a year ago and I remember seeing a few problems with how they conducted their experiment. This study has been followed up by more contemporary studies that haven’t shown the same effects that were found in the first. However, even if there is, say, a 20 percent chance that the study was right, then acupuncture would improve your chances of success by around 5 percent. In other words, if it doesn’t cost you very much, you might as well try.

The funny thing about acupuncture is that it works better when you [I]believe [/I]that it works. Regardless of whether little needles are redirecting your chi or not, the act of relaxing on a bed and being cared for reduces stress and calms the nerves and, of course, reducing stress helps with implantation.

Have you done full RPL and immune testing?

If you have, you and your DH should seriously consider CGH testing of your embryos. It tests all 24 chromosomes for aneuploidy and if possible, let all your embryos grow to blasts before doing the biopsy.

Hi ladies, thanks for stopping by to leave me some helpful hints and tips. The clinic I go to, HFI (Houston Fertility Institute) uses PGD. My doctor and I discussed it, and we came to the conclusion that biopsy on the embryos was much more risky. I have also asked them for a full panel on my husband but they say that it doesnt make a difference because we are using ICSI. If he has DNA damage, there is no way to tell before insemination, only testing the embies. We have both had karyotypes done and I have had a RPL panel. I was on blood thinners the last time because there was a small discrepancy in the clotting factor tests they did three times. I too had the kitchen sink approach with the omnitrope and since the last pregnancy was far along enough to do a testing on the material - it was found that it was a maternal genetic flaw. I think I am reading that you all didnt think DHEA was a good deal? I am not using the same RE but I am using the same clinic at a different location. This RE got my friend over 40 pregnant and to term with two tries. This protocol should be different but they all insist on using BCPs. I also forgot to mention in addition to having low reserve, I have a Nemo ovary. My right side is gimpy, always hiding and overly quiet. Like I need anything else LOL!!

[quote=zazu13]I am a multiple IVF’er, too. Unfortunately I don’t have any advice to offer because, as you can see from my sig, we haven’t had success yet either. For our next attempt (probably our last) we will be going back to antagonist protocol (highest dose) and my doctor (2nd RE) is recommending an endometrial scratch/biopsy, intralipid IV’s and Omnitrope (Human Growth Horomone). We are basically trying the “kitchen sink” approach because there is no obvious reason for why we have had our failed cycles and early losses. I guess we just have crappy eggs and sperm. My RE did also suggest DHEA, but I tried it with one of my cycles and wasn’t impressed with the side effects. I’m also not convinced that it makes a difference and I am not going to have regrets about not doing it if this doesn’t work again. I wish you the very best. I know the pain that goes along with this process and having the joy of a pregnancy taken away.

When are you cycling? I will be rooting for you. Our next attempt is planned for summer, probably July.[/quote]

I am on my BCPs now, it all depends on the Dr, I may be on BCPs 2 weeks or 6 weeks. So I could start lupron in 2 weeks and then stims after that or it might be in Mid May before I get started. I should know more next week. You’re starting in the summer?

Noticed that you are a HFI patient, which location are you going to now, better yet, who is your doc going to be? We went through them for all our treatment :slight_smile:

As for the bcp, they didn’t require me to use them on two of my fresh cycles, but I know every patient is different.

[quote=brit1612]Noticed that you are a HFI patient, which location are you going to now, better yet, who is your doc going to be? We went through them for all our treatment :slight_smile:

As for the bcp, they didn’t require me to use them on two of my fresh cycles, but I know every patient is different.[/quote]

I am going to the Med Center. My first three cycles were at Clear Lake with Dr. Witz. I transferred to Dr. Haddad. I love the staff at Clear Lake and since I live in Pearland it worked really well for me but I also work downtown and found its easier to do my testing every two days at the med center. Who did you use? Congratulations! I see you worked. I think because I have low reserve they put me on BCPs so that I dont have one follicle growing faster than the other when I have very little follicles to begin with.

I’d also suggest an RPL panel to look for clotting disorders. I just had my DH and I karyotyped to look for translocations that might be causing chromosomal problems with embryos.

I am going to try the antihistamine protocol with my next transfer which is 10mg of prednisone twice daily + 10mg of pepcid + 10mg of claritin starting at transfer. You might also consider intralipids if your doctor supports their use (mine doesn’t).

Although, I did have success with my first IVF, I have since had 4 chemical pregnancies/failed cycles with 11 good/decent looking embryos.

[quote=maryevelyn]I’d also suggest an RPL panel to look for clotting disorders. I just had my DH and I karyotyped to look for translocations that might be causing chromosomal problems with embryos.

I am going to try the antihistamine protocol with my next transfer which is 10mg of prednisone twice daily + 10mg of pepcid + 10mg of claritin starting at transfer. You might also consider intralipids if your doctor supports their use (mine doesn’t).

Although, I did have success with my first IVF, I have since had 4 chemical pregnancies/failed cycles with 11 good/decent looking embryos.[/quote]

I did have an RPL panel, nothing stuck out at them, but the clotting tests did come back a little high so they put me on lovenox the last time. I had heard about using prednisone during, and asked the Dr about it, he said that he didnt recommend it but now for the life of me I cant remember why. Why are you on prednisone? Out of safety/precaution or was there a test that came back positive?

i am going to do it because my re won’t support intralipids, and the steroids are supposed to do the same thing (suppress the immune system). It’s just a last ditch effort since everything else seems to be ‘fine’ and/or ‘normal’. There is some evidence that steroid use in pregnancy can cause birth defects, but I think the risk is pretty minimal.

Hi there…just failed my second cycle so I guess I could be a multiple IVFer. Anyways, DH and I are going to try (possibly) one last time this summer and then hang up the hat and say we gave it our best shot. I’m not in the same spot looking at anything and everything that we can do… I’ll be going in to speak with my RE about what went wrong this cycle. But wondering if anyone has any conclusive research about additional things we can be doing. Optimal weight, fitness, eating habits, ect. Supplements. I appreciated the post about acupuncture.

Just out of curiosity, how old are you, if you dont mind me asking? Do you have a low AMH? I see that you dont have many follicles, kind of like me but you’ve done the lupron. Which I am thinking they may try on me this time.

Don’t mind at all… I’m 29 and my AMH is 0.18. They have no idea why I am so low or respond like I do at my age but last time I saw my RE she said they we might as well treat my fertility treatments as if I was in my late 30’s/early 40’s. I have used the microdose Lupron flare dose for the past 2 cycles. I know that all the REs were pleasantly surprised with how I responded given my AMH and my FSH is 15 (I think). I will be meeting with my RE in 2 weeks to see what we can do differently and I’m not sure if I should ask about trying a different protocol. I think I may research on the mini protocols…I’ve been hearing a lot more about those lately.

[quote=AnastasiaC]Don’t mind at all… I’m 29 and my AMH is 0.18. They have no idea why I am so low or respond like I do at my age but last time I saw my RE she said they we might as well treat my fertility treatments as if I was in my late 30’s/early 40’s. I have used the microdose Lupron flare dose for the past 2 cycles. I know that all the REs were pleasantly surprised with how I responded given my AMH and my FSH is 15 (I think). I will be meeting with my RE in 2 weeks to see what we can do differently and I’m not sure if I should ask about trying a different protocol. I think I may research on the mini protocols…I’ve been hearing a lot more about those lately.[/quote

I will have to look into that, I dont know much about minis. Thanks for mentioning. Anyone else on here know anything about that?

Ok, never mind on the mini IVF because it is not indicated for poor responders. Looks like the micro-dose flare and antagonist protocols are best for us.

hello all, am sure no one hoped to be a part of this thread, but i am unfortunately, cant believe i will be planning a 4th treatment soon given my age and all d doctors blab about you are so young yet everyday older women get their babies with ivf more easily.after 3 ivf’s with nothing to show am depressed to say d least and becoming desperate-y its not working out.sorry for the rant ladies- goodluck to us all.