Anyone can share their journey from IUI to IVF?

Hi, ladies,

I am in the 2ww of my 2nd IUI. I am considering what to do if this round is another BFN.

I am thinking if it makes sense to just move on to IVF instead of wasting time for another IUI. RE recommends to do 3 IUIs before going to IVF.

I would like to ask if you can share your experience with me. If you did IUI before you transfer to IVF, can you please kindly answer a few questions for me?

[LIST=1]
[]How many IUIs before moving to IVF?
[
]Successful BFP on which IVF?
[*]How bad is the medication in compare to IUI?[/LIST]Thanks, Have a great weekend. :flower:

:welcome: Kobemama!

Nice to see a familiar name around here. :clap:

I don’t have answers to your question, just wanted to say hi. I’m sure you’ll get plenty of responses though, folks here are great as well.

I am hanging out here as well, while I am on the 2ww of my IUI #3… Since we want to proceed with IVF in Jan, guess it’s going to be the last one as my RE wants me to get on BCPs if this fails. I was hoping to squeeze in one more this year, but no choice there!

:pray: we both get our :bfp:s this cycle and don’t need another IUI or IVF!

[quote=Kobemama]Hi, ladies,

I am in the 2ww of my 2nd IUI. I am considering what to do if this round is another BFN.

I am thinking if it makes sense to just move on to IVF instead of wasting time for another IUI. RE recommends to do 3 IUIs before going to IVF.

I would like to ask if you can share your experience with me. If you did IUI before you transfer to IVF, can you please kindly answer a few questions for me?

[LIST=1]
[]How many IUIs before moving to IVF?
[
]Successful BFP on which IVF?
[*]How bad is the medication in compare to IUI?[/LIST]Thanks, Have a great weekend. :flower:[/quote]

Wishing you a very positive outcome in your 2WW. Our RE recommended we try 3 IUI’s before moving onto IVF as well, but in the end it was our decision. If you have good insurance benifits that cover fertility then I would do another IUI if this doesn’t work out but hopefully you’ll not have to worry about that. In our case we were 100% cash paying and felt we were not getting anywhere. We knew what we had left from our savings and wanted to give it a serious shot.

[LIST]
[]We did 2 IUI’s which were back to back months and 2 days during ovulation time.
[
]I had BFP’s on both IVF cycles. The fresh IVF resulted in a chemical pregnancy. Our frozen cycle gave us our twins.
[*]Medication for IVF was different for me. I only did clomid and ovidrel w/ IUI’s. My protocol for fresh IVF was Bravelle, Menapur and Ganerelix. Frozen cycle was much, much easier. Just progesterone-in-oil and Delestrogen injections. Medication costs were $4,500 for fresh and shy of $500 for frozen cycle like I mentioned, we were cash paying.[/LIST]I handled the injections quite well. I just put myself in a mind set and knew that I had to go thru the process in order to give us a chance of a family.

:bsv: to you! Keep us posted. :grouphug:

My story doesn’t have a happy ending, yet, but I figured I would share it.
[LIST=1]
[]How many IUIs before moving to IVF?- 10!
[
]Successful BFP on which IVF? I have not yet had a successful BFP on IVF. 2 BFP on IUI and one on IVF which led to ectopic.
[*]How bad is the medication in compare to IUI?- If you can handle the injectibles for IUI, you can handle it for IVF. You may have 2 shots or maybe even 3 (depending on your protocol) and sometimes a little longer than IUI, but it’s totally do-able. There is a lot more monitoring appointments however.[/LIST]I would have to say it’s one of my biggest regrets that I kept doing IUI’s, I should have converted to IUI sooner. It was only by doing so that we figured out what was wrong with me. I wish I had moved over to it sooner, I Was intimidated by it needlessly.

Also, I think reason for pursuing treatment has a lot to do with this. Some diagnoses will just have such a better success rate with IVF.

Good luck!

Hi there! My RE also said that if IUI will work for you, they should work within 3 tries. I got BFN on the first try and gave up on IUI. My reasons for giving up is success rate for IUI for my age group was 12% and IVF at my clinic was 55%. I had 10K lifetime maximum infertility coverage. And I was turning 35 and didn’t want to waste any time on something with semi-low chances. So, we went to IVF and I am 26 weeks pregnant with twins from first IVF. I didn’t do any injectibles for IUI except for trigger shot. I used to be terrified of needles and was going to have my partner do all the shots but then I learned that he will be gone for 3 days while I was stimming. I had one shot in the morning and two shots at night and it just wasn’t feasible for me to go to my friends’ to have them give me a shot so with shaking hands, breathing heavily I did my first shot and then I did all of them because I was practicing for when he will be gone. After ET, he did PIO shots for me because they were in my butt.

Not that it happens too often but IVF also explained my unexplained infertility. All my hormone levels were normal, no signs of DOR, but upon egg retreival, 9 out of 13 eggs were abnormal. You will hear it thousand times over that it is quality over quantity and it is very true because 4 good ones made 4 good embryos, 2 were transferred and 2 were frozen on day 6.

I hope all this is going to be just FYI because your IUI worked and you don’t need to go IVF route. But seriously, I think it was more difficult to admit that this is what our path is if I want to see results sooner than later, than any shots, etc. Best of luck.