Anyone do a single embryo transfer?

Did anyone do a single embryo transfer either by choice or because there was only one good embryo?

It seems like 2 embryos is the average transfer for women under 35. So than I can figure the statistics that show chance of pregnancy/live birth per cycle are usually based off of a 2 embryo transfer. Does anyone know how much lower the chances of a pregnancy/live birth per cycle will be when only transferring one embryo? Does that cut the chance of pregnancy in half than? Like if a clinic says 50% chance of pregnancy/live birth with a 2 embryo transfer and I only transfer 1 than I only have a 25% chance :frowning:

I feel upset because my husband is absolutely dead set against any chance of getting twins. He agrees to have one more child and no more. But we can only afford 3 IVF cycles either fresh or frozen. I would rather get twins than no baby at all and I feel like we should transfer 2 to maximize our chances before funds run out. I don’t know how to get him to agree to a 2 embryo transfer when he says no way to twins. Transferring only one embryo makes me feel less hopeful that the IVF will work :frowning:

I have only done single embryo transfers and they have all failed as you can see from my sig. I have one try left and we are going to transfer two. Depending on your beliefs, you can look into selective reduction.

We only want one baby too so I know it is a hard choice to put back two. They told us " is it worse to have no pregnancy or twins?"

Good luck with your decision.

I had 3 ivf attempts in total first one I was 35 and only transferred one I now have a perfect little daughter that is sleep,talking in the next room as I am posting this. I had another fresh cycle done in feb this year and because I am 38 I transferred 2 I had a misc and ? Chemical pregnancy at 5 weeks. I am now pregnant after fet cycle and only put back one all is well so far and god willing this baby we get to meet!!! So it does happen depends on the clinic and the country you live in. I live in the uk and for under 35 they are really strict and if you have blastocyst embryos they mainly transfer 1 embryo rarely 2 never 3!!
Hope it helps
Good luck

I have only done single embryo transfers. My first, an IVF fresh cycle, ended in mild OHSS that was resolved enough for us to safely put in one embryo but my doctor didn’t want to risk two. That one became identical twins.

My second FET was a single embryo transfer that took, but at my ultrasound, we discovered no baby grew in the sac. It ended in a D&C.

My third just ended with a BFN.

My emotions are similar to yours: We have three embryos left and thus probably only one try, as I’ve had trouble getting them to thaw well. We live in Los Angeles. We’re not rich. We already have twins, and a bigger house for even ONE baby is sort of a scary proposition. So we’ve been nervous enough that putting in ONE would result in twins. :slight_smile: But if we try one more time, I’m so tempted to go all in. Terrified, though. And I know my husband has serious reservations. In truth, so do I, but after the last two heartbreaks I don’t know if I want to have any What Ifs if our final FET doesn’t take.

However, I will say this about having twins: It is AMAZING. Those little boys are the most fun we have ever had. It’s hard, but we didn’t know any different – one baby, two, it was all the same to us as first-time parents. And yeah, you need a little support from friends and/or family in those first couple months, but watching them grow up together and learn to talk to each other, and play with each other, and imagine together… they are best friends in the most special way, so even if it seems like it would be daunting, I promise you can do it if it happens and you will NOT regret it.

In fact, I would be WAY less wary of risking more twins if we lived in a city that were remotely affordable. Obviously I am not trying to tell you to go for more than one embryo; just trying to be reassuring from someone who’s been there that twins are really, really a wonderful experience.

I transfered only one embryo back in April, and I am 34. My clinic only transfers ONE at a 5-day (they do two at a 3-day) unless there is good reason to do otherwise, and says that their goal is for everyone to have a healthy, singleton pregnancy. They gave me all sorts of scary statistics on multiples, and really made us feel confident in our decision to put one back in.

They also told me that my chances with a good quality embryo at my age on day 5 were 50-60%. According to my clinic, those odds only go up 5% if you transfer two. However, your odds of multiples go up 50%. In their research, whatever prevents implantation is likely to effect BOTH embryos. But, if all goes well, there’s an excellent chance both would take.

That research was evidence enough for us to only do 1. The extra 5% didn’t seem worth the scare. I know many, many women on here are hoping for twins, but I really think clinics undereducate women as to the stress, complications, and difficulty that having multiples can cause. We ended up getting a BFP with our one embie, and are 14 weeks along with a healthy singleton.

I’m sure if we had a BFN, I would’ve second guessed our decision, especially since the other embies we had didn’t make the freezing criteria. But, you have to trust that your clinic is doing what is in your best interest. Best wishes for your little peanut!

My RE is insistent on only transferring one at my age. He says unless the quality is poor then he would think about 2. I am so nervous about multiples. Even with twins the possibilities of complications goes up a lot and most twins are born premature leaving them at risk for all sorts of physical and learning issues. I want one healthy baby and I am content tranfering one. You can still get identicals from one. Imagine if they put in 2 and one split. Then you have triplets. If both split you get quads!!! Too much of a risk for me. We do not believe in selective reduction. Good luck with your decision.

The truth is putting back 2 only increases ur success a few points but doubles your chance of multiples. I have always done 2 at transfer with the understanding I have a 50% chance of twins if I got pregnant. I had 4 transfers one singleton 2 bfns and a twin pregnancy with a very early loss of one twin

[QUOTE=Francesca13]
They also told me that my chances with a good quality embryo at my age on day 5 were 50-60%. According to my clinic, those odds only go up 5% if you transfer two. However, your odds of multiples go up 50%. In their research, whatever prevents implantation is likely to effect BOTH embryos. But, if all goes well, there’s an excellent chance both would take![/QUOTE]

My office said the exact same thing. I am going to be doing my transfer within 7 days and I am still unsure about transferring 1 or 2 embryos (if we have them of course!!)

My RE told me that transferring 2 does not really increase your chance of pregnancy. That being said we had a long, long discussion about transferring 2 embryo’s. (I had to perfect ones) and I told him that from the beginning of this process I had said we were transferring two, so we were doing two. My reasoning was this…we could only afford this ONE time. Even if we froze one we would more than likely never be able to use it. If we had got bfn I would have forever wondered “What if?”

I told my husband that whatever God gave us I would accept as long as we transferred two. If he gave us one, I could live with that. If he gave us two, I could live with that. Three was a very scary thought, but I could live with that too. I made sure I educated myself on the risks of twins and triplets just in case.

My husband is still scared, but the thought of having two little ones is starting to grow on him. He was always happy but at first I could tell how scared he was.

I guess after all that rambling what I want to say is this: Do what you can live with. If you truly only want one baby at a time only just transfer one. Maybe transfer one the first time and see what happens. Like I said the reason we chose two is because we knew we could never afford this again.

[QUOTE=Francesca13]I transfered only one embryo back in April, and I am 34. My clinic only transfers ONE at a 5-day (they do two at a 3-day) unless there is good reason to do otherwise, and says that their goal is for everyone to have a healthy, singleton pregnancy. They gave me all sorts of scary statistics on multiples, and really made us feel confident in our decision to put one back in.

They also told me that my chances with a good quality embryo at my age on day 5 were 50-60%. According to my clinic, those odds only go up 5% if you transfer two. However, your odds of multiples go up 50%. In their research, whatever prevents implantation is likely to effect BOTH embryos. But, if all goes well, there’s an excellent chance both would take.

That research was evidence enough for us to only do 1. The extra 5% didn’t seem worth the scare. I know many, many women on here are hoping for twins, but I really think clinics undereducate women as to the stress, complications, and difficulty that having multiples can cause. We ended up getting a BFP with our one embie, and are 14 weeks along with a healthy singleton.

I’m sure if we had a BFN, I would’ve second guessed our decision, especially since the other embies we had didn’t make the freezing criteria. But, you have to trust that your clinic is doing what is in your best interest. Best wishes for your little peanut![/QUOTE]

I would agree that factors that affect one embryo will affect another as well. However, not all the embryos are equally strong yo implant and survive. A woman might have 2, one healthy and another one unhealthy (unless she had them tested, she would not know)
If she transferred both, abnormal one will not produce a baby or perhaps she will get a child with certain conditions . basically, it all goes back to the strength and health of the embryos. If both embryos are fine and uterine conditions with the overall mother’s health is good, tjen I would say both would implant.
Personally, esp after 3.5 yrs of ttc, I would love to have healthy twins.

I had just one transferred and I am now just over 6 weeks pregnant. I was in a clinical trial and it was part of the study group that I am in to just transfer one. Also, I lost my last son at 22 weeks due to an incompetent cervix so I was happy to just transfer one (even though I have a cerclage now). I would just add that some of the other ladies in the trial that transferred one still ended up with 2, sometimes embryos split, so transferring one is not a guarantee. My DH is the same though, totally against twins. I would be happy with anything.

I transferred 2 perfect embryos and only 1 took. 35 Weeks now. No idea why only made it, but I’m glad I transferred 2. The only thought that crosses my head now is how in the world can 2 babies fit in this belly? I’m huge with 1, imagine with 2…LOL
Good luck.

I’m 41 yrs (40 at ER) and I only transferred 1 and am 7 weeks pregnant. The one we transferred was a hatched blast. My RE gave me the option of putting another back w/ it, but my DH and I really don’t want twins since we already have a DS. Plus, I have seen some horrible complications w/ twins on the due date boards (which i know doesn’t happen to everyone) and I would like to avoid that if possible. My RE also said it only upped your chances of getting pregnant a few % but upped the odds of twins A LOT! If you have good quality day 5 blasts, I would say transfer 1 if you want to avoid twins.

Edited to add: I should also say one of my considerations is that I knew I could get pregnant since I had my DS last year. If I had several failed cycles or my embie had not looked so stellar, I definitely would have put more than one back, especially at my age, and risked the twins. If you want to see the risk of twins w/ transferring two, check out the donor egg boards. Lots of ladies transfer two (and these are from donors less than 30 yrs) and end up w/ twins.

[QUOTE=NicoleJean]Did anyone do a single embryo transfer either by choice or because there was only one good embryo?

It seems like 2 embryos is the average transfer for women under 35. So than I can figure the statistics that show chance of pregnancy/live birth per cycle are usually based off of a 2 embryo transfer. Does anyone know how much lower the chances of a pregnancy/live birth per cycle will be when only transferring one embryo? Does that cut the chance of pregnancy in half than? Like if a clinic says 50% chance of pregnancy/live birth with a 2 embryo transfer and I only transfer 1 than I only have a 25% chance :frowning:

I feel upset because my husband is absolutely dead set against any chance of getting twins. He agrees to have one more child and no more. But we can only afford 3 IVF cycles either fresh or frozen. I would rather get twins than no baby at all and I feel like we should transfer 2 to maximize our chances before funds run out. I don’t know how to get him to agree to a 2 embryo transfer when he says no way to twins. Transferring only one embryo makes me feel less hopeful that the IVF will work :([/QUOTE]
Hi! I know how hard of a decision it can be because my husband and I went through the same debate. In the end, I had one transferred, and froze the rest. We did it for two reasons: Not wanting to chance twins and because I also had slight OHSS, our egg quality was good.

The stats from my clinic reported that there was a 5%-8% less of a chance of it working with 1 v. 2. We decided to chance it because they reported a 26% twin rate. I am a little older, 36, so your stats may differ.

Your clinic should be able to provide you with the stats from SART.

Good luck!

[QUOTE=BabyMama01]Hi! I know how hard of a decision it can be because my husband and I went through the same debate. In the end, I had one transferred, and froze the rest. We did it for two reasons: Not wanting to chance twins and because I also had slight OHSS, our egg quality was good.

The stats from my clinic reported that there was a 5%-8% less of a chance of it working with 1 v. 2. We decided to chance it because they reported a 26% twin rate. I am a little older, 36, so your stats may differ.

Your clinic should be able to provide you with the stats from SART.

Good luck![/QUOTE]
I should also mention that I transferred 1 blast (5DT). Good luck!

Thank you so much for all of your storties and advice. It is nice to hear that a single embryo transfer can work. I think if the doctor transfers a blast and that blast is top quality I will agree to one. If a single transfer fails I am hoping my husband will agree to transfer two the next time. Maybe the doctor can convince him. On the final attempt I will tell him either two or cough up more cash for another IVF. But once our cash is gone and we have already done a loan than we are kind of out of luck at least until we could save enough cash again. I will pursue IVF until I either get a take home baby or I turn 40 or the doctor says something is wrong with me and I am wasting my time and money.

I would personally rather not get twins if I can pick but I would not be upset either if I did get twins. I would just be so thankful to have a child. I am able to be a stay at home mom so that would make having twins easier. But my DH just thinks about needing a bigger house, 6 seat car, double the expenses, double the crying, double the work. He just looks at all the negatives of having twins instead of the positives. Since my two kids are older now twins might not be bad because than they will have a close in age sibling and playmate. I was talking to the IVF doctor we are planning to use and he was telling me about the higher than normal chance of getting identical twins with IVF. Now that would be awsome! So even with one transfer we still might get twins.

Also I just hear back from my IVF doctor and he said if he does only a single transfer than I would have up to a 5-15% chance less of pregnancy/live birth than his statistics based off an average transfer of 2 embryos. I feel better knowing that the chance of pregnancy won’t go up much more by transfering two and it sounds like everyone else has been told simular statistics. My main concern is that what if the one they put back in has chromosone issues and therefor would not take or be a miscarriage but if they put two maybe the second one would have normal chromosones and would develope into a baby.