Anyone else doing IUIs with injectibles and DS?

I am soon to be 34 and my DH is 30. We knew we had to use DS from the beginning of our treatment. Our RE said that everything seemed to be functioning normal with me. We started IUIs in January and have been doing them back-to-back each month. We have had 1 natural cycle with trigger and prometrium, 4 cycles with Clomid, trigger and prometrium and 1 cycle with Bravelle, trigger and prometrium. We decided to try injectibles after the Clomid wasn’t working. We have used several donors from three sperm banks. Due to cost and other things, we are choosing not to do IVF. It has definitely been a trying time for us. We don’t know how many more times we can do this because of the emotional and financial strain.

I am wondering what other people’s experiences have been with DS, using injectibles after Clomid, or doing more than 6 IUIs…

We did injectibles and DS which resulted in a BFP this past month. We also knew my husband would have issues, I’m 32, he’s 31 and I have one blocked tube so my doctor moved us straight to injectibles, we never did clomid. It took us 2 tries, but it did work. I also have a friend in a similar situation who also went straight to injectibles and it worked on the first try. I don’t know if that’s helpful or not, but did want to let you know that it could work. Are you donors, donors that have had confirmed pregnancies in the past? What is your doctor telling you about the specimens you’re using each month?

[QUOTE=kdeltasig]We did injectibles and DS which resulted in a BFP this past month. We also knew my husband would have issues, I’m 32, he’s 31 and I have one blocked tube so my doctor moved us straight to injectibles, we never did clomid. It took us 2 tries, but it did work. I also have a friend in a similar situation who also went straight to injectibles and it worked on the first try. I don’t know if that’s helpful or not, but did want to let you know that it could work. Are you donors, donors that have had confirmed pregnancies in the past? What is your doctor telling you about the specimens you’re using each month?[/QUOTE]

Kdeltasig-Thank you for your response. I think most of the donors we have used have had pregnancies before. Our RE did suggested using a different donor when we met after a few unsuccessful tries and we told her we had used three! The specimens themselves have been fine. We were told that anything above 10 million is good. May I ask what sperm bank you used?

We used NY Cryo. It was a lot cheaper than the other places we looked into, plus it had the donor that best matched my husband. What about monitoring, is that the issue? I only had one follicle each time (as my doctor is really cautious about overstimulating) and they were very diligent in making sure timing was optimal. I had an ultrasound every other day from CD3 to the day of IUI (and then the day after to make sure I ovulated). Good luck!

SktlsFamTwo:
Please forgive my ignorance. What is a natural IUI cycle? I thought it did not involve [U]any[/U] meds, but based on your posting I think I was wrong.
What are the injectibles? I am trying to understand pros and cons of different options before starting the process.
Thank you!
Lina

kdeltasig-Thank you for letting me know about which sperm bank you used. I’m not sure if monitoring is the issue. When I go in for ultrasounds, they usually say they want the lead follicle to be at least 18 mm. I either have one or two each cycle. They also don’t do an ultrasound after my IUI. My nurse told me that you can’t tell if I ovulated by doing one. The clinic I go to is pretty large so sometimes it feels like they are not taking my individual situation into account but go for a one size fits all treatment.

Lina12-I’m not sure what the exact definition of a natural cycle is but that’s what my RE is calling it since I didn’t use any medication to increase the number of eggs. My nurse told me that I can have as much intervention as I wanted so I decided to do a natural cycle with the trigger shot so I could plan a little bit ahead as to when my IUI would be. The injectible medication I am using is FSH (specific brand name is Bravelle).

[QUOTE=SktlsFamTwo]kdeltasig-Thank you for letting me know about which sperm bank you used. I’m not sure if monitoring is the issue. When I go in for ultrasounds, they usually say they want the lead follicle to be at least 18 mm. I either have one or two each cycle. They also don’t do an ultrasound after my IUI. My nurse told me that you can’t tell if I ovulated by doing one. The clinic I go to is pretty large so sometimes it feels like they are not taking my individual situation into account but go for a one size fits all treatment.

No problem! What your nurse is saying doesn’t make any sense. My doctor always measures the mature follicle(s) and then does the ultrasound the next day to confirm its no longer there–ie you ovulated. Maybe you should discuss this with them again. My clinic is pretty large as well. Depending on the doctor I see, I just feel like I’m on a conveyor belt–but it worked so I can’t complain that much I guess. Good luck!

Sktls - Sorry you are going through so much. I can relate to your struggle as we started the IUI w/DS journey back in 2009. After five IUIs (two with Clomid), we finally achieved pregnancy in July 2009 and had our first son in March 2010.

18 months later we decided to TTC#2 and thought it would be easy since we knew what worked for baby #1. We were wrong. Apparently, some of my levels had changed (low FSH and low LH) and I needed a little more help the second time around. We achieved pregnancy on our 4th, 7th, and 8th IUIs…Clomid for the 4th resulted in m/c, Repronex for the 7th and 8th, but the 7th resulted in m/c.

We did use our same donor for all 13 IUIs…strangely, both of our successful pregnancies came from our lowest sperm counts. Our first son was about 11 million/52% motility and this one was 14 million/48% motility. I figured it wasn’t going to work because of the low motility, but it worked!

I really hope that you have success! My experience was that injectibles did make a difference, although I didn’t get pregnant on my first injectible cycle, but I did on my 2nd and 3rd. Good luck!

kdeltasig-I may ask my nurse again about doing an ultrasound after the IUI. I am actually thinking of getting a second opinion and trying out a different doctor. We will see. I have my IUI this week sometime so maybe I will switch if this is unsuccessful. Thank you!

Kris79-Thank you for sharing your story! It gives me hope! And it’s good to know that I am not alone. :slight_smile: