Anyone else frustrated they never got a real diagnosis?

When DH and I went to the doc at first and had blood tests, I came back with high FSH, and the doc explained what that meant in detail. DH and I both went home feeling like we had been given an explanation for WHY I had not become pregnant and had been encouraged to go straight to IVF.

When we went back to the doctor, we ended up seeing a different doctor that day at the clinic who told us that the high FSH was not the reason WHY we weren’t getting pregnant, that it was still unknown. And I said ‘Don’t we want to investigate further why?’ The answer was no because the solution to whatever they find would be IVF and we were already doing it.

I’m annoyed with this aspect of the treatment. I want to be pregnant as soon as possible, but sometimes I wonder if it wasn’t something minor that could have been fixed before doing IVF. And then there is the lingering feeling that even if IVF works, there is still something ‘wrong’ with us that is still unknown and what if this presents further medical complications down the road. Also, the idea of going through IVF for a second or third child is daunting. This experience has been trying enough.

Did anyone else feel this way or did you all get solid diagnoses?

[QUOTE=bluesinseville]When DH and I went to the doc at first and had blood tests, I came back with high FSH, and the doc explained what that meant in detail. DH and I both went home feeling like we had been given an explanation for WHY I had not become pregnant and had been encouraged to go straight to IVF.

When we went back to the doctor, we ended up seeing a different doctor that day at the clinic who told us that the high FSH was not the reason WHY we weren’t getting pregnant, that it was still unknown. And I said ‘Don’t we want to investigate further why?’ The answer was no because the solution to whatever they find would be IVF and we were already doing it.

I’m annoyed with this aspect of the treatment. I want to be pregnant as soon as possible, but sometimes I wonder if it wasn’t something minor that could have been fixed before doing IVF. And then there is the lingering feeling that even if IVF works, there is still something ‘wrong’ with us that is still unknown and what if this presents further medical complications down the road. Also, the idea of going through IVF for a second or third child is daunting. This experience has been trying enough.

Did anyone else feel this way or did you all get solid diagnoses?[/QUOTE]

I did feel this way, and it was by doing IVF we learned I actually have PCOS. I am not sure if there was more investigating they could have done. And actually, high FSH is a reason plenty of women don’t get pregnant, so I do think it’s a valid cause of infertility.

I hope they learn more by doing your IVF. I was unexplained for 4 years and only by doing IVF did I get a diagnosis!

I too find it frustrating that doctors won’t do in depth testing until we fail to get pregnant or miscarry. Like you, I only had high fsh as my diagnosis. After 5 miscarriages and a new RE, I finally had the RPL panel done and found out I have clotting issues. My old RE hadn’t even wanted to do that testing despite my history – she just wanted us to do ivf first.

I went to a new acupuncturist yesterday who specializes in infertility. He thinks I may have endometriosis since I have a family history of it and my mom had no symptoms either until it nearly destroyed a kidney. He told me to ask the embryologist to note the color of the eggs before they are fertilized. If they are dark and cloudy, it means my immune system is attacking them. If that’s the case and the cycle fails, he wants me to have exploratory laparascopy before I do another cycle.