Anyone Taking/Have Taken Nexium?

I’ve been prescribed for Nexium (2 times a day) since November. I have atypical gerd. I have tried coming off it twice since then and have always felt AWFUL. I feel like I have a sore throat and am on the verge of vomitting. I know that Nexium is not a medication you should stay on for long, but my doctor has reassured me that if I need it that bad, it’s ok. I checked and found out that Nexium is not safe during pregnancy. For those of you who have taken nexium before, what is working for you know?? I am going to ask my RE tomorrow, but I want to have a list to ask him about.

I used to take Nexium but stopped because it gave me awful headaches. I switched to Protonix which worked great but I don’t know if it’s safe during pregnancy. When I was pregnant I took Prevacid and it worked great for me.

Nexium is a Class B drug for pregnancy, which is a lot better than many of the other heartburn medications. Category B means that animal studies show no risk or adverse fetal effects, but controlled human first trimester studies are not available. Somehow I doubt many drugs get tested on women in the first trimester, so Category B is pretty good.

My OB prescribed Nexium to me during my last pregnancy, starting in the 2nd trimester. I’m not sure about using in the 1st trimester, but I would not hesitate to take it again starting in the 2nd. It is the only thing that saved me from massive heartburn.

Talk to your doctor about using it while TTC and the first trimester.