Anyone with Immune Response to Pregnancy Please Help

Hi everyone – I am new to this board but I have read many of the posts and have taken a lot of comfort from the boards the last four days. Just a quick background b/c I am looking for advice / experience / help from the knowledgable women here. I am 39 – froze my eggs when I was 36 at CCRM to preserve my fertility. Never met “the one” so decided to move forward as a single mom by choice. I always joked with my Dr. at CCRM, “I don’t have a fertility problem, I have a boyfriend problem.” Turns out the joke was on me – in April I transferred two CCS tested normal embryos and they believe both implanted based on my high hcg levels. Unfortunately, I had a miscarriage on Weds and lost them both. Because the embies has been genetically tested and were great, the probability I would lose both is sub <1%, so now they are focused on me and my body. I had a full uterues check pre-implantation and that was really good, so Dr. thinks my body is rejecting the embies and I may have an auto-immune defect or my PCOS is interferring somehow with my pregnancy.

Here are my questions – and please any / all responses are appreciated. 1) Anyone else face this auto-immune issue? 2) How did they treat it? What did they recommend? 3) Where you able to have a baby once they figured out what was wrong and how to treat it? 4) Any advice you can give me on moving forward with this?

I am so sad and scared – I feel like God doesn’t want this for me. Please help if you can.

TTBAMIM

I’m still going through fertility issues myself, and although I did not do CCS prior to my transfer, I did a karytype of my miscarriages, and both times the results were normal. I will be trying one last time, and will be on lovenox, prednisone (20mg/ day), intralipid infusion, claritin, and pepcid, as well as the usual PIO and estrace. This is an aggressive treatment of immune issues. All of my immunology testing came back normal, so I’m not sure what is happening, but I suspect my body is treating the embryo like a transplanted organ and fighting against it. The prednisone and intralipids should help the most with supressing immune responses.

Luv4 - thanks for the response! I am wishing you all the luck in the world and please keep me posted on how it goes.

TTBAMIM

There is a great book about immune issues - Is Your Body Baby Friendly? by Alan Beer, MD.

I bought mine on Amazon and it arrived in two days. It is technical but written so the average person can follow the info. It answered a lot of questions and calmed some fears I had, outlines different treatment options, etc.

I wish you all the best. Please keep reaching out, there are a lot of really knowledgable women on here who have helped me.

I am currently being treated for infertility, but after 2 failed IVFs and a family history of auto immune disorders my doctor thinks that our unexplained fertility is actually auto immune related. We did some basic tests that all came back normal. Instead of spending more money on testing we will try lovenox and baby aspirin in addition to progesterone and 4 days of methylprednisolone on our next cycle. If we still fail, I think I will look into a consult with a reproductive immunologist.

Katie – thanks for your response. My doc is also recommending heparin and prednisone to try to prevent blood clots and/or a swelling reaction. Maybe worth asking your Dr. about that too?

Hopeful – thanks for the advice on the book – I’ve already ordered it on Amazon. I’d like to be more informed of my options before I decide whether to try again or to head the surrogate route.

Thanks ladies – and good luck to both of you!

I have had everything tested, you name it.
Natural killer cells - normal
Blood clotting issues - positive will be on lovenox
Auto immune disorders - normal
PGD (CGH) - 6 normal

With my last fresh cycle it was a BFN. 2 CGH normal blasts transferred.

Despite normal results on everything I managed to convince my doctor to put me on methylprednisolone starting cycle day 1 til pregnancy test and if pregnant continue for 6 more weeks. I had a genetic test done which showed i have familial mediterranean disorder and it causes inflammation. I have had inflammation in my lung and bladder and I convinced my doctor that I could have it in my uterus too. She said she didnt think so because she sent my uterine biopsy for testing and my white blood cells count is normal (high reading indicates inflammation). But she decided to put me on steroid longer anyway for my next FET.

[quote=alexi]I have had everything tested, you name it.
Natural killer cells - normal
Blood clotting issues - positive will be on lovenox
Auto immune disorders - normal
PGD (CGH) - 6 normal

With my last fresh cycle it was a BFN. 2 CGH normal blasts transferred.

Despite normal results on everything I managed to convince my doctor to put me on methylprednisolone starting cycle day 1 til pregnancy test and if pregnant continue for 6 more weeks. I had a genetic test done which showed i have familial mediterranean disorder and it causes inflammation. I have had inflammation in my lung and bladder and I convinced my doctor that I could have it in my uterus too. She said she didnt think so because she sent my uterine biopsy for testing and my white blood cells count is normal (high reading indicates inflammation). But she decided to put me on steroid longer anyway for my next FET.[/quote]
Hi Alexi: I am surprised that your RE didn’t put you on Medrol (methylprednisolone) or Dexamethasone from the start since you did ICSI. There is research that says IVF with ICSI’d embryos benefit from steroid suppression. I wish you amazing success.

I actually was on steroid for all my cycles but only for the first 5 days after trigger. I asked my old RE to put me on it longer but he won’t even entertain that idea he said he’s afraid of the risk of infection since it lowers your immunity. So now I am seeing a new RE. BFN first cycle with CGH normal embryos so what else could it be? So she actually is willing to put me on it longer but she did advise of the potential risks and i’m prepared for it.

hi ladies
i am a mother and gestational surrogate
i am going thru IVF for a couple right now and i am having an issue i think with the same problem…just my own suspisions anyway. we have done 3 IVF and got pregnant twice(two different egg donors) once with twins that didint make it past 7weeks and this last time i had positive HPT’s that started getting lighter at day 8pt-10pt and then negative beta.
Clearly my body is trying to accept these embryos but something is happening. i am on all the estrace and PIO. i was thinking of asking my RE to keep me on the steroid longer as well