Anyone's DH ever go through two mtese procedures?

Dh underwent mtese (microdissection surgical sperm retreival) last year in March of 2012. At the same time he had three large varicoceles repaired. No sperm were found during the mtese. Since then he has been on Clomid and most recently fsh injections. All his subsequent SA have had zero sperm except for the last two where we saw three (yes three) non-motile sperm. His RE and urologist now recommend that he undergo another mtese to see whether or not there are sperm inside the testicle. This will be coordinated with me going through IVF. I think we’re just gonna go for it as a last ditch effort to try to have a child that is biologically related to both of us. We both feel that, even if the procedure doesn’t work, we will be glad to have done it so that we can know that we tried everything before moving on to other options. My DH said that if we don’t try it he will always wonder, so going through the procedure for that peace of mind alone will be worth it.
I was wondering if anyone else’s DH has had two mtese procedures?
Also - I am having a hard time with the fact that although there is nothing wrong with my fertility, I have to go through the whole IVF process and put my body through all the hormones and shots. I know that is terrible considering everything my DH has been through, but I’m just being honest. I’m mad that I have to go through this. But I am willing to do it if there is a chance we can have a baby that is genetically both of ours. Any advice on coping with that?
I’d love a response from anyone who has been down this road…thank you!

My DH had two mTese, he had the first which found limited sperm and it was frozen, they also did a biopsy which found cancer, he then had a second 4 mths later with my egg retrieval so that we could have embies before he had to have his testicle removed. His second mTese was not successful and the frozen samples from the first did not give us anything to work with either. But his physical recovery from the surgery was faster the second time(emotional was another story!)
Since you have found some sperm in your SA i would think that you have an excellent chance to find success with the second mTese…but i am one that recommends that you prep for IVF at the same time as mTese cause each sperm is way too valuable to risk not having an egg for it or risk it not surviving a thaw…
GOOD LUCK!!!

Shana,
We are about to do our second mTese plus IVF through Cornell. I understand and can empathize with your feelings about having to go through IVF (been there). But please don’t make the mistake of thinking that just because you and your husband need IVF due to male factor, your body doesn’t play a huge (and even more important) role in the IVF success. Once you take this process outside the body everything counts. I say this from experience, we did IVF plus mTese last May. I brushed off a lot of the wisdom on here about supplements and acupuncture and protocols because I thought “I am not the problem” (and I was 32). Well even though I have “nothing” wrong, it turns out my eggs were “hard to inject” and out of 14 eggs only 4 fertilized. That cycle and our FET were both negative.

Your ability to produce eggs, your hormone levels, your health - that determines IVF success. The mTese just solves the sperm issue.

My point being - this really is something you are doing together. Also for coping more generally, a good fertility acupuncturist is a lifesaver. Seriously.

Thank you guys for your responses. It makes me feel better hearing that other peoples’ husbands have also gone through two mtese surgeries.

We meet with the urologist/surgeon tomorrow to discuss details. I am just worried about my DH going through all that trauma again. I’m nervous about scar tissue and trauma to the testicle and impacting his testosterone levels. After the first mtese my DH had some issues with minor leg numbness for a long time. And I’ve read that too much trauma to the testicles can result in problems down the road…

Did either of your Dh’s have any issues after the second surgery? (San Diegan, I know your DH hasn’t had the second surgery yet, but what have the doctors at Cornell said about the risks? Are you seeing Dr. Schlagel?).

And you are right San Diegan about needing to make sure my body is ready as well. That is one of my biggest fears, that we’ll go through all of this and get sperm from my DH and then it won’t work because there will be some issue with my eggs…but since the 1st of the year I’ve been cutting back on coffee and alcohol and once we get started I’ll cut them out completely. I’ve been exercising and trying to eat healthy. I’ve been on prenatals for 2 years now (I started them when we first started TTC not knowing about DH’s azoo, and then I just never stopped taking them). I haven’t gotten into accupuncture or meditation or anything like that…its so expensive and time consuming but I guess if we are going to try this I should go all in and put forth every effort I can. Any other tips or advice? I’ve heard low carb, high protein diet is really important as well.

Hey Shana,
I just saw this. We just finished our cycle at Cornell (we are still waiting on results). Second surgery was wayyyy harder than the first, and less successful (harder to find sperm). Luckily we had a frozen backup. My husband wanted to do the second surgery, so not doing it was never really something we discussed. I actually loved Cornell. They are huge, and can feel a little impersonal, but they monitored me daily, adjusted my meds with my almost daily bloodwork, and were just a great clinic. My husband saw Dr. Schlegel and liked him. Dr. S ordered some testing for three months from now to check my husband’s testosterone levels. I was not even interested in acupuncture until after our failed IVF. It was worth the money for me, seriously reduced my stress levels, and helped me gain perspective on our process. Also I knew we had limited chances so I wanted to throw the book at the issue.

Thanks for this post San Diegan. Have you gotten any results yet? What was the outcome of your DH’s second mtese? Why was it way harder? Harder re recovery? Re pain? How is your DH now? My DH is the same as yours - not doing the second mtese is not an option. If we are going to move on to other options (adoption, or donor) he wants to know we tried everything first. Our app with his urologist a couple weeks ago went well except the urologist wants DH to wait another three months to see if maybe there will be more sperm in his ejaculate and/or better sperm in the testicle. So we are still waiting. We have an out of state wedding at the end of August and may go on a vacation before that so we decided to just put everything off til September. We decided that in September we are going to move full steam ahead and get his mtese schedueld and get my IVF going.

Anyway, what results are you guys still waiting on? And if you could be more specific re why the second mtese was way harder I would really appreciate it.

Thank you again!

[quote=SanDiegan]Hey Shana,
I just saw this. We just finished our cycle at Cornell (we are still waiting on results). Second surgery was wayyyy harder than the first, and less successful (harder to find sperm). Luckily we had a frozen backup. My husband wanted to do the second surgery, so not doing it was never really something we discussed. I actually loved Cornell. They are huge, and can feel a little impersonal, but they monitored me daily, adjusted my meds with my almost daily bloodwork, and were just a great clinic. My husband saw Dr. Schlegel and liked him. Dr. S ordered some testing for three months from now to check my husband’s testosterone levels. I was not even interested in acupuncture until after our failed IVF. It was worth the money for me, seriously reduced my stress levels, and helped me gain perspective on our process. Also I knew we had limited chances so I wanted to throw the book at the issue.[/quote]

Update?

Hi San Diegan, I was just wondering how you are doing and what the outcome of your cycle was. I hope you guys had good news and if not I’m so sorry and send you a big hug. We are going to do IVF timed with a repeat mtese for my DH in September/October. I will start IVF with my September period and then DH will undergo a repeat mtese. I have no expectations as other than two SA where he had one and two non-motile sperm, DH has had zero since we started this process, despite almost nine months of fsh injections. We’v been discussing donor sperm in the event they do not find any sperm during the mtese. Its so crazy to think we are in this position. Still after all this time, I still sometimes can’t wrap my head around it. Other days I feel more accepting and at peace with it all. In any event, I am happy to know that regardless of the outcome, come end of September/October we will have moved on one way or another. Finally, and end to all this waiting is in sight.

Anyway, just thought I would reach out and see what happened with you guys and how you are doing. I am crossing my fingers for you guys. All the best.

[quote=SanDiegan]Hey Shana,
I just saw this. We just finished our cycle at Cornell (we are still waiting on results). Second surgery was wayyyy harder than the first, and less successful (harder to find sperm). Luckily we had a frozen backup. My husband wanted to do the second surgery, so not doing it was never really something we discussed. I actually loved Cornell. They are huge, and can feel a little impersonal, but they monitored me daily, adjusted my meds with my almost daily bloodwork, and were just a great clinic. My husband saw Dr. Schlegel and liked him. Dr. S ordered some testing for three months from now to check my husband’s testosterone levels. I was not even interested in acupuncture until after our failed IVF. It was worth the money for me, seriously reduced my stress levels, and helped me gain perspective on our process. Also I knew we had limited chances so I wanted to throw the book at the issue.[/quote]

Shana11- I know you were trying to get in touch with someone else, but I just wanted to let you know I have been where you are with hoping on the mTESE. I really hope it works out for you :cross: I feel very lucky and blessed that my DH and I had such a great outcome. But I remember us tossing around the questions of DS, adoption, ect before the biopsy/TESE and it is a difficult set of conversations to have, and very surreal.
I remember reassuring him though that no matter what he was stuck w/ me :wink: and whatever happened was how it should be, and we would figure it out together.
I also used to tease him that I wasn’t going to be the only one feeling pain from a potential pregnancy/delivery that his biopsy/TESE was his part of the deal. :slight_smile: Hope all goes well for you and your DH.

I really appreciate your open and honest conversations. My DH and I have discussed MTese, however we have temporarily “tabled the conversation”. We wanted to slow down and just enjoy each other. It’s helpful to know that we aren’t the only couple going through this. I find that it’s been such a sensitive subject for the both of us. I would love to just be able to talk about it - openly. Any advice, suggestions in regards to mtese - doctors - infertility in general?