Appointment with RE

My first appt. with my RE is tomorrow. Is there certain questions that I should ask? What should I expect?

i’m not an expert. But it looks like you have blocked tubes… so your conversation should prolly start somewhere around IVF and the different types of IVF they do… prices, how long the process takes for each option, medications… things like that. You should also ask about any tests they may want to do. Once you start talking to your doctor, you’ll come up with questions :slight_smile: good luck!

Hi Jen

Thanks for the feed back. This is like an emotional roller coaster. I know they won’t do anything the first visit but I still have butterflies. I guess having being told no for so long now there is am ounce of hope I’m just nervous. At least now I have an idea of the lines of questions. Thanks for the advice.

Hello Ladies,

My appt. with my new RE in DC went well. He answered all of my questions and I’m pleased with the outcome. My main concern now is all of teh additional testing he wants to do. I honestly don’t want to repeat my HSG. It’s been nine years and I’m sure nothing has chancged. Secondly, I don’t think the sprem analysis is necessary for my husband his fishy are swimming fine. I’m wondering if this is just an add on to get extra money out of teh self paying customers. I have never had a IVF doctor tell me he wants to repeat testing already done.

Secondly, he says the more eggs you transfer the more of a chance that you will miscarry. This is the first I have heard. He only wants to transfer one back. I was thinking two just to make sure it takes. RE says I have a 40% chance of having twins. My response, "Thats not necessarily a bad thing.

What do you think ladies?

[FONT=“Century Gothic”][SIZE=“3”][COLOR=“Purple”]Hello. Boy oh boy do I disagree with your RE on some things. I do agree on repeating the tests. Its necessary to know if there are other factors that may contribute to a BFN.

But, at your age, only transferring one is absolutely stupid. 2 or more. And the chances of twins at your age is about 5%. Our clinic is one of the top clinics in the state of Florida. What clinic are you going to? What are their success rates? Each year they need to report to the Board all of their results from every IVF/IUI that they perform. I would make sure that yours has at least a 40% per IVF success rate.

And the more eggs you transfer will NOT increase your odds of miscarriage. Transfer Grade A or Grade B eggs and start with 2. If you don’t get A’s or B’s then you should transfer more.

More importantly, what is the lab like at this clinic? Do they have the capacity and capabilities of growing your babies out to day 6 or day 7? Do they use vitrification for freezing or the old way because vitrification is better.

I would research how much success your doc and the clinic has. Also, are you always going to be able to speak with someone on call 24/7? That is one of the most IMPORTANT questions.

Good luck.:grouphug:

[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote=Marriagerocks][FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]Hello. Boy oh boy do I disagree with your RE on some things. I do agree on repeating the tests. Its necessary to know if there are other factors that may contribute to a BFN.

But, at your age, only transferring one is absolutely stupid. 2 or more. And the chances of twins at your age is about 5%. Our clinic is one of the top clinics in the state of Florida. What clinic are you going to? What are their success rates? Each year they need to report to the Board all of their results from every IVF/IUI that they perform. I would make sure that yours has at least a 40% per IVF success rate.

And the more eggs you transfer will NOT increase your odds of miscarriage. Transfer Grade A or Grade B eggs and start with 2. If you don’t get A’s or B’s then you should transfer more.

More importantly, what is the lab like at this clinic? Do they have the capacity and capabilities of growing your babies out to day 6 or day 7? Do they use vitrification for freezing or the old way because vitrification is better.

I would research how much success your doc and the clinic has. Also, are you always going to be able to speak with someone on call 24/7? That is one of the most IMPORTANT questions.

Good luck.:grouphug:

[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

MarriageRocks,

Thank you so much for responding to my message. Well, the clinic of choice right now is Shady Grove Fertility in DC. I am in SC and I’m actually taking an IVF vacation because there is only one clinic in Columbia and the other clinics in SC is to expensive. I’m paying out of pocket so I have been price shopping. This clinic has really good rates and programs for self-paying patients to bring the cost down. Based on their success rate on the national website it’s about 50%. I asked if I can transfer 2 eggs and he said yes but he would not suggest it. It almost makes me think that he only wants to do one because if it fails I will have to come back. This is my first IVF experience and I was not expecting all of this. I’m not sure about the freezing and their lines of communication sucks. I sent my nurse an email last Friday and I still have not heard back from her and when I called in Monday she was out. This is making me second guess my decision. What do you think? Florida was actuall on my list to research.

[FONT=“Century Gothic”][SIZE=“3”][COLOR=“Purple”]Wow. I most certainly wouldn’t use that clinic if communication is already lacking. That is just a taste of what it is going to be like for you. Our clinic doesn’t communicate via email at all. There are so many RN’s and staff at your beckon call and they have their own separate Surgery Center for the IVF’s, etc. that is connected to the clinic.

The clinic I use is RMG out of Tampa. They have all kinds of programs that will guarantee you a baby or your money back. They will do out of town monitoring on you with a clinic local near you and then about 2 days before the retrieval they will have you come here until the day after the transfer.

We have always been out of pocket, too, so I know exactly how you feel. And because of that you should get a doctor that will do exactly as you wish… as long as it doesn’t risk killing you! LOL.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Marriagerocks,

I just called the office back to speak with one of the out-of-state coordinators. She was very nice and stated that she would find my nurse and have her call me. She explained more to me than the nurse did when I spoke with her. She stated that she get everything straight for me and call me back by the end of the day. Shepulled my chart and a couple of things needed to be clarified why we did. I think we are all on the same page now :woohoo: . At least I hope so.

Day 6 Freezing Report

[FONT=“Century Gothic”][SIZE=“3”][COLOR=“Purple”]
I just got the call I’ve been waiting for all day and it’s wonderful news! :cheer:

[B][COLOR=“Red”]4[/B] of our babies made it to Day 6 Blasts today. They were the following stages and grades:

(3) 3AB’s :cheer:
(1) 3AC :cheer:

I have been thanking God since and this has completely made my day! :thankyou:

I am happy that they were able to work it out for you. I wish you the best with them. If you ever need to talk feel free to PM me anytime. [/SIZE][/FONT]

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: C O N G R A T S T O Y O U!!!

Everything is going to work itself out. I finally spoke with my nurse for 30 mins and she answered every last one of my questions. I feel a lot better now and everything is making since. I’m no longer worried. But I don’t think I’m going to use them. They are still insisting on only transferring one egg and they are not budging. They don’t want multiples.:grr:

[quote=Marriagerocks][FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]
I just got the call I’ve been waiting for all day and it’s wonderful news! :cheer:

[B]4[/B] of our babies made it to Day 6 Blasts today. They were the following stages and grades:

(3) 3AB’s :cheer:
(1) 3AC :cheer:

I have been thanking God since and this has completely made my day! :thankyou:

I am happy that they were able to work it out for you. I wish you the best with them. If you ever need to talk feel free to PM me anytime. [/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

That is such wonderful news! :cheer: Sounds like you have alot to be thankful for this holiday!

[FONT=“Century Gothic”][SIZE=“3”][COLOR=“Purple”]Thank you Ladies for all of your congrats! It is very sweet of both of you! :slight_smile: [/SIZE][/FONT]

Things has not been working out for me with my RE. We have been going back and forth over the plan of treatment. I have gotten a second opinion and they agree that his plan of treatment is over the top and the test are not necessary. My RE has refused to treat me unless I have the test repeated. So Im looking for a new RE.

[FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][B]Passion[/B], [/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3]It is probably the best FOR YOU and your success rate if you transfer to another RE. I know it is a pain, but if you really want a baby then it’s something that is necessary. I am just so grateful that I have one that is more “open” to what we want. Afterall, they are there for us… .not themselves. And we are paying their salary so they should give us exactly what we want.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Keep me posted! :grouphug: [/SIZE]

You are so correct this should be about me and not about making my doctor rich. My first apt. with the new RE is Jan. 26th :pray: this one works

Shady grove is a VERY reputable clinic. They DO only want to transfer one because twins are HIGH risk no matter at what age.

I dont know why you wouldnt want to repeat the HSG especially if you are self pay. And HSG is going to tell you if you have any problems w/your uterus. When i had mine they found a polyp which couldve very well prevented implantation of the embies we transfered.

I honestly dont know of an RE who is going to do IVF and transfer WITHOUT an HSG that is current. I wish you luck on your new RE. But all of these tests are standard unless youve had them done in the last 6 months. God bless

I have spoken to several other RE who does not feel that repeating this test is necessary. Each RE is different and in my case these test arent need. Thanks for your input