April IVF

[COLOR=“Purple”][SIZE=“3”]Hey ladies!

I know it’s a little early but I was thinking that it would be nice to start a thread for IVF’s in April so we can start to get to know each other and support one another through the whole process.

I will be doing my first IVF on Antagonist protocol in mid April.

Hope to build some relationships in here soon!!! Lets all get our :bfp: !!!:babydust:

Jamie[/SIZE]

April 2010 IVF

Not too early to start! I’ve been hoping someone would :slight_smile: I’ve never even posted on this site, even though I read it almost daily.

I just had my first IVF failure, so we’re scheduled for round 2 in April. Well we’re supposed to start stimming at the end of March, but the part when I’ll need the most support is going to be early April. Think I should stay on this thread or do March??

Since it’s your first IVF round, feel free to ask me any questions about the process. It’s a rollercoaster!

April 2010 IVF

Not too early to start! I’ve been hoping someone would :slight_smile: I’ve never even posted on this site, even though I read it almost daily.

I just had my first IVF failure, so we’re scheduled for round 2 in April. Well we’re supposed to start stimming at the end of March, but the part when I’ll need the most support is going to be early April. Think I should stay on this thread or do March??

Since it’s your first IVF round, feel free to ask me any questions about the process. It’s a rollercoaster!

YAY!!! I’m so happy to have a buddy for April! I think you should stay here. I might actually start at the end of March also but the actual IVF will be in April.

I saw the other thread from that other girl, should we move over there or have her come over here??

Also, what protocol are you on this time? And what did you use last time? I am torn between Lupron and Antagonist. My doctor was originally thinking Antagonist but I’m going in on day 18 of my cycle before the cycle we will do the IVF just to talk about it and to be sure Antagonist is the right way for me.

HEY! I asked her to join this thread, so hopefully she will! By the time April comes around, we should have lots of company, haha.

I used Lupron. To be honest, I don’t know the difference between Lupron and an antagonist. I was just following my RE’s instructions blindly, which I won’t be doing again. I sort of think I was pretending like I wasn’t going through IVF! Please enlighten me about the difference :slight_smile: I’m just going to follow the layout for the IVF success thread to give you the rundown of my first IVF round.

Diagnosis or any known issues: PCOS
Treatments you tried before IVF: Clomid (3x), IUI (3x)
Are you using donor eggs or sperm: no
Protocol (meds taken): Follistim, Lupron, Menopure, baby Aspirin, prentals, injectable progesterone, estrogen tablets
How many follicles at ER: 20
How many eggs retrieved: 9
How many eggs fertilized: 8 - 2 transferred and NONE FROZE :grr:
How many days between ER and ET: 3
How many and quality/rating of embryos/blasts transferred: 2, one 6-cell and one 7-cell, both were rated 3 (4 is best at our clinic)
Symptoms or issues during 2WW: cramps, bloating, swollen boobs

When we got started with IVF, we were under the impression that our chances for success were much higher than they were. I feel like we did everything right (loads of bed rest, meds at same time every day, etc.), so I don’t look back and wonder where it went wrong. What I’ve learned from reading posts on this site, and now through personal experience, is that there is no rhyme or reason why it works some times and not others. Hopefully you’ll be successful your first round though!

Wow, I’m so sorry you didn’t have any left to freeze!!! I would be really upset. I hope you have some this time around! Following your RE’s instructions blindly actually doesn’t sound like such a bad idea. At least you weren’t obsessing about the other options she didn’t choose like I am right now!!

As far as I know (anybody feel free to correct me if I’m wrong) the diff between Lupron and Antagonist protocol is that the Lupron will shut down your pituitary gland to give your ovaries a rest the cycle before you do IVF, and to make sure that your body doesn’t ovulate too early after you start stims. I’ve also heard that it helps the clinic time their IVF’s better. With Antagonist, you start stims, then around day 6 of stimulation you start Antagonist injections to make sure you don’t ovulate too early. My doctor says that in this day and age they use Antagonists more since it saves you like 10 days of injections and works just as well.

The thing is that I am living in Madrid, Spain so I don’t know if they just do things differently here. Also it is a smaller clinic which is nice because they are a lot more personable and aren’t pushing people thru like cattle. I just don’t know what I should do since almost every story I read says that the women went on Lupron. Oh well, I’ll just have to talk to my RE next month!

For now lets try to relax and live in the moment!

I made it!

Hey ladies… I made it over here… I totally missed this but that isn’t unusual for me… LOL

Nice to see I am not the only one thinking of the upcoming months… :slight_smile:

I am Katie… this will be my second attempt at IVF… 1st one I never made it to ER due to NO RESPONSE to the stims. I was over suppressed is what my RE, DH and I are all thinking and hoping happened.
This next round that will start when I get AF in March will be with NO LUPRON and NO BCP… I will be using Ganirelix and Luveris along with Follistim this round. Praying this protocol works for us.

Claire I am sorry that you didn’t have any to freeze… is it that none made it to freeze or the doctor didn’t allow you to freeze? Sorry if I missed something.

Jaime from what I have googled it seems like we will be doing similar protocols… are you using BCPs at all?

What all do you have planned to occupy your time from now until then?
We have a 5th birthday party to plan and have for our DS, mid February and then Spring Break in March we are going to the Smoky Mountains … I think this will help the time go by quicker… and I am actually kind of glad it is not until April because that gives my body 3 full months of no Meds at all. The last dose of Follistim I took was on Dec 2, 2009 so by April I should be READY to Rock and Roll.

YAY! You made it :slight_smile: We had no idea that there was even a possibility we wouldn’t have any to freeze after hearing 8 fertilized, but the last 3 eggs stopped developing I guess. We were definitely disappointed because I really dislike this whole process (ultrasounds almost every other day, moodiness, bloating, etc.). I was really hoping we could bypass the egg retrieval part if we got a :bfn: But oh well! At least I know what I’m in for this time . . .

I’m using Ganirelix this next round because my doctor gave us freebies :slight_smile: We’re also using a combo of Follistim and Gonal-F, again because of freebies (same drug, just different companies). That’s interesting about the Antagonist protocol. I was reading up on it and found this: IVF Stimulation Medication Protocols & Follicle Numbers Maybe they just do things differently in Europe?? I’m very jealous you’re in Madrid!

As far as keeping myself busy in the upcoming months, I am looking forward to the SuperBowl (GO SAINTS!), Mardi Gras, and loads of weddings. We’re actually trying to squeeze the IVF round in between two weddings (start stims on March 27th) :cross:

:welcome: Katie!!!

I’m so glad we have a little group starting here!

[COLOR=“Purple”]Katie: No, I am not going on bcp. As far as I know right now, I’ll just be using stims and some form of Antagonist before I trigger. But we’re talking to the doctor in March just to be sure.

[COLOR=“RoyalBlue”]Claire: Are you also not going on Lupron this cycle?? Or is the Ganirelix like Lupron? And Madrid isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. DH and I just spent almost all day running around trying to renew our residency cards, and renew his passport and got sent all over town because NOBODY is on the same page around here. It’s an awesome city to visit but not to live in. I’ve been so home sick lately. (We’ve been here just over a year now and have about 3 more to go)

To keep myself distracted and occupied I am working on loosing a little weight, getting into good shape and changing my diet so I can hopefully have a super healthy pregnancy. I’ve started running again 3 days a week and it’s helping a lot. We also have a short trip planned up to the north of Spain with some friends, and will be having several house guests between now and then so hopefully I’ll be plenty distracted, without getting too worn out.

OK, I’m off to bed. Have a great day ladies! :bsv:

Can’t Wait for April!!!

I am new and I hope you don’t mind me joining?!?!?

I am going to begin Lupron Suppression in April!! I am so ready I can hardly stand myself. I was so excited to see this group (I can only lurk), because April won’t get here quick enough. I had my CD3 testing for this IVF baseline. They tested AMH, FSH, and E2. I am guessing they threw in the AMH, because my eggs are getting older :wink: . So, now I am suppose to patiently wait!! Not… Its killing me!! I would start today if I could! I am waiting on approval from these tests, then I will get the go ahead to call in March. I have been through this craziness before, but who could resist going through this emotional roller-coaster again???

I am really excited to have such a wonderful support system!! Have any of you gotten your protocal for meds and stuff??

Joining you in April as well

Hello ladies,

I will be doing my first IVF in January. I’ve done all my baseline tests while going through the first IUI. Waiting for my next cycle to start so I can call RE office and get my calendar together. Next month they do mock transfer mid-month as well as doplar u/s. My RE suggested acupuncture and also said that if doplar shows not a great bloodflow to uterus, acupuncture will be required before he would proceed. I don’t know exact meds that I will be on but I do know that they will put me on BCP and lupron for suspension phase. They also do 5 day transfer vs. 3 day. After reading quite a bit about both, I am a bit torn which one is better. What will you be doing?

Looking forward to meeting new friends during this challenging but yet exciting roller coaster ride.

Best!
Nat

April start too!

Hi everyone! I am so glad you guys have started posting for April. I’m going to start my first IVF cycle late April. My Lupron start date is 4/17. I’m new to all of this lingo and the whole process so bear with me. I’m here to learn as much as I can and to find out what to expect for the upcoming months. I’m excited and scared at the same time and I’m sure there are much more feelings to come.:nerd:

-Kai

Me: 26 Endo
DH: 28 low count and mobility
TTC: 1.5 yrs

Fall 2009- DH found out low sperm count ME large cyst in left ovary
Jan. 2010- laproscopic surgery to remove cyst ended up with diagnoses of severe ENDO to left ovary and tubes

IVF/ICSI- APRIL 2010 start date

Our group is growing, YAY! I’m so glad because I really regretted not joining a group when I did my first IVF cycle (a couple of weeks ago). The 2ww (2 week wait post transfer) was AGONIZING! I just read every thread on here without commenting, haha.

Jamie, I think Lupron and Ganirelix are similar, maybe just different companies? I’ll have to ask my RE! I’m going to have to make a list of questions after consulting with you!

Happy2Try, I don’t know my protocol yet. I keep postponing my consult with my RE. I’m just burnt out from all the office visits last month! I wasn’t even planning on trying again so soon, but our doctor made us an offer we couldn’t refuse.

Nat, did you mean to write that you’re starting your first IVF cycle in April (it says January)? Also, I didn’t even know I had an option to choose between a 3 and 5 day transfer! I just did what my doc said - originally they said 5 day transfer, but after watching the embryos grow, they bumped it up to a 3 day. Now I’m off to research the difference!

Kai, scared and excited are totally normal! The whole process is such a rollercoaster. I found it emotionally and physically draining, but hopefully it’s all for a great cause! On the bright side, it’s made my relationship with my hubby even stronger :wink:

[quote=katiep]Hey ladies… I made it over here… I totally missed this but that isn’t unusual for me… LOL

Nice to see I am not the only one thinking of the upcoming months… :slight_smile:

I am Katie… this will be my second attempt at IVF… 1st one I never made it to ER due to NO RESPONSE to the stims. I was over suppressed is what my RE, DH and I are all thinking and hoping happened.
This next round that will start when I get AF in March will be with NO LUPRON and NO BCP… I will be using Ganirelix and Luveris along with Follistim this round. Praying this protocol works for us. [/quote]

Just wanted to stop by and wish my special friend Katie the best of luck on her March cycle. I am totally rooting for you girlfriend!!:grouphug:

My girlfriend and I are going to be looking at April for our first (and hopefully last) IVF attempt, so… hi! Looking forward to getting to know you guys. :slight_smile:

-Samantha and Jazz

ClaireT10… I think you are so right!! This crazy rollercoaster will make you and your sweetie so much closer!! Oh, and my RE gave me a deal I could not refuse (he set me up in a study). Our insurance covers nothing, so any little extra helps!! My RE is a sweet man.

My DH said " I have given cows shots, so how hard can this be?" :eek: I know what you are thinking… Can you clone him??? He-he-he-he!! I think I let him survive that cycle… We got a BFP on our second IVF, so he became a pro or I make a great cow!

Portlandrugger: It will be a very exciting spring!! Have they given you your protocol?

Dance138: I think that is the same timing as me!! I think we will be cycle buddies. I will begin Lupron around that time as well!!

Nate1975: Yea for getting your tests done!! My are complete too, but I am interested in getting the results. I obsess over every number…

Jamie: I am with you!! I am planning a trip to Florida for 2 weeks to see family. I am going to have a little sun and fun, before I start my cycle. Though, I am ready now!! I can’t wait!! I bet you will love the small clinic, it will probably be very personal.

KatieP: We did a fun vacation to the Smokey Mtns this summer, it was fun and relaxing!! We will spend spring break in Florida, then I will start Lupron. I loved Follistim… He said that he is going to use it again with me. It did not burn, like some of the other meds.

Hi Happy2Try! We’re in the process of getting all the exams/bloodwork/etc. out of the way right now. Once Jazz’s “AF” (that means Aunt Flo, right?) shows up at the end of this month, they’ll do an ultrasound and some additional tests and I’ll be doing a “mock cycle”. After that, they will put us both on BCP for a month or two before starting everything else. They said they’ll give us our calendar when we go in later this month.

I love the “I make a great cow” thing!!!

:welcome: Wow, looks like we have a growing group! I’m so happy!

[COLOR=“DarkOrange”]happy2try: My RE is saying Antagonist protocol but we have a consult at the end of March just to be sure that that is the best option. I’m torn between Antagonist and Lupron protocol. I do love my small clinic. I’ve been working with this doctor for a year now and I love her. She’s super sweet and American, which makes everything a million times easier for me and DH. I’m so jealous that you’re going to Florida! The beaches I’ll be going to will be too cold to touch!

[COLOR=“Magenta”]Nat1975: I don’t know yet much about 3 vs 5 day transfer. you’ll have to teach us more about that. I have no idea what my RE usually does so I’ll be looking into that as well.

[COLOR=“DeepSkyBlue”]dance138: Don’t worry, everyone’s very patient here. You have to be to go through infertility treatment! We all have stuff we still need/want to learn about all this. There is just too much out there to read. And I think we can all agree we are excited and scared. I’m sure that’s just normal. Any questions you have please feel free to ask! If we don’t know the answer, we can look it up together!

[COLOR=“Lime”]Claire: I bet our RE’s wish they could ban the internet from their patients before procedures. DH keeps saying to just trust our doctor and it’s not that I don’t, I just want to be well informed and prepared and in the process, sometimes questions pop up right?

:bsv:

3 vs 5 day transfer

So I just read this really long Q&A transcript between a patient and doctor that talked about 3 vs 5 day transfer. Its pretty long but if it’s true, it’s really interesting and eye opening.

Let me know what you think. Here’s the site:

Article: Transcript from 3 Day vs Blastocycst Transfer

CAN I JOIN SEEMS IM BOUNCING ALL OVER THE BOARDS !! i m having a iui next thur feb 11 but the doc doesnt think it’ll work … so he said when af shows up on march 1st im starting my cycle with a project outcome 1. i’ll have er on march 29 or 2.if im on long protcol er april 9…