Baby In Office Alert!

There is a newborn being showed off around my office right now. It would be wrong to steal her, huh? My face just got super flush and I’m getting cold sweats. Please tell me I’m not the only one who reacts like this?

BUT I will go over and see the cute baby and make all the squeely noises and congratulate the happy, new parents.

Ok, done. They literally parked themselves outside my office talking to another co-worker for 10 minutes so I wasn’t even given the chance to bail. The dad (my co-worker) said “Are you going to come see my baby?” and like a freshman being asked to prom by the senior QB, I excitedly said “Yes!” and jumped out of my chair to go see her. Game face: ON.

She was absoutely precious. I had to catch myself because I was staring at her like a hungry man stares at a steak. My husband came in my office and I started to tear up. He reminded me that one day it will be us. I truly believe that. But it still hurts just a little that it’s not us today.

Thanks for listening to me ramble.

Nope…you aren’t the only one!

At the end of July, one of my closest friends called me and told me that she was pregnant and due in December. At the time of her call, my husband and I were heading to his 20th high school class reunion weekend having just been told that we were likely never going to have a baby with my eggs. I made up some lame excuse to get off of the phone (don’t remember what it was) and cried for an hour. It was horrible. I emailed her several days later and told her that I was really happy for her but just needed some time. A few weeks later, I called her. She was pretty hurt…not that I felt the way I did, but because I assumed that she would be insensitive to my issues. We talked it over, and she’s due this month…37 weeks today!

I’m going to be seeing her at the end of the month when I’m in Florida for the holidays. I’m excited for her and her husband…and the baby. But, I worry about how I’ll handle the emotions when I get there. She knows our issues though, so whatever happens won’t ruin our friendship.

I feel like there are pregnancy announcements and babies being thrown into my face everywhere I go. My RE even has this huge tree in his office filled with pink and blue “baby” decorations. I have some serious mixed feelings about it…since I KNOW there are women who go there who may never be mothers (maybe even me). But…maybe it’s to give hope…who knows???

Anyway, hang in there! Sounds like you did well…or you at least faked it well!

Fake it til you make it! :wink:

Dear Geauxbaby, your message teared me up. I swear I’ve had this intense desire to ‘kidnap’ adorable babies when I see them with their mothers in shopping carts at the grocery store. The other day, there was an extremely cute baby smiling and waving at me at the cashier counter, and I was like, it’s obvious that he likes me, why not? Lolz, dont get me wrong - I’d NEVER actually do such a thing; but it certainly is a temptation. I’d never mention such a thing to anyone because they may take my word for it, but I’m glad you expressed a similar desire, making me ‘not the only one’. And it’s also true that I become more vulnerable when my hubby’s around, probably because he knows (or a part of it) how desperately I want children - just so hard to be happy around expentant mothers, and cute babies… and as Lucydr said, they are EVERYWHERE… I always feel like fate is being sarcastic by putting me in the same world that is full of pregnant mothers n babies. What happened to all the men and old people? But as we all know, unfortunately ‘we’ (the ones dealing with IF) are oversensitive to pregnancies and babies, and we selectively see just them. I wish I could be genuinely happy for them w/o feeling unlucky and leftout, but pregnancy/birth news always makes me nauseous… I wish it’d be different…

I usually FLEE when there are babies being shown off in my office. Glad to know I’m not the only one. Sometimes I can take it, sometimes not. It seems like I have a very hard time with newborns. As they get a bit older and they keep coming by the office, it’s a little easier for some reason. I must stare at them like they’re a steak too…that was hillarious.

Not that this is any type of laughing matter but boy did that comment make me literally LOL :clap:

sandy - That’s what’s great about this site. No judgment for any of our [I]sliiiightly[/I] irrational feelings/thoughts/compulsions. As long as no one literally goes and steals a baby…then there might be some judgment, but probably not much. :wink: PS - my name is Sandi too, just spelled funny.

Mel - Newborns are worse for me too. I guess when they get out of the infancy stage, it’s a bit more removed from the pregnancy stage, which is where my struggle is, so in my mind they aren’t as closely related. Does that make sense? If not, just smile and nod. :slight_smile:

mandyrhea - Glad I could bring you a moment of happiness. I’d much prefer laughing through all this mess than crying. Side note: Is your name Mandy Rhea (said Ray)? If so, how have you liked having Rhea as a middle name? My top girl name (yes, my cart passed my horse a loooong time ago) has Rhea for a middle name…maybe Rae, still not sure. I was a little hesitant b/c it’s typically a boy’s name, but it’s such a pretty sounding name. So just curious how you’ve liked it.

[quote=GeauxBaby]
mandyrhea - Glad I could bring you a moment of happiness. I’d much prefer laughing through all this mess than crying. Side note: Is your name Mandy Rhea (said Ray)? If so, how have you liked having Rhea as a middle name? My top girl name (yes, my cart passed my horse a loooong time ago) has Rhea for a middle name…maybe Rae, still not sure. I was a little hesitant b/c it’s typically a boy’s name, but it’s such a pretty sounding name. So just curious how you’ve liked it.[/quote]

My name is actually Amanda Rhea…I’ve always liked it!

Looks like I’ll be joining the December thread…PG B/W test was a :bfn: today. Waiting for AF to arrive and then we’ll start over.

GeauxBaby Are you in Louisiana? Just wondering since we are a ALL about GEAUX around here…LOL~

Yes, ma’am!! I’ll be cheering on those Bayou Bengals on January 9th as they wrap up an undefeated season!! :cheer:

Just to tag along with this conversation, I have the same feelings about flaunted babies. People have no idea what’s going on inside and how much that hurts. When our best friends got pregnant, I couldn’t bear to be around them anymore for a while, because it just hurt to talk about how their lives would change. Finally I was forced to see them and it wasn’t so bad, but I did cry several times about it! It’s not their fault, but it sure does hurt sometimes.

Your post made be lol too…

I actually have to work with newborns all the time. It totally sucks… I’m a portrait photographer so my clients spend a lot of time with me…especially during a newborn session. They can take hours to do. I had one last week where the mom complained about how she hated being pregnant, delivery, midnight feedings, and on an on. I said, “wow! You’re so blessed! I’d love to have your problems, if you don’t want her I’ll take her.” she looked at me funny then laughed nervously.

Most of the time I can put up a brave face. Sometimes I just won’t schedule any newborns…bad for business but a person can only take so much.

As for the stealing comments…I think that allllll the time when I see kids unattended like in parks and malls. Not that I would but it makes me question other people’s parenting skills that they leave their kids alone like that.

I work with babies daily as well. I feel sad about it but usually later on. In that moment I feel very awkward. It’s like I have to coo and ohh/ahh over the baby and it is all very rehearsed and phony on my part since I have to do it constantly. Sometimes I think the mom will pick up on it but she doesn’t seem to. Probably b/c she isn’t thinking anyone would fake that kind of thing. Ahhh the world of infertility…