Bad news today---Some Advice please

I am posting b/c I feel just terrible and hopeless today. I got bad news today.I started IVF #1 stims Nov 25. I am currently in hell b/c I did not respond well at all,there are only 2 decent follicles ( other 3 tiny useless ones).My my RE will actually do the IVF if I want to b/c of my age and am not sure if I will respond to anything else if we try again. I have 3 failed IUI and each time,less response,this IVF being the worst, so we dont know what to do. We pay out of pocket for the IVF’s and the meds and have signed up and paid for two IVF cycles.I have to let them know tmrrw if IVF or convert to IUI. I am devastated. My RE says it is our decision. I did Menopur 225,follistim 300 and ganerelix. Any Advice?Thank you

I’m so sorry that you are going through this. I was in a similar situation last month. I only had four follies and had the same discussion with my RE, go for it or convert to IUI. In the end, we opted to go for it and 3 out of the 4 follies fertilized and were transferred. My RE told me that if we could get one embryo out of the four, that I would have a 25% chance of getting pregnant. I know that you’ve heard this before, but it only takes one. But after the huge financial and emotional investment, I know that this is a really tough decision.

Good luck in whatever decision you make.

Hi Hopefully-- thanks for the reply and support.Can I be forward and ask-- Are you going to do another cycle?and if so,are you going to change the protocol?

sorry

Sorry to hear about your news, but don’t lose hope. When I did my first IVF cycle, I had been on follistim 450 and my RE said it wasn’t looking good after 9 days of being on follistim because I only had 3 follicles and they were all very small. He kept me on for 14 days and I ended up with 5 good size follicles. I went ahead with the IVF and they ended up with 4 eggs. Granted only 2 made it to transfer and the IVF was unsuccessful, but as far as follicles go anything can happen. When are they anticipating your retrieval and how many days would they keep you on follistim? I’m confused why your RE didn’t up your dose of follistim if they weren’t seeing more follicles. Whatever you decide is obviously up to you, but like others have replied, it really does only take 1. I know many people on this site that have only retreived one egg, it fertilized and was transfered and they ended up with a :bfp: . Let us know what you decide and best of luck to you!!

Hi Maybe-- I agree with you about the RE not really doing more–although he did up the Menopur. I just feel so emotionally drained from this whole thing. I mean it is like that for everyone though isn’t it? We went to a diner after the appt and everyone in there had little kids. It was awful. I am worried that I am not going to respond to the meds and therefore can’t do the IVF. Another bigger problem is getting money together for the meds. The anticipated ER would be Thursday, but I am leaning towards IUI… Thanks for the support.

From the information you’ve given about your body’s decreasing respose to stims I would prob go for it IVF that is. Hoewever you have to do what you feel is right for you. I wish you the best of luck and hope you get a BFP

Hi Barren-- thank you for replying. I will go in for another US and BW tmrrw but I dont think the other 3 will catch up. My husband wanted to go for it(IVF), its me that feels scared about it all.

I totally hear what you are saying about being places where everyone has little kids. One of my best friends just found out she is pregnant, it gets very hard to be happy for your friends after everything you have gone through. I also understand about being emotionally drained, I feel the same way, I just want to know if it will ever work for me! If I knew it would eventually, no matter how many times it took, it’d be more reassuring than the unknown. If you convert to IUI, hopefully your RE can figure out different meds or different doses of the meds for next time. My RE said next time he is considering Follistim at a 600 dose rather than the 450 because of the low number of follicles I had last time. Good luck at your U/S tomorrow and hopefully they all grew for you! Let me know how it goes.

Yes, we are going to try again in January. We’re going to try the antagonist protocol this next time. I don’t know yet what my actual dosage of the meds is going to be. In the meantime, I’ve started taking a vitamin cocktail of DHEA, Royal Jelly, etc. to see if that will help with my egg quantity.

I know that it is a tough decision in front of you. We’re lucky to be blessed with insurance that covers the procedures, but we are 100% out of pocket on all of the meds. So, by the time we got to the point of deciding between IVF and IUI, I had already used up the meds, so our decision didn’t impact what we would be out of pocket. My RE is still very positive that we’re going to be successful and I guess that I just have to trust her.

Good luck to you!

I was doing Royal Jelly and bee pollen, CoQ10, prenatals, I did acupuncture, chinese medicine fertility diet,cut out caffeine, eating more organic blah blah blah.I feel like a science project already! I hear wheat grass is good too which I am going to try next. If I don’t do everything humanly possible to get pregnant, I will never be able to move on from this. Thanks for listening girls!

Kat, I sent you a PM. As my signature indicates, I’ve been in your situation (though my FSH, AMH are totally normal).

Best wishes!

I just wanted to let you know that I’ve done 4 IVFs and have always been a terrible responder, but my third IVF which I only got two eggs, which turned into two embryos, gave me my beautiful son. So don’t give up, don’t ever give up. Good luck and God bless:flower:

Thanks Cubby for sharing, It’s really nice to hear a success story!

So Kat how are things going??

Hi Maybesomeday,
Well, after some discussion- we decided to go for the IVF. In fact I did ER yesterday and we got 3 eggs, good sizes anyway-a 22,and 2 two others at 21). The office will be calling today at some point. I am glad we decided to go for it-- whatever the outcome. Doing IUI did not make sense at this point. We KNOW they don’t work for us. So that is where I am. Thanks so much for thinking of me! How are you???

[quote=Kat72]Hi Maybesomeday,
Well, after some discussion- we decided to go for the IVF. In fact I did ER yesterday and we got 3 eggs, good sizes anyway-a 22,and 2 two others at 21). The office will be calling today at some point. I am glad we decided to go for it-- whatever the outcome. Doing IUI did not make sense at this point. We KNOW they don’t work for us. So that is where I am. Thanks so much for thinking of me! How are you???[/quote]

I am so glad you decided to go for it!! Congrats on the 3 eggs, have you heard anything about fertilization or when your ET will be? It’s such an exciting time, and I felt that the wait flew by unlike with IUI. :cross: and praying for a great outcome for you!!! I am going to try round 2 of IVF in January, hopefully we will both have good news to share very soon. Hoping to hear good news from you later today!

Hi Maybe-- I am really going to ask for your prayers. It looks like only 1 is going to make it . The other 2 are abnormal.I don’t even have much info, I barely understood the embryologist, he had a thick chinese accent. GROAN. I have to wait until tmmrw to hear if my one lone embryo makes it. I am not sorry I did the IVF though. I just had to do it. If my embie survives, my ET is Monday. :cross::cross::cross:

I will pray for you like crazy!! Try not to be stressed, and also remember that all it takes is 1!! I know many ladies who have had only 1, and 1 transfered and they got their :bfp: . Hoping that you get good news soon about that embie!!! Let me know.:cross:

possible help

I don’t completely understand the severity of your case. I know that the spectrum is very large with these types of infertility issues, but I experienced a very similar situation and I used an eBook that I found over at Problems Getting Pregnant, some of the information was incredibly obvious, but ultimately it increased my fertility enough to allow me to conceive. just a suggestion.

I’ve been following this thread and :pray: for you!!
Keep us posted!