BCP and FSH / Antral Follicle Count?

I was wondering if there is any connection between taking BCP and higher antral follicle counts? I was first diagnosed with high FSH (28.5), low AMH (0.16) and low AFC (2) about 3 months ago and have been on supplements and acupuncture ever since. My RE had me on BCP for 2-1/2 weeks before I start injectables, I got labs done today, my first day off of BCP, and they were much better! FSH only 8.4 and AFC 10 (5 each)! I am 36, btw. I knew to expect a lower FSH as I was told BCP suppresses it, but I was really excited about the higher AFC. When I mentioned my #s to my acupuncturist, she did not seem all that impressed, saying that the higher AFC was artificial as it’s due to FSH artificially reduced by BCP. What a bummer :frowning: However, I googled and could not find anything saying that BCP promotes higher AFC. Thoughts? I was feeling really encouraged by the results and looking forward to starting injectables (as much as one can about needles :p), but now I’m feeling a little deflated…

That would be bummer. But I think your acupuncturist has it wrong. Suppressing FSH would’t increase your AFC. It does keep your follicles very small though.

For what its worth…

I started taking BCP’s last month to prep for a cycle. When I went in for an ultrasound on CD18, I had 19 antral follicles. My RE was impressed, saying that to have that many while ON the BCP was excellent. Previously my number was 14-15.

When I told my acupuncturist about this result, she agreed that it was an excellent # on BCP’s. And then basically said…see, this is a result of all the acupuncture and the bazillon supplements you have been taking, so who knows how many more follicles you would have had if you were not on BCP’s!

So, I think you should be encouraged and excited. :grouphug:

[QUOTE=Hopeful_in_CA]That would be bummer. But I think your acupuncturist has it wrong. Suppressing FSH would’t increase your AFC. It does keep your follicles very small though.

For what its worth…

I started taking BCP’s last month to prep for a cycle. When I went in for an ultrasound on CD18, I had 19 antral follicles. My RE was impressed, saying that to have that many while ON the BCP was excellent. Previously my number was 14-15.

When I told my acupuncturist about this result, she agreed that it was an excellent # on BCP’s. And then basically said…see, this is a result of all the acupuncture and the bazillon supplements you have been taking, so who knows how many more follicles you would have had if you were not on BCP’s!

So, I think you should be encouraged and excited. :grouphug:[/QUOTE]
Hopeful in CA, thank you for the encouragement. It is ironic that your RE and acupuncturist seem to imply that BCP suppresses the # of antral follicles while my acupuncturist is telling me the opposite! Maybe what my acu is saying is true for women who have elevated levels of FSH. I’m guessing that you don’t have high FSH? In any case, I’m trying to stay positive (as my name says ;)). I really have to be as I’m starting my first cycle ever tomorrow! :cross:

My dr says that bc helps all the follicles grow at the same pace. I used the bc once and had more eggs that in trials where I didn’t use it.