bed rest after transfer?

Hi all, I just realized that I am set for a 5 day transfer on Friday, and have tickets for a concert w/ friends on Saturday evening. Is this a bad idea?? I will definitely rest Friday and most of Saturday until it’s time to get ready. But my concern is that I might be standing for a lot of the concert. I don’t mind not going but that means informing friends of what is happening!! Ugh. Thoughts??

I’m sure you will get different answers. But my doc was very strick. First day bed, second day couch.
There’s plenty of people who get up the next day. So the question is what you feel comfortable doing. What does your RE suggest

If you decide not to go, just say you got food poisoning or something. A bad cold, allergic reation. As long as they don’t come knocking on your door to check on you. Lol. Or you could say you hurt your back, and if they do check on you, you’re on bedrest anyway.

My RE didn’t mention bed rest at all. I still stayed in bed on the day of the transfer. Yet, I am at work the next day. I don’t understand how can bedrest make you save/lose the pregnancy. If ppl needed few days of bedrest after sex then noone would ever get pregnant:)
It’s your decision, but I wouldn’t worry if I were you and enjoy the concert

[QUOTE=timetotest]Hi all, I just realized that I am set for a 5 day transfer on Friday, and have tickets for a concert w/ friends on Saturday evening. Is this a bad idea?? I will definitely rest Friday and most of Saturday until it’s time to get ready. But my concern is that I might be standing for a lot of the concert. I don’t mind not going but that means informing friends of what is happening!! Ugh. Thoughts??[/QUOTE]

I would cancel it or sell your tix or give them to someone. Sorry :frowning: I was with my RE for my last IVF which was successful. I would ask your RE what they think.

My RE wants us on bedrest the whole day of transfer, the whole next day and night. So - 48 full hours.

He wants us laying, doing nothing but bathroom trips and with our head at a 45degree angle or less. So no sitting in bed. Just laying.

[QUOTE=Logan]I’m sure you will get different answers. But my doc was very strick. First day bed, second day couch.
There’s plenty of people who get up the next day. So the question is what you feel comfortable doing. What does your RE suggest[/QUOTE]Thanks Logan. I’m sure every doc is different- I haven’t had a chance to ask my doc but am just trying to plan ahead and give my friends as much warning as possible. I vaguely remember asking the nurse after my retrieval and she said that’s completely fine to go to work (that’s when I thought it would be a 3 day xfer) - but it’s whatever I felt comfortable with… would I second guess myself if it didn’t work. Ugh, I know I would! I guess I could just make a point to sit the entire time…we do have seats!

[QUOTE=timetotest]Thanks Logan. I’m sure every doc is different- I haven’t had a chance to ask my doc but am just trying to plan ahead and give my friends as much warning as possible. I vaguely remember asking the nurse after my retrieval and she said that’s completely fine to go to work (that’s when I thought it would be a 3 day xfer) - but it’s whatever I felt comfortable with… would I second guess myself if it didn’t work. Ugh, I know I would! I guess I could just make a point to sit the entire time…we do have seats![/QUOTE]

That’s another good point - would you second guess your decision if it didn’t work? Or would you be OK with your decision?

I’d say if you think it’s going to eat you up inside…don’t go. If you’ll be OK with whatever the outcome may be then go.

Haha [B]Gigi [/B]- good ideas for excuses!! :slight_smile:

Thanks girls… I will talk to my doctor tomorrow and see what his usual opinion is. I don’t want to jeapordize anything…but I do tend to agree [B]delusion![/B]

My RE only said 24 hours of bedrest. However he also told me to take the path of least regret. For me that was sitting on the couch for the entire weekend, and sitting as much as possible during the 2ww. Now do I think that is the reason I got pregnant, no, but if things had gone the other way I would know that I had nothing to look back on and think what if.

My RE wanted me to take it easy but not just laying in bed. They wanted to keep your blood circulating to help implantation so they said I could resume light activity. I would think you would be okay as long as you were very aware of what you’re doing ie no jumping. Having said that, I too would second guess my decision if it didn’t work even though going to the concert may have had on impact on the outcome at all.

I wasn’t told to do any bed rest at all during all 3 of my IVF’s and I became pregnant all 3 times ( although 1 ended up being a chemical). I had to lay flat for about 20 minutes after ET and then I could resume normal activities the next day. They told me to take it easy the day of transfer and not do anything strenuous but other than that, no restrictions

I did three days of strict bedrest and two more days off work, by choice. I got a bfp before going back to work after my transfer. :slight_smile:

It’s always interesting to see the differences between REs. Mine was no bedrest or anything. I took it easy the day of the ET (but still went out to lunch after, just hung around the couch for most of the day). I was back to work and all my usual activities the next day. I will admit I don’t understand the reasoning behind bedrest BUT if you think you might regret going if you end up with a BFN I wouldn’t risk it.

Good luck!

I also couldn’t understand the point of the bedrest, especially for a 3-day transfer since implantation won’t even occur in the bedrest timeframe. My doctor said it’s to give the endometrium time to heal after the insult of the catheter so it’s nice & welcoming for implantation.

I don’t know if I buy that, but it makes a little more sense than the some misconception that moving around is impeding implantation.

My clinic told me to rest on the day of transfer, but no restrictions or bedrest. I was teaching a full schedule the following day. I did try to sit as much as possible those following few days, and didn’t dance with my students or do my regular jumping exercises. But, I basically resumed normal activities and got my BFP with great betas.

I agree with the ladies that say to follow your heart. If you get a BFN and will blame it on the concert, don’t go. But I’m guessing you are probably fine. Can you tell your friends you had a medical procedure and are supposed to sit as much as possible? That way you won’t feel so weird about sitting and will feel like you are still taking it easy. Just a thought. Have fun!!

Honestly, follow your heart…we can tell you stay in bed or go to the concert. The Drs can also tell you stay in bed or continue your normal activities!

All my transfers I used to stay 3-5 days on bed rest. On my last one I was so upset I had to get on the plane for 9 hrs for a business trip. On that trip I did everything against my transfered! Wore 6 inch heels, was on my feet etc. Guess what? That cycle worked and I got pregnant with my twin boys…

If I didn’t get the bfp for sure I would of blamed myself for going on that trip. My best advice is do whatever you feel comfortable with. If you think going to a concert will take your mind away go, if not stay home.

Follow your heart…remember, embryos don’t follow out!! After my bfp I was afraid to even go bathroom because I thought they would come out!! If they don’t “stick” isn’t because anything you did wrong.

Alexis.

RE differences

Again, it is so interesting to me that the standard protocol of clinics can be so different! 3 days bed rest, no bed rest at all? Lots of variety out there!

Our RE is a no bedrest guy. He wants me to more or less resume normal activities immediately, with the restrictions of no heavy lifting or super strenuous activity. His belief is that truly strict bedrest can actually be dangerous and could contribute to the formation of blood clots (in extreme cases only, I’m sure).

I agree with the other ladies on the board, though, do what YOU feel most comfortable with! No regrets!! :slight_smile: