Best doctors for varicocele repair?

I’m looking into the possibility of embolization or microsurgical microiguinal for varicocele repair for DH. Does anyone know who the leading US experts are for this type of procedure?

If anyone has thoughts regarding surgery versus embolization or microsurgical microiguinal or any other treatment option, I’d be very interested in that as well…

DH and I have met with a surgeon, and now I’m trying to get the other perspectives. I’d also be interested on who the leading surgeons are in this field in case we need another opinion.

My DH just had the repair in September. Make sure you are seeing a urologist who specializes in infertility. DH’s urologist is at the University of Iowa and specializes in infertility and he recommended doing the microsurgical approach as opposed to the embolization because it has a lower rate of reoccurance. The last thing we want is for the varicocele to come back, so we went with the microsurgical approach. The recovery wasn’t too bad for DH. He was sore, but after a couple weeks of ice packs and ibuprofen he was fine :slight_smile:

After the surgery

Hi,
It takes at least 3 months to see results after the surgery. To get the best results, it is recommended to take some food supplements. It has to include Vitamin A, C, E, Zinc, Selenium and others.
My DH took Vitamale (bought it in naturules.com).

Good luck,
Sara

thanks!

thank you both…

[quote=jan_000]I’m looking into the possibility of embolization or microsurgical microiguinal for varicocele repair for DH. Does anyone know who the leading US experts are for this type of procedure?

If anyone has thoughts regarding surgery versus embolization or microsurgical microiguinal or any other treatment option, I’d be very interested in that as well…

DH and I have met with a surgeon, and now I’m trying to get the other perspectives. I’d also be interested on who the leading surgeons are in this field in case we need another opinion.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Jan - My DH had the embolization procedure done in mid September. We decided to go this route because it was non-invasive. We own our own company and it is very difficult for DH to get time off. His work also includes physical activity. The urologist at first recommended surgery since it is guaranteed that you can reach both sides, where with embolization there is a chance that might not happen. When we told him we would not be able to do the surgery until our slow season (Jan/Feb) he thought we should go for the embolization in the mean time. Recovery time is nothing and it is an in and out procedure. Worst case scenario if they did not get both sides we could do the surgery in the winter. [/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Everything turned out great with the embolization. When they started the procedure they discovered that the problem was worse than they thought. They were able to get both the right and the left side and block off all veins affected. My DH had to take only one day off work and suffered from mild back pain. We have seen a drastic physical change so are reassured that the procedure was successful.[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I am in Canada so can not recommend someone to do the procedure. Being in Canada I do feel I have a bit of an advantage in getting the true facts on both procedures. Since they are both covered by OHIP doctors are not competing to get people’s business. Feel free to PM me is you have any questions.[/FONT]

We used Doctor P.N. Schlegel at Weil Cornell Medical in NYC…amazing doctor and facility, though we did not have a positive outcome in the end as far as my husband’s fertility, I would still strongly recommend him. He is the best of the best. I wish you the best!!!

As regards to infertility, male factor male infertility represent approximately 40% of women and related factors also contribute to 40%.

update on successful embolization - and natural pregnancy after

Thanks y’all. My husband ended up going the embolization route, largely because of the quicker recovery time. After quite a bit of reading and conversations with dr schlegal’s nurse among others, I decided that one of the most important factors in choosing a doctor for this was finding one that has done a lot of embolizations specifically for varicocele. The reason: the amount of radiation exposure depends on how long it takes the doctor to find and place the structure into the vein. Also, the technology of the clinic is important because new technology allows more focused use of radiation, so you hopefully are minimizing the exposure to the male parts important for making sperm for your future children.

Anyhow, the surgery went well, we think. He was at work the next day with just a tiny incision in his neck that left no scar.

Three months later I got pregnant. Sadly it was ectopic, and it is likely I’m going to lose the function of my right tube from the scarring.

We haven’t had his sperm count checked, so I don’t know affirmatively whether this was a fluke pregnancy, or whether his sperm count has rebounded. I wanted to share in hopes that it’ll be helpful to someone else out there…

despite having the perception of a relatively easy surgery and easy recovery, i have heard of stories where the patient was still in pain and took a long time to fully recover, not sure what to think guess it depends on the person

It depends on a lot of things. I just had a left side varicocele embolization procedure done 6 weeks ago. I had 14 titanium coils put into my left spermatic vein to stop the blood from backflowing when I became vertical. I asked the doc to NOT do anything if he seen anything out of the ordinary down there when he injected the die under imaging. I reported more pain in my left upper leg/siatic nerve and in the varicocele afterwards. It was then that he told me that he had never seen images like he seen with me. When he injected the die and I beared down it backflowed all the way down and through the varico and kept flowing all the way back up through the spermatic cord. I wish he would have left me alone that day as I have more pain in my hip/leg now and I got about zero releif out of the proccedure. To be completely honest here… It made me worse for certian. I wish I had found the best surgon in the country and NOT choosen embolization. To the best of my knowledge embolization cannot be done to the far side of these veins. Now I am half fixed in a sense and have painfull side effects from it. My worst pains used to be from standing in one spot for to long. NOW it is when I sit in my truck and off and on all day long… even in bed. These guy’sdon’t know everything about this. I was already told by my IVR that I am probably a case of when NOT to procede. Other thoughts… My sperm count is over 100 million motile. My left effected side is a bit smaller, but not shrunken dramatically. At this point I have no clue what I am going to do and am just weighing my options. I am pretty certian I know what they are IF I should decide to do something about it. What if another procedure makes me even worse? All of my problems started with a vasectomy less than 2 years ago. I had a reversal that failed here in Florida, and another at ICVR that took with no problems. What a nightmare all of this is.