Best IVF RE for blocked tubes

Dear All,

Please let me know where should I go for my IVF. Do you know who is the best RE in houston that can take care of my IVF?

Thanks.

I am from Houston and absolutely love my RE! His name is Dr. Gill, he is the main RE at the Houston Fertility Institute. All of the RE’s there are great. They have good stats as well. What part of Houston are you in??? They have a few different offices.

[quote=Inspiredmom2b]Dear All,

Please let me know where should I go for my IVF. Do you know who is the best RE in houston that can take care of my IVF?

Thanks.[/quote]

I go to Dr Sims and Dr Schnell at CORM… I loved my experience there and would go again.

Dr. Schnell was my previous RE but I was not satisfied with the service I receive. I am not going back to CORM ever.

I’ve heard Dr. Gill is really good. I am planning to see Dr. Timothy Hickman at Houston IVF…I am from League City BTW.

[quote=Inspiredmom2b]Dr. Schnell was my previous RE but I was not satisfied with the service I receive. I am not going back to CORM ever.

I’ve heard Dr. Gill is really good. I am planning to see Dr. Timothy Hickman at Houston IVF…I am from League City BTW.[/quote]

I see Dr Sims more than Dr Schnell. Good luck to you at Houston IVF. I heard good things about both places, actually.

Thanks. I am so happy for you. You will be a mom soon!!! God Bless.

Can you please share if he specialize on helping women with blocked tubes. That would really help me. I am from League City.

I don’t have any recommendations for REs in your area. I just wanted to say that I can’t imagine one RE is better than another for dealing with blocked tubes as a cause of infertility. When I was diagnosed with blocked tubes, I did a lot of research and consulted with several REs. Everyone agreed that if you have hydrosalpinges (what you get when your tubes are fully blocked) you need to have your tubes removed to have the best chance of success with IVF.

Seriously? I thought that they will bypass the process during IVF and not use the tubes at all. Please explain that situation more clearly. Thanks.

[quote=Inspiredmom2b]Seriously? I thought that they will bypass the process during IVF and not use the tubes at all. Please explain that situation more clearly. Thanks.[/quote]Yes, IVF bypasses the tubes. But the hydrosalpinges are where the tubes are full of fluid, which normally would escape at the end of the tube. Some of this fluid flows back into the uterus and interferes with the implantation of the embryo. The studies show that there is a significantly higher success rate with the damaged tubes removed. Any RE familiar with the research should recommend removal of the tubes.

I know it’s a bit of a shock to have your tubes removed when you are trying to conceive, but if they are damaged, they aren’t doing you any good anyway. Unfortunately, they can’t be repaired.

Have you already had a laparoscopy done? If so, it’s a shame that they didn’t remove them while they were doing surgery. If not, you are going to need to have one done. A laparoscopy is the only way to definitively diagnose blocked tubes, and is how you have the tubes removed as well.

I agree with Laurucha. I was also diagnosed with blocked tubes, and my RE told me that removing them can increase your chances of success by 30-40% as opposed to keeping them in. I also got second and third opinions, all were the same. I have heard of some women just clipping them instead of removing them, which also prevents the fluid from leaking out and harming the baby. I opted to get them removed since I knew I had to go the IVF route if I wanted a baby and keeping them could hurt my chances of success.

I had lap surgery done and it was an easy, simple surgery. I had bloating and shoulder pain, but it was really nothing compared to the OHSS I just developed after my embryo transfer.

I’m from the Houston area, too (baytown actually). My tubes were also the problem and both were removed on Dec 1 of last year for the same reasons mentioned above. I use Dr Robert McWilliams and absolutely love him and his entire staff! It’s very personalized. We were successful on our first try, but unfortunately I miscarried. When they found out, the ladies in the office were so supportive, and we even shared tears. I won’t consider going anywhere else! We are gearing up for FET in December. Good luck and feel free to message me if you have any questions!

How do you afford IVF? It is so expensive…i am almost about to give up…this is crazy world…
How much do you spend on this thing? I am so down…

Blocked Tube

[QUOTE=Inspiredmom2b]Dear All,

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Hi!

I actually had a little blockage in the opening of one of my tubes prior to my treatment. I went on to stimulate VERY well. My RE and his staff are is great, but I live in the Austin area. If you’re still looking, let me know. I’ll gather his contact info for you.

I’m sorry, I just saw this question. I guess the thread moved along before I had a chance to see it! My parents are in League City!! We are in Huntsville at the moment. I don’t know if Dr. Gill specializes in people with blocked tubes, but I do know that they stats are good pretty much all around.

What I don’t understand is why you need someone who specializes in blocked tubes??? If you are doing IVF the tubes should not even be an issue.

[quote=5heartbeats]Hi!

I actually had a little blockage in the opening of one of my tubes prior to my treatment. I went on to stimulate VERY well. My RE and his staff are is great, but I live in the Austin area. If you’re still looking, let me know. I’ll gather his contact info for you.[/quote]I just want to make clear that when I was talking about removing the tubes, I was talking about cases in which the woman has hydrosalpinges. A hydrosalpinx develops when there is a blockage at the far end of the tube (i.e., the end near the ovary). If you have a blockage closer to the uterus, it’s a whole different thing.