Best way to inject Gonal-f, any suggestion

Hi ladies, I have couple of questions regarding injectibles; I am taking Gonal-f, started 2 days ago, it did not hurt the first time. Yesterday, it burned a lot. I just wanted to see if any suggestion any of you have. Both days, I did take it out of refrigerator, 10-12 minutes before injecting, used alcohol swab on my stomach and let it dry by air before injecting. But injecting it just burned a lot.
Other question I have is, how do you know all the dose is injected for Gonal-f. First time, I dialed the number I was supposed to take and pulled the back then after having needle in I pushed, it stopped so, I took out. Yesterday after it stopped I pushed again just to make sure and it seems it started again, it could be just I felt it did start again and that is when it was really hurting. It was burning and my hand moved so, needle came out. I know it is kind of stupid to ask these question, but I just dont know what to do. I would check with my re, but that wont be till Monday. Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Farah

I’ve only done follistim, but some days it would burn a bit and the next it wouldn’t. The question about making sure it all goes in. I’ve just been told to push the dial and after it’s done hold it there for 5-10 seconds to make sure it all comes out.

[QUOTE=missingmy#2]I’ve only done follistim, but some days it would burn a bit and the next it wouldn’t. The question about making sure it all goes in. I’ve just been told to push the dial and after it’s done hold it there for 5-10 seconds to make sure it all comes out.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I did not know about holding it there for 5-10 seconds, I would make sure I do that.

Thank you so much for answering!
Farah

to[QUOTE=far2011]Thank you! I did not know about holding it there for 5-10 seconds, I would make sure I do that.

Thank you so much for answering!
Farah[/QUOTE]
Also try to give th e injection in your lower tummy area. I did two cycles of gonal f injections in my thigh an d it was painful everynight. I never looked forward to taking it. I also would ice the area where Iwas going to inject myself until it was feeling numb. The ice really did help me and the tummy shots were easier for me. Good luck and :babydust: to you!

Hi Farah, I just want to say you are my HERO for doing your injections yourself. Seriously, you are awesome!

Now regarding your question, I’ve only used Follistim, but I think it’s the same. Personally I use the thigh area, the stomach is too sensitive. Some days, the “pinching” felt stronger and almost every time there was a little bit of blood, but I was told that’s normal. My husband did all the injections (but one), and he counted to 7 before removing the needle to be sure that all the product was transferred.

After the injection, apply pressure for a couple of minutes, then treat yourself to a good book :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=kalika]to
Also try to give th e injection in your lower tummy area. I did two cycles of gonal f injections in my thigh an d it was painful everynight. I never looked forward to taking it. I also would ice the area where Iwas going to inject myself until it was feeling numb. The ice really did help me and the tummy shots were easier for me. Good luck and :babydust: to you![/QUOTE]

Thank you Kalika!

Congratulations on your pregnancy and wish you h & h pregnancy, delivery and a very healthy baby!!

Farah

I do it on the fat on my arms and it does not hurt at all. Well it stings for a sec and that is it. That doc where my doc said we could do it too.

[QUOTE=HopefulinNY]Hi Farah, I just want to say you are my HERO for doing your injections yourself. Seriously, you are awesome!

Now regarding your question, I’ve only used Follistim, but I think it’s the same. Personally I use the thigh area, the stomach is too sensitive. Some days, the “pinching” felt stronger and almost every time there was a little bit of blood, but I was told that’s normal. My husband did all the injections (but one), and he counted to 7 before removing the needle to be sure that all the product was transferred.

After the injection, apply pressure for a couple of minutes, then treat yourself to a good book :)[/QUOTE]

Thank you Hopeful! That sounds great!
Abdomen is more easy to approach for me with recent weight gain;))) I do get little blood every time too. I think when I give myself and it stings, I was not keeping it pressed which can effect the dose. I would keep you posted how it goes tonight with all of you ladies’ tips!

thanks Rach!

Farah

Another question about injectable; These are kept in the refrigerator, how long ago before the shot, I should be taking them out of fridge, I usually do around 10-15 minutes.

Thanks,
Farah

I never waited. When it was time i would get it out and inject.

[QUOTE=missingmy#2]I never waited. When it was time i would get it out and inject.[/QUOTE]

Ok. Thanks!

Farah

[QUOTE=far2011]Ok. Thanks!

Farah[/QUOTE]

The colder it is, the more it tends to sting. Take it out while you are prepping your skin…It won’t be room temperature, but it won’t be refrigerator cold either. That should help.

Personally, I found it easier to alternate sides of the stomach when doing the injections each night (I did IVF with 3 injections a night that were subQ), and that helped a bit. Try to avoid the areas that you used the previous night. Pinching the skin tends to numb it a bit as well.

Like one of the other ladies said, you can ice it for a bit, but make sure to swab your tummy (and fan it to make sure it’s completely dry!), before you proceed. Sometimes the alcohol can cause it to sting too…

Ultimately, you have to find what you’re comfortable with, along with what your RE’s office protocol is. I know a lot of the ladies have done other areas (ie…arm, thigh, etc…), but my office ONLY wanted the stomach area.

If the tummy is your chosen location, try to stay in the outer area…Too close to your navel can be a bit dangerous. My IVF coordinator instructed to place your finger tip near your navel. The area where your outer knuckle reaches is the best place to go…

Good luck!

Thank you Kopacheno!
My re wants me to do on thigh ot stomach, I am personally more comfortable with stomach because when I am anxious I do not want to sit and with my big tummy, lol, it is little hard to position for thigh. I do switch sides, but I think I might be too close to navel, so, got to be careful next time!

Thank you ladies!
You gals rock:))))

Farah

[quote=far2011]Another question about injectable; These are kept in the refrigerator, how long ago before the shot, I should be taking them out of fridge, I usually do around 10-15 minutes.

Thanks,
Farah[/quote]

When I did the follistim pen, I would take it out 20 to 30 min before. Definitely didn’t want to inject cold. Only on a few occassions do I recall it stinging/burning.

[QUOTE=agr72]When I did the follistim pen, I would take it out 20 to 30 min before. Definitely didn’t want to inject cold. Only on a few occassions do I recall it stinging/burning.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Allison! Gl for your NT scan. :cross: for h & h pregnancy.

Another thing you want to make sure of is that you hold down the button on the top until the pen stops clicking. It clicks once for every 37.5 units of Gonal F injected, so twice if you are on 75 units. The clicks are a bit spaced, so you may think it’s done and stop pushing the top when you still have more clicks to go. I accidentally did that the first time I used Gonal F.

[QUOTE=aeason11]Another thing you want to make sure of is that you hold down the button on the top until the pen stops clicking. It clicks once for every 37.5 units of Gonal F injected, so twice if you are on 75 units. The clicks are a bit spaced, so you may think it’s done and stop pushing the top when you still have more clicks to go. I accidentally did that the first time I used Gonal F.[/QUOTE]

I exactly did that first day too and instead of 150, ended up with 37.5. hehe. You are so right about it.

Thanks to all of you great ladies; last 2 days been excellent!!!

Farah

So how did your injection go? Any better???

:babydust: :babydust: :babydust: :babydust: :babydust:

[QUOTE=kappocheno]So how did your injection go? Any better???

:babydust: :babydust: :babydust: :babydust: :babydust:[/QUOTE]

Much better. I eventually have been injecting right dose (fist 2 I gave myself less than I was supposed to). lol. And I had no pain whatsoever! I o take it out of the refrigerator 20 minutes or so before I use.

Thanks for asking!

:cross: for your U/S. :bsv: Hope you hear very strong hb…

Farah

I found this web video;

Freedom MedTEACH

Farah