Birth Control While TTC?

Hi,

My husband and I are TTC with the help of a new RE. I am having my first cycle in 6 months due to PCOS. I had my labs and ultrasound done today (CD 4). I was told that I will be called with the lab results in 3 or 4 days, and then we’ll go from there according to the results. My doc put me on birth control until we get the results back. Apparently this is supposed to keep my my hormone levels stable until then. Have any of you done this before? With my last RE, I thought I got the results back more quickly, and we already had a plan to start the fertility treatments on a certain day. I guess I’m just not feeling as prepared/informed this time around. Would it make a difference that I’m probably going to use injectables this cycle (instead of Clomid for previous cycles)? And if you could help me understand the whole birth control thing, it would be great. I’m sure my doc knows what he’s doing, but it seems a bit counter productive to me. My husband joked that maybe our doctor had just decided he didn’t like us! Lol! Well anyway, thanks in advance!

I know that this is a month late, but id thought id answer you anyway. I’m going to assume that you are doing an iui, & I apologies if that is wrong.

For me, my RE didn’t put me on BCP for any IUIs. I just had to phone them on day 1, & start meds (femara or injectables) on day 2. It wasn’t until I got to needing ivf that I was put on BCP, and I think mainly because I came straight from a medication cycle, so they wanted a chance to calm the hormones down.

In your case, it might be that, it might also be that it’s too late, once Dr gets the results to start you this cycle, & that BCP will control things abit more.

Birth control pills before IUI or IVF allow the doctor to “schedule” your ovulation and better control the timing of your procedure. This contributes to the success of IUI/IVF by making sure that follicles are not released prematurely. This is particularly important for women with diminished egg reserves or PCOS, where the higher levels of the luteinizing hormone (LH) can damage the eggs.