Blastocyst confusion

Hi all, my wife and I are Going through IVF. Thy did the egg retrieval on Thursday and we were told on Friday how many fertilized. Our doctor said they would grow them for 5 days and freeze them then do the transfer on a later date. The confusion is we were told 5 days and we read blastocyst is 5-6 days but he’s telling us day 5 would be Friday. According to our calculation, that’s 8 days. Are we missing something?

If retrieval was friday, day 1 is saturday, 2 is sunday, 3 is monday, 4 tuesday and 5 wednesday. Embryos should make blast by day 5 (6 at the latest).

All correct, except he said retrieval was on Thursday, moving it ahead one day. Day 5 is Tuesday. Day 6 is Wednesday.

Friday is Day 8. I’ve never heard of freezing or transferring on day 8. So there is confusion somewhere.

oops! thanks Ghost!

I wonder if your doctor just mis-spoke? I would call and have them clarify and if they still say Friday ask how that is possible. Some times they have so many patients that they get them confused and say the wrong things.

It turns out that he made an error calculating. We had one frozen yesterday and today we had another frozen. 6 ended up being discarded. We’re both upset that only 2 of the 8 going through blastocyst and cryopreservation survived. Have you guys gone through these? Right now were worried about the survival during the thawing process.

I have had a total of 9 embryos thawed and 8 of them survived. Sorry about the 6 you lost, but keep in mind that if they didn’t make it to blast, they wouldn’t have made babies. :cross:

[QUOTE=IVFKen]It turns out that he made an error calculating. We had one frozen yesterday and today we had another frozen. 6 ended up being discarded. We’re both upset that only 2 of the 8 going through blastocyst and cryopreservation survived. Have you guys gone through these? Right now were worried about the survival during the thawing process.[/QUOTE]

I had 5 retrieved, one was empty, and only had two make it to blast. Both made it through thawing, although I have never heard of any one at my clinic not have a blast make it through the thaw. I got pregnant on my second FET. Just remember, these two are the strongest of the bunch. Definitely do not loose hope. You all still have a good chance of success.

[QUOTE=IVFKen]It turns out that he made an error calculating. We had one frozen yesterday and today we had another frozen. 6 ended up being discarded. We’re both upset that only 2 of the 8 going through blastocyst and cryopreservation survived. Have you guys gone through these? Right now were worried about the survival during the thawing process.[/QUOTE]

Are you saying that you had 8 eggs fertilize and 2 make it to the blastocyst stage with the other 6 arresting? If that’s the case, then 2 blastocysts from 8 eggs isn’t too bad, but that depends on your wife’s age and egg quality. If they prescribed this “plan of attack” in which they opted out of a fresh cycle with fresh embryos, then they probably have a pretty talented cryopreservation team that uses some of the more advanced “vitrification” techniques. The more modern labs, in this regard, can have around a 95 percent success rate. So you may not need to worry too much. The fact that you even got 5-6 day blastocysts to freeze is an indication that they are robust.

I haven’t done any frozen cycles, but I understand the frustration about watching all your embies be discarded. We had 10 follicles and all fertilized. We selected ONE to transfer, but the other nine were all discarded because they didn’t meet freezing criteria. That doesn’t mean they wouldn’t have been good to transfer, but some clinics have extremely rigid standards and they will ONLY freeze the ones that they are sure will make it. Looking at your numbers, this sounds likely…they froze the very best ones and their odds of thawing well should be pretty high. Best wishes!!