Blighted Ovum - How long before you miscarry

Hi everyone,

I have been diagnosed with a blighted ovum earlier this week. The u/s showed an empty gestational sac, and my hcg levels were far from doubling . I am 6 weeks 3 days today.

I am still waiting for a call back for the next steps to be taken. I would have prefered to miscarry naturally, however as of right now I have no symptoms/signs that it will happen anytime soon. No cramps, no spotting nothing.

Since the holidays are approaching, I am scared that it will happen while I am out of town. Therefore I am thinking about what my other options are.

If any of you have ever had a blighted ovum, how long did it take before the miscarriage? and was there any sign/symptoms before it happened?

I had a blighted ovum, and it really never showed signs of leaving. After waiting 3 weeks I gave up and had a d&c. All of my other miscarriages happened within a week of bad news, so I am not sure I am alot of help. The D&c was kinda nice, you wake up and its all over. Not that any of this is a nice thing to experience, but the alternative was really awful. My first m/c was very painful, and the Blighted O was my second so I was happy not to go through it again. But, subsequest M/cs have been alot less painful. A sad thing to get to know for sure.

Sorry for your loss… you will know what is right when you weigh the options. If you will be with understanding people during the holidays, maybe waiting won’t be such a bad thing… otherwise having it scheduled and over with might save some of your sanity. Its hard to wait.

[QUOTE=jencat]I had a blighted ovum, and it really never showed signs of leaving. After waiting 3 weeks I gave up and had a d&c. All of my other miscarriages happened within a week of bad news, so I am not sure I am alot of help. The D&c was kinda nice, you wake up and its all over. Not that any of this is a nice thing to experience, but the alternative was really awful. My first m/c was very painful, and the Blighted O was my second so I was happy not to go through it again. But, subsequest M/cs have been alot less painful. A sad thing to get to know for sure.

Sorry for your loss… you will know what is right when you weigh the options. If you will be with understanding people during the holidays, maybe waiting won’t be such a bad thing… otherwise having it scheduled and over with might save some of your sanity. Its hard to wait.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for your reply. I have been on the roller coaster of the hcg levels not rising enough for almost 2 weeks. So I’ve kind of been waiting for this for 2 weeks and nothing is happening. ( although the u/s confirmed it last monday ) I will see my doctor on monday and make a decision then. The hospital nurse told me they could see me on tuesday for a d & c. I guess that being able to move on after a d & c is maybe better than waiting weeks and nothing happening.

Hi Frederica,

I’m sorry for your loss. I was diagnosed with a blighted ovum last year, the doctor told me on April 26th and I chose to had the miscarriage naturally, it happened on May 22nd, almost a month after. It wasn’t bad, had contractions for 2 hours and it was done. I chose not to have a D&C done since I was still hoping the doctor had made a mistake.

If you have any specific questions, you can contact me at [email protected].

Take care.
Lisa

[QUOTE=lisarincon]Hi Frederica,

I’m sorry for your loss. I was diagnosed with a blighted ovum last year, the doctor told me on April 26th and I chose to had the miscarriage naturally, it happened on May 22nd, almost a month after. It wasn’t bad, had contractions for 2 hours and it was done. I chose not to have a D&C done since I was still hoping the doctor had made a mistake.

If you have any specific questions, you can contact me at [email protected].

Take care.
Lisa[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your response. Almost a month. It is a long time. I’m sorry you had to go through that. As of right now I have no symptoms at all, so I guess it isn’t so bad. Only my bbs are still sore ( I guess it’s because my hcg keeps going up) .

I would wait for it to happen naturally, I’m just scared that it will happen during the holidays. I will speak to my Re tomorrow.

I’m glad to see you got a :bfp: again! congrats. !!!