Breast feeding and clomid


#1

girls i’m left with decission i just cant make. i was going to start trying for my 2nd child. i had a plan. cole is 9 month old and still breast feeding. i wanted to BF till 2 years. but i also wanted to go back to work pergnant. so with 3 months left on my maternity leave we went to the clinic to get started again. we have to do iui with doner sperm. for cole, i did one cycle iui natural. and got pregnat on my 2nd cycle iui wityh clomid. 4 us once we decided to use a doner attaining pregnacy was fast. so we bought enough sperm for 3 cycles since it only took 2 cycle with cole. but now that i’m BFing the dr. says i cant take clomid. he doesn’t even recomend proceeding with fertility treatment naturally untill i wean the BFing. some thing about uterus contracting when bf and lineing tining making it harder to attain pregnacy. and since we only have 3 tries with the same doner left and want the next child genetical matched. if we had unlimited spem i wouldn’t mind trying nutral and bfing. but i feel i would rather just start with clomid since that is the cycle that worked for us. i dont want to get down to the 3rd try and have that pressure on me nor do i want to get down to the 3rd try and have to switch to ivf cuz that will streach the spem. finacially it doesn’t make sense to do ivf when it is not medically nessassary. but the thought of not bfing cole has me in tears. i feel i have to chose between cole and getting pregnant again. i know i can just post pone the 2nd child till i’m ready to wean. but we all know how long a journey our infertility is. i feel i’ve postponed long enough.

has anyone bf while on clomid. or had to wean earlier than they wanted to strat fertility treatment again.


#2

No good doctor would recommend or allow fertility treatment while breast feeding so I don’t know of you will find someone who can say they did that. Here is what I would do if I were you - bf until Cole is 1 year, then start weaning. After they are walking and they r a toddler they really won’t be bfing that much anyway so wean after 12 months and then start the treatments/clomid after that. This is what we did and it has worked out and we are very lucky. We did injectables and it was hard to wait but I wanted to BF for a year and weaned after that. Did you want to be pregnant going back to work because you wanted to do treatments and my take more work off? I get that too - but like I said maybe a good compromise is only going a year or a little over after weaning - that is the AAP recommendation if that makes you feel better - or freeze some so you can get to a year and a half? Good luck.


#3

I’ll share my experience with you. First off I want to say my RE was ok with nursing and the clinic happens to have great SART rates! My first FET I nursed and it was a BFP that ended up being a chemical pregnancy. Second FET no nursing after transfer and it was a BFN. Third FET nursed and it was a BFN. I just don’t have successful FET’s regardless if I nurse or not. So we are onto a fresh cycle and my daughter is now 2 and still interested in nursing so I’m like you?? Do I wean? I chose not to again with the ok from RE. And I even asked her pediatrician and they looked up the medication and gave me the class and said it’s your call. I chose to nurse. And my fresh cycle resulted in a BFP! I’m glad with my decision and I think it kept me grounded and calm as you know nursing can do. However after transfer I wouldn’t let her blunts for a few days and then tried and it was too painful so we’ve not gone back to it…yet. Good luck and just know there are lots of success stories both from nursing while cycling and weaning before! You’ll make your right decision


#4

thanks girls. for your advice. i know i just need to adjust my expectations. shorten how long i wanted to bf for and postpone pregnacy. i think i’m coming to term a bit. i was going back to work and would have had to wean some due to working. so i think i might just wait till i go back amd see once i’m workign how many times a day we nurse when i’m away from home. and take it from there. whats a few more month when i get to spend it loving cole and enjoying him more. the clinic i pruchased the spem from said they may be able to get me one more cycels worth. thats releaving to hear


#5

[QUOTE=cmtb;n2618444]thanks girls. for your advice. i know i just need to adjust my expectations. shorten how long i wanted to bf for and postpone pregnacy. i think i’m coming to term a bit. i was going back to work and would have had to wean some due to working. so i think i might just wait till i go back amd see once i’m workign how many times a day we nurse when i’m away from home. and take it from there. whats a few more month when i get to spend it loving cole and enjoying him more. the clinic i pruchased the spem from said they may be able to get me one more cycels worth. thats releaving to hear [/QUOTE]

I know how you feel good luck :slight_smile: