Breastfeeding Mommies

Hi Ladies -

I know in the June due date forum lots of new moms were posting abut breastfeeding…but though I’d start a new thread as there are probably moms from other due date groups that are breastfeeding too.

So - how are you all doing with breastfeeding? My daughter is 6 weeks old and I’ve exclusively breastfed so far. She is doing well and gaining weight like a champ! My only problem is that she eats sooo much - I have no time to pump in between and thus I have almost no stockpile of milk in my freezer. It’s hard because I can’t be away from her and sometimes she eats every hour! I’m thinking of starting to supplement with formula once a day just to give myself some flexibility. My pediatrician suggested a new formula by Similac for breastfeeding moms.

Hope the rest of you are doing well!

Summer

Do you really feed her properly?
Please make sure that she can have enough nutritions to be comfortable for longer than just 1 hour like that…

I think babies also need to sleep so much in order to grow up better; so, how can she sleep well with feeding schedule in every hour?

When she’s much older (6 months or older), you can give her other milk; but in the first 6 months, breastfeeding is the best solution…

[quote=summerbaby]Hi Ladies -

I know in the June due date forum lots of new moms were posting abut breastfeeding…but though I’d start a new thread as there are probably moms from other due date groups that are breastfeeding too.

So - how are you all doing with breastfeeding? My daughter is 6 weeks old and I’ve exclusively breastfed so far. She is doing well and gaining weight like a champ! My only problem is that she eats sooo much - I have no time to pump in between and thus I have almost no stockpile of milk in my freezer. It’s hard because I can’t be away from her and sometimes she eats every hour! I’m thinking of starting to supplement with formula once a day just to give myself some flexibility. My pediatrician suggested a new formula by Similac for breastfeeding moms.

Hope the rest of you are doing well!

Summer[/quote]

Breastfeeding is a lot harder than people think huh!! I exclusively breast fed my now 4 year old daughter for about 10 months, but had quite a time with my 20 month old twin boys!! Yes, sometimes babies do something called cluster feeding, and they do want to nurse every hour, it is mostly for comfort I think. Will she take a bottle? I would nurse her, and then offer a supplement bottle of formula. Sometimes you have to use formula if you have no stockpile of breast milk in the freezer. Of course breast milk is best, but you really have to do what works best for you and your family. I had a really hard time with the twins, could not produce enough for both and felt guilty, lots of people made me feel guilty too, but I realized, you have to have a break and some flexibility!! especially with other kids at home!! It sounds like you are doing a great job and giving her your very best!! The new similac is exclusively for addition to nursing, I have not had to supplement yet this time as I am exclusively pumping and bottle feeding, this new little guy wouldn’t nurse!! Hope you are well and things continue to go smoothly!!

If I were in your position I would supplement a little rather than pumping.

I breastfed my daughter for years and as a tiny baby she also nursed ALL THE TIME. I never did pump because she refused the bottle, never took it. If your little one is gaining weight then I’ll bet she’s getting plenty from you and I wouldn’t supplement for the added nutrition.

I supplement my son (7 months) because I induced lactation with him and always felt insecure with my production. Luckily he’s remained interested in breastfeeding as well as his bottles, but I was super nervous he’d prefer the bottle. I am so happy he takes a bottle and I have no regrets that he’s taking formula. Personally, I just won’t take the time away from him and my daughter to pump. I had to pump 8 times a day to build my supply before he was born, I’ve done enough!

I have 4.5 month old twin boys and I am really struggling with breastfeeding. To make a long story short- I had a low supply and started taking domperidone to increase my supply. I went from pumping 24 oz/day to about 40 oz/day which is about 75% of what they need.

I would love to just breastfeed, but one won’t latch. He did in the beginning, but was a lazy eater so he never took enough from the breast and needed a bottle too. The other latches like a champ and sometimes will take a full feed from the breast and other times needs a bottle too. I try to nurse him at least 2x/day but thats mostly just for bonding. I also have 21 month old twin girls and its nearly impossible to just sit down and nurse while they are trying to climb all over me and get my attention. They are just toddlers so they just want their mommy.

I think you do what you need to do! If you are worried about how much the baby is taking in, you can always get a baby scale and weigh the baby before/after each feed. I was SO hoping my BFing experience would be different this time around. (I completely failed with my twin girls) but its just not. I am now a SAHM though so I will keep pumping until I have a reason not to…

My daughter is gaining weight great…so I know she is getting enough. She was born at 5 1/2 lbs. and 6 weeks later is over 9 lbs. I just feed her on-demand. So sometimes she goes 3 hours between feedings, sometimes an hour. I just feed her when she is hungry. I did start one bottle of formula a day to give her the vitamin D and then if I need to be away from her she can take formula. I do think breastfeeding is the best…but I gotta do what works for me!

Sounds like the rest of you are doing well. Especially you Jessica…two sets of twins! WoW!

My daughter is now 6 months old and I haven’t used a bottle, she has nursed until about 3 weeks ago, when we introduced solid food. We also introduced a sippy cup with a straw, which we rarely use, but when we do, I have either breastmilk in there (which I manually express) or the rest of the water which I use to cook apples. Or plain water. I still nurse her about ever 2 - 3 hours though, she is addicted…

Hi ladies, looking for some encouragement. Breast feeding my two week old and feeling so discouraged. Everything hurts and I am so tired. I am feeling so frustrated and angry. I am working with a lactation consultant and I want to give this more time but I didn’t expect breast feeding to be so hard and stressful.:((

The first two to three weeks are the hardest. I’m sure it feels like baby is nursing around the clock and, he or she probably is! Aside from having a teeny tiny stomach that doesn’t stretch, so it empties really quickly – and growing at an amazing rate – baby is trying to help you establish your supply, so it’s important to power through. I promise, it gets better!!

For sore nipples, try the Lansinoh gel pads - they feel heavenly!! For your back pain (if you’re having that), make sure you’re raising baby up to you and not leaning over baby. If you didn’t have a c-section, you’re probably good to try side-lying nursing – which is a wonderful wonderful wonderful thing! If you did have a c-section, you might still be a bit too sore for that. I found the “My Brestfriend” pillow to be awesome because it holds baby right up where she needs to be and you don’t end up hunching over.

Also, read this. Really. Really really. Click it now. It will help. http://theleakyboob.com/2011/08/baby-explains-normal-newborn-behavior/

It’s true, the first couple of weeks are the worst. I remember the first time I was able to take a shower and wash my hair without dodging for the water not to hit my nipples because they were hurting so badly. From then on, things got better. We’re going almost 8 months now, started solids with 6 months, but still nursing a lot. The Lansinoh line really is great. I used the Lanolin cream a lot and also the gel pads.

Keep on it - it’s worth it!