Hoping some of you wonderful folks out there can offer me some advice. I am 31 weeks and have been told my placenta is very low, covering the cervix, and I may need a C-section. We re-check it this week, and if it is still low continue re-checks every week after that. My OB has not used the term but I gather from my own reading that I (possibly) have placenta previa (?). She said the placenta may move on its own. There are also some concerns that the baby is measuring pretty large, he is in the 80th percentile for size.
A few weeks ago I would have welcomed the thought of a C-section for what is an entirely emotional and quite likely dumb reason. I have young-ish stepkids who are very interested in my pregnancy and can’t wait to meet their little brother, woohoo. Unfortunately to cut out 99% of the relevant details while we get along okay with their mother on the surface (we share 50-50 custody with her) we have had many issues with her not respecting our boundaries. I do NOT want her at the hospital either before or after my baby is born. She believes that anything that concerns her kids also concerns her and she has a right to be there. I have had a lot of anxiety about the timing of labor, whether the stepkids will happen to be with her or with us and if they are with her whether or not she will try to bring them to the hospital herself rather than allowing a grandparent or someone to come get them (obviously we want them to meet their brother as soon as possible). I have asked at the hospital and unfortunately they do not have any kind of sign-in procedures for visitors on the postpartum wing, it’s pretty much a free-for-all, anyone can come and go and I don’t feel like I can rely on the nurses (nor is it their job) to keep my stepkid’s mother out of my hospital room.
So, previously I had thought well at least with a C-section we would be able to somewhat plan and control what happens with the kids, since we would know in advance if it’s one of our days or hers (and preferably we would do it on one of our days). I have told my OB about my anxiety regarding the timing of the birth and the stepkid’s mom showing up. She has said even if my placenta moves between now and then she will do an elective C-section if I want, or she will induce me on a day I choose a week before the due date.
Now that I am learning more and more about C-sections I am having second thoughts that I would actually choose this if my placenta moves on its own. I understand the pain and recovery time are more significant than a vaginal birth. My biggest concern is that I very much want to exclusively breastfeed and I think having a C might delay the milk coming in and make BF’ing more difficult. Also I have been told that you can’t hold the baby right away after a C and we’ve been told all along how important it is to have skin-to-skin contact with the baby immediately after birth.
I’d love any and all advice that you guys are willing to offer about C-sections, those of you who have had them, considered them, want them, don’t want them. It’s quite possible I may not get a choice at all if my placenta stays low, but if I do have the choice I want to make the right one. I’m so confused and overwhelmed. Thoughts?