Calling all Massachusetts Ladies

I’m looking for infomation on RE’s in Massachusetts. I have been out of the loop since my FET in 2009. I am getting ready to try and find a new Doctor. I used Dr. Anania out of Reproductive Science Center in Lexington previously. It is my understanding she is no longer with RSC, and I am really trying to find something closer to home. I live 10 mins from the NY border to give you ladies some reference.

I am looking for any recommendations for you ladies for RE’s in Mass, most preferably in Western MA, but I won’t rule out driving to Boston either.

So let me know what y’all think.
Thanks!!!

[quote=holdingmybreath]I’m looking for infomation on RE’s in Massachusetts. I have been out of the loop since my FET in 2009. I am getting ready to try and find a new Doctor. I used Dr. Anania out of Reproductive Science Center in Lexington previously. It is my understanding she is no longer with RSC, and I am really trying to find something closer to home. I live 10 mins from the NY border to give you ladies some reference.

I am looking for any recommendations for you ladies for RE’s in Mass, most preferably in Western MA, but I won’t rule out driving to Boston either.

So let me know what y’all think.
Thanks!!![/quote]

Hello I am also from MA. Dr Anania is with Fertility Solutions with a couple other doctors. I see Dr. Wold in the Providence office. I know there is a location in Dedham and Cambridge. Good Luck!!! Let me know if you need anymore information.

I saw Dr Chauhan out of UMass in Worcester but RSC in Lexington did my procedures. I don’t really know of any others so I can’t help you there but wanted to wish you the best of luck as you continue your journey!

Thanks, Ladies!

I’m still hoping to hear about some that are closer, but again not opposed to further away, I just wish my insurance would allow me to go to Albany as that is closer.

Oh well. Thanks again!

I have experience with a doctor through Boston IVF, and we are now seeing Dr. Pang with RSC in Lexington. I would recommend any other doctors than the BIVF crowd, too big a place and not a good experience for me at all. I will write more later but I wanted to chime in… get back to you soon!!

I am from the Springfield area. I did two fresh and one frozen cycle with Dr howe in E Longmeadow but the procedures were done at RSC Lexington. I found it too hard to travel. I had a consult with Baystate Reproductive Medicine in Sept and plan on switching to them for 2012.

Pebbleann, Tell me more about our consult with Baystate. Which doctor are you using? What did they do in the consult? Did the doctors seem open to your ideas, or did they just give you their “this is how it’s gonna be”?

Wishfor1more, I would love to hear about your experience with BIVF. I know what RSC was like at least for me, and I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone :slight_smile: I had been to a very personable clinic in Texas where I was always informed about what was happening. I was felt like a number to RSC, and that they were only interested in stats. I was not pleased, but again I was comparing my experience to my Texas experience.

[QUOTE=holdingmybreath]Pebbleann, Tell me more about our consult with Baystate. Which doctor are you using? What did they do in the consult? Did the doctors seem open to your ideas, or did they just give you their “this is how it’s gonna be”?

Wishfor1more, I would love to hear about your experience with BIVF. I know what RSC was like at least for me, and I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone :slight_smile: I had been to a very personable clinic in Texas where I was always informed about what was happening. I was felt like a number to RSC, and that they were only interested in stats. I was not pleased, but again I was comparing my experience to my Texas experience.[/QUOTE]

Hi Holding - Well, first of all, I wish I could help you better with clinics closer to where you live. I am so unfamiliar with Western MA, but if insurance has you staying in MA, use that insurance and stay in MA! I wish I had insurance for even a little bit of this process. As far as BIVF, that is where I really felt like a number. It is a large clinic and while I loved the nurse affiliated with my doctor, I never felt like we got advice or insight particular to our case. He was always willing to meet with us, but the bottom line is that they would only go so far unless we paid first. We are pretty angry that we went through two fresh and two frozen cycles and having nothing to show for it (but some debt). The doctor could basically only tell me that it is age related, though every test I have had shows I have no issues whatsoever, so DOR related to age, nothing but my stupid tubal ligation, which I have been assured does not affect egg quality or anything like that.

So funny you say that about RSC; they are definitely a larger clinic but not as large as BIVF. We have honestly felt so much better there than we ever did at BIVF. Dr. Pang has been very clear about his protocol, his plans, and explained everything to us from my chemical pregnancy last June to their lab and stats. I know every clinic tries to sell itself to some extent, but I am going on gut feeling a little more here. I also know several people who have been successful at RSC. I hear you about comparing to your clinic in Texas! I wonder if it’s regional, in the sense that we here in the Northeast just aren’t as friendly or open as the South? It shouldn’t matter from a medical standpoint, but you know what I mean.

Anyway, hope this helps - let me know! And good luck to you. I’m so sorry about your daughter.

Thanks for the info, wishfor1more, I also know a few ladies who had good success at RSC. I’m not saying they are “bad” but I was done the last fresh cycle I did with them. I can tell my horror stories, but it won’t help any. I would say it was disconcerning when the nurse called and told me to keep taking the birth control pill for a couple more days when they had had me stop taking it about 3 days prior. There was a second time when the nurse called with instructions that contridicted my protocol, but I had been there done that so to say as this was our 4th cycle and I was confident enough to say, “Uh, that’s not my protocol!” Still a little disconcerning.

Anyone else have info they can share about clinics in MA, I would love to hear from you!!

[quote=holdingmybreath]Pebbleann, Tell me more about our consult with Baystate. Which doctor are you using? What did they do in the consult? Did the doctors seem open to your ideas, or did they just give you their “this is how it’s gonna be”?

Wishfor1more, I would love to hear about your experience with BIVF. I know what RSC was like at least for me, and I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone :slight_smile: I had been to a very personable clinic in Texas where I was always informed about what was happening. I was felt like a number to RSC, and that they were only interested in stats. I was not pleased, but again I was comparing my experience to my Texas experience.[/quote]

I consulted with Dr Wiczyk. There are 4 or 5 Dr’s there, I just asked for the first available. Didn’t really know what to expect at the consult. The nurse took DH and I into a room and asked all the normal questions. Then we met with the Dr. She was pleasant. We had brought a copy of our records from the previous place. She flipped through them and just asked questions here and there. We weren’t ready to start a cycle at that time so we really didn’t talk protocols. She did however do an ultrasound just to check things out and she ordered some blood work. Overall I feel comfortable enough to switch to them. I felt I needed a fresh set of eyes and do know a couple people who’ve had success there.

Wishing you all the best.

Just my two cents… My experience with Boston IVF was not favorable. You really need to be your own advocate at this place or you will get lost in the shuffle. They are a big facility with MANY doctors rotating through the on=call schedule. You end up with the doctor of the day more than you get input from your own doctor during your cycle (in my case anyways). More times than not, the nurse on-call, would give me insturctions that contradicted my protocol or plan. I needed to speak up and question things along the way more than once. For the amount of money I was spending (all OOP) I felt like I deserved better, more consistent care. You really need to push them to give you a protocol outside the box of the normal stuff. I never felt like anyone was very compassionate and I definitely never felt like there was NOT anyone there that really KNEW us. I used them for 10 months and you would think by then there would be one nurse or RE that would really know us.

The embryology lab… Well, they don’t use vitrification which for me was a HUGE disappointment. They promote themselves as cutting edge and to me this is a big problem for them. This is not new technology and something they really should be doing IMO. They push for Day 3 transfers and when asked about assisted hatching I was told that they really don’t know when it’s best to use it so they don’t recommend it initially.

I think there are some really smart REs with BIVF and if you choose to go there I would only recommend that you push hard to be your own advocate. AFM, I’m leaving BIVF after 4 failed cycles (3 fresh and 1 FET).

Dr. Anania is actually with her new clinic now, have you looked into Fertility Solutions??

[quote=kaultra]. You really need to be your own advocate at this place or you will get lost in the shuffle. … I felt like I deserved better, more consistent care. You really need to push them to give you a protocol outside the box of the normal stuff.

Dr. Anania is actually with her new clinic now, have you looked into Fertility Solutions??[/quote]

I totally believe we should all educate ourselves and be our own ADVOCATES!!! I know the doctors are the experts, but I have always looked at it as they are the coaches and we are the players. They tell us the strategy, but hopefully we know enough to question our doctors and advocate for ourselves rather than just going with the flow.

Anyway with that said, it’s one of the reasons I don’t want to check out Dr. Anania’s new clinic. I am not sure if she was “following” RSC protocol or just throwing out her own when I was a patient, but I didn’t get good vibes and should have moved on long before I did. When we came to their clinic it was with a referral from my previous doctor in Texas. I was really comfortable with my first “coach” and I would have loved to stay with them. We gave RSC open mind, but she went from a really successful egg retrieval protocol to a different one. My first IVF I had 25 eggs retrieved with 16 mature and 9 fertilized. On day 5 we only had two which we transferred and that cycle didn’t work. On our second IVF Dr. Anania went with a “different” protocol and I had 7 eggs on day of retrieval of which 3 were mature and only 1 fertilized. When we had a talk about the difference in the two protocols Dr. Anania first told me she was going to change back to protocol number one but first insisted we go to a urologist for my hubby to be evaluated. So long story short after several months off so my hubs could be evaluated, we go back and she’s like ok here’s the protocol we are going to do and it was the 2nd IVF protocol. I told her I thought we were going to change back and her response to me was, well it doesn’t really matter which way we go?!?!?!? WHAT!!?!?!? Again, I’m not sure if she was following RSC procedure and policies, or her own.

Anyhow, thanks for the information.

pebbleann - thanks for the information. I have an appt with them on Feb 15th. I am excited and scared all at the same time. I asked how much an out of pocket consult would be, in Texas I paid around 200, and they told me 650 to 800. I pretty much was like OK, I will be waiting for insurance to kick in! The lady I talked to on the phone said the fee includes a pelvic exam and consult with the doctor.

Anyone else with thought or opinions all are welcome!

Dr. DiGirolamo at RSC here

I also go to RSC in Lexington with Dr DiGirolamo. I find that she and her nursing staff are very informative and answers all my questions and concerns. I also believe that we are our best advocates and the more informed you are, the better.

Despite the obvious failure, I think we are heading in the right direction.

A friend of mine worked w/ Dr Pang and had a successful IVF cycle on her 1st try with low ovarian reserve.

Don’t go to BIVF. I even have two snowbabies there from my last “cycle,” and I’m planning to just leave them and move on. 5 failed cycles and I just turned 30. They’re the worst.

If I were you, I’d look at what the very best clinics are for your age group and go there. You can monitor locally and then go to the clinic for retrieval and transfer.

That said, I’ve also heard great things about Anania…good luck with whatever you decide!

I also was a patient of Dr. Pang at RSC. Felt more like a number and less like a person at RSC. Could have been because I was part of a study but in the end I can’t complain since my cycle was a success.

Hello,
I went to the Brigham and Women’s hospital in Boston. They were perfect. I highly recommend Dr. Walsh , who is in the top 10 of the best doctors in Boston . His nurse is very helpufl, calm and helped me a lot during the IVF. He also recommended me to my actual OB, from the Brigham, and she is fantastic.There is one doctor in their team that I didn’t like, so if you decide to go there, contact me and I will give you her name.

[quote=All_the_good_names]Don’t go to BIVF. I even have two snowbabies there from my last “cycle,” and I’m planning to just leave them and move on. 5 failed cycles and I just turned 30. They’re the worst.
[/quote]

Just some food for thought, I was also fed up with RSC when I decided to change doctors, but we had three snowbabies there, so I decided to do the FET just to “get” my babies out of there. We did not think it would work and that is the only cycle I ended up preggers with…You can have your snowbabies moved to a different clinic, too. I don’t blame you for moving on. I sometimes felt like I should have done that sooner.

HeartyNewEnglander, I don’t think it was because you were in a study. I did a study in Dallas and never felt like a number. Here is some of the personal touches that I received in Dallas that made going to RSC so hard. First, when I called the clinic I ALWAYS talk to a person, not a recording that I had to pick and no immediate voicemails just cuz they are too busy. Second, when I wanted to talk to my nurse I got her, if for some reason she was busy the lady who answered the phone let me know I was going to her voicemail, but at RSC I never talked directly to a nurse, it was ALWAYS straight to voicemail. After my egg retrieval I called because I had the bloating thing going on and gained some weight, I called they had me come right in. When I went for the transfer I was telling the Dr. I had lost some of the weight and the other Dr. teased, Dr C you can hyperstimulate me anytime. The fact that his partner (whom I never worked with prior to transfer) knew I had been hyperstimulated was comforting. When RSC hyperstimulated me I called the nurse told her what was going on (which was worse than the first hyperstimulation) and she didn’t even bother to pass this information on to the transfer team, as far as I could tell it wasn’t in my file, and they didn’t bother having me come in for ultrasound. Day of the transfer was almost cancelled because of how hyperstimulated I was I had fluid around my lungs. So the last thing I’ll point out that was different, when I got the picture of my embies from Dallas the two embies were in color and had lots of detail (because it was in color) my RSC photos always looked like ultrasound black and white photos and weren’t of very good quality.

Venusia, I was wondering when you called Brigham and Women’s did you get your nurse or voicemail each time? (Not that I think the nurses are only there for our beck and call, but to be able to sometimes get them when you call is helpful) Also, when you did the retrieval and transfer was it your dr who did these or the dr on call? At RSC I NEVER once had Dr. Anania do the retrieval or transfer in all of the treatments I did with them. I only dealt with her on the initial consulation and each follow up meeting when it didn’t work, oh yeah and I one sit down with her after I became preggers.

Thanks you guys for your input, I am still trying to figure it all out.

Hi ladies-
This whole thread has been pretty interesting…I am awaiting transfer on cycle #5, so this isn’t my first rodeo…I started out at RSC for my first three cycles, all BFN’s…The worst thing for me about them was their lack of update on the status of your embryos, and how you have to wait two weeks for a LETTER to arrive to let you know if you had any frosties…Otherwise, I found the people there friendly enough and they seemed competent. For me, I take a lot of the research I do and what I’m told by all the doctors and have to realize that in my case, I am almost 40 years old (next week). My fertility in general has gone down drastically since I did not marry until I was 38, I knew my chances were and still are lower. I see that many of you are not in my position, so I can understand the frustrations that you might have…I feel like a lot of this whole thing is a crap shoot in all honesty. After failure #3, I switched to BIVF and found some things to be very similar to RSC. I personally like that they have numerous early AM appts for bw and u/s, and the nurse that works with my doctor will answer the phone at least half of the time and always calls me back promptly. I did call their on call RE late at night on my first cycle and they called me back within 15 minutes…At my face-to-face RE appts I never felt rushed and my questions were answered. So, overall, I get the “number, not a name” thing for the most part, but as an allied health care medical professional myself, going to the doctor that is busy isn’t always a bad thing…Again, my two cents and experience working with doctors…Not saying it is “right,” but its pretty common with these larger clinics. A small clinic may or may not have the resources to have a great lab either, so that goes through my mind a lot when I consider if I need to do #6 where will I do it?

Totally get everyone’s opinions here…Sometimes those experiences can vary and overall I can say aside from not getting pregnant, my experiences weren’t that bad. My research tells me that at my age, it might not really be anyone’s fault but father time.

Hope everyone has a great holiday!

[quote=holdingmybreath]
pebbleann - thanks for the information. I have an appt with them on Feb 15th. I am excited and scared all at the same time. I asked how much an out of pocket consult would be, in Texas I paid around 200, and they told me 650 to 800. I pretty much was like OK, I will be waiting for insurance to kick in! The lady I talked to on the phone said the fee includes a pelvic exam and consult with the doctor.

Anyone else with thought or opinions all are welcome![/quote]

We are so blessed to live in MA where everything’s pretty much covered. I have probably only paid about $250 out of pocket between my three IVF’s and 2 IUI’s.
Good luck with your consult.