Calling All Pregnant Vegetarians and Vegans

[FONT=“Arial Narrow”]Hi Everyone–

I’m Leigh. I joined the boards back in 2007 when I was trying to TTC #2. This is such a great source of support and advice!

I’d like to start a thread about being pregnant while vegetarian or vegan. I was a long-time lacto-ovo vegetarian (20+ years) before switching to a vegan diet 2 years ago. This will be my first vegan pregnancy, and instead of creating a blog about it (which, in all honesty, I wouldn’t maintain), I thought I’d start a thread where we could all contribute our meal ideas, how we’re feeling, info on nutrition, etc.

Looking forward to hearing from you (hopefully I’m not the only one!).

A happy and healthy 9 months to all![/FONT]

Took my girls to this restaurant for brunch today. It’s a bit of a hike from our house, but it’s nice to get a lovely vegan meal! We’ve always had a terrific time here and gotten excellent food.

Great Sage :: Vegetarian Restaurant :: Clarksville Maryland

Does anyone have a local veg place that they enjoy?

[FONT=“Arial Narrow”]Hope to post more here in the upcoming weeks as my queasiness dissipates and I can get back into the kitchen to make my healthy meals again (I’ve been all about the comfort foods [and plain foods] for the past few weeks).

I’m up 5 lbs. total so far, and with the exception of yoga once a week, I haven’t had the energy to do additional exercise (prior to pregnancy, I’d exercise 3-5x/week). Hope my energy returns soon! I exercised up to the end of pregnancy #2 and had a great labor/delivery. Still took me almost a year to lose the baby weight, but that didn’t bug me at all! [/FONT]

hi!! nice thread!

i’m vegetarian, but a bit of an odd diet. no eggs, hate peanut butter and tofu etc…

i resort to whey protein powder to get a little extra in my poor diet.

i am SUPER EXCITED about those new subway sandwiches. i’ll put cheese on mine though. :slight_smile:

enjoy your posts…

[FONT=“Arial Narrow”]Hi Ajot–thanks for popping in! Would love to hear about your meals/snacks. I did lots of cheese and milk with my other pregnancies. DD #1 had recurrent ear infections and some asthma issues, and DD #2 had the classic 3-month colic. I’ve read that these issues can be tied to dairy, so it’ll be interesting to see what baby #3’s health outcomes are and if my vegan diet (and eventually, the baby’s) makes a difference. Now that our daughters are vegan, my older DD has only had one ear infection and no wheezing. Our younger DD has only had 1 ear infection and has had one or two colds besides that… I’m so thankful for healthy munchkins!

Let me know if you end up trying the Subway sandwiches. I don’t think that I’d try the riblet one as I never ate ribs before becoming vegetarian. The only downside to the subs for me is that I believe that the only vegan bread is the white sub roll. Maybe I can try the vegan option on a salad instead…

Here are two recent meals and a smoothie. I cheated a bit with the meals and picked up prepared food from Roots Market (just love their vegan selection–much better than WF). There’s a vegan eggplant parm with a kale salad and a kelp noodle salad. The smoothie I made was really tasty–1 c. unsweetened rice milk, 1/2 frozen banana, 2 pitted dates, 1 TBSP almond butter and a few ice cubes. I’m going to make that one again today–so delish!

[/FONT]

So excited - the Subway Cafe near our house has vegan riblets, and three kinds of veggie burgers. We had the veg riblets on Saturday, and even my carnivore DH said they were awesome. :slight_smile:

I avoid whey protein, because I’m a (mostly) veg for ethical and emotional reasons. If I don’t know where the meat or dairy comes from (i.e. happy grass-fed cows), I avoid it. So I go for vegan protein powders. My favorite brand is the vanilla Plant Fusion powder. I add it to my decaf Earl Grey. :slight_smile:

I got a “Guide to Vegetarian Pregnancy” about a month ago - I’ll post from home when I can look at it and summarize it better. :slight_smile:

I am, as we speak, eating lentil soup for lunch. :slight_smile: I often eat sunflower butter and sugar-free jelly PB&J sandwiches for lunch, too. :slight_smile:

I do eat fish sometimes, but that’s usually just when I’m lazy. Trying to get better about that. I was a lacto-ovo veg from about 1993 until 2006, but then I had bariatric surgery and couldn’t eat a lot of vegetarian protein. That was six years ago, though, so I’ve been able to slowly add some veg proteins back, like seitan and firm tofu.

[FONT=“Arial Narrow”]Oops–hope all of my iPhone pix won’t be sideways![/FONT]

I was never a big fan of ribs when I ate meat, but honestly, it was such a long time ago that I ate ribs that I truly cannot remember what they tasted like.

CaribbeanQ: You have a Roots Market?? You’re not in the Mid-atlantic region, are you? I thought Roots was local for us. :slight_smile:

For milk, I’m a huge fan of the unsweetened “So Delicious” Coconut milk that’s widely available now. SO tasty, and so good in hot tea and cold smoothies. :slight_smile:

I’m also on a huge banana and valencia orange kick lately.

[quote=CaribbeanQueen][FONT=Arial Narrow]

Let me know if you end up trying the Subway sandwiches. I don’t think that I’d try the riblet one as I never ate ribs before becoming vegetarian. The only downside to the subs for me is that I believe that the only vegan bread is the white sub roll. Maybe I can try the vegan option on a salad instead…

Here are two recent meals and a smoothie. I cheated a bit with the meals and picked up prepared food from Roots Market (just love their vegan selection–much better than WF). There’s a vegan eggplant parm with a kale salad and a kelp noodle salad. The smoothie I made was really tasty–1 c. unsweetened rice milk, 1/2 frozen banana, 2 pitted dates, 1 TBSP almond butter and a few ice cubes. I’m going to make that one again today–so delish!

[/FONT][/quote]

[FONT=“Arial Narrow”]Cannady–thanks for joining in the discussion! I look forward to your contributions!

Glad you tried the Subway riblet and that your carni liked it! I’m glad that Subway is trying to cater to vegans. Compassion Over Killing in D.C. is working hard to have chain restaurants have vegan offerings. Its next target is Dunkin’ Donuts–they’d love to see a vegan donut there. I’m not sure if I’d try it–I haven’t had a donut since college, and that’s one of the foods that just screams “egregious sugar bomb” to me.

Lentil soup–yummy! I made a big batch of some last night using the recipe from the Forks Over Knives cookbook. The rest of the fam had that while I had my smoothie, brown rice and veggies. For some reason, my tummy and brain were both saying NO to the soup!

Cannady–yes, I’m in Maryland![/FONT]

CQ: Hilarious. We’re neighbors. :slight_smile: I love Great Sage.
:slight_smile: Especially brunch on weekends.

There are also plenty of veg restaurants in Baltimore and DC, of course. We live in Howard, so we usually prefer to go to Baltimore, where more of our friends live. Hampden has Golden West, and Paper Moon diner nearby, and both have lots of vegan options.

Another fantastic place: Yuan Fu, in Rockville. It’s all vegan, and the mock duck is phenomenal. Because of Yuan Fu, I went to the local Asian market and loaded up on tofu sheets (Yuba)… Had never heard of them before, but they’re the secret behind the “skin like” texture on mock meats. Regardless of whether or not you crave mock meat, Yuan Fu is just awesome. :slight_smile: I’m just sad that the good vegan Chinese places are all the way in Rockville.

Re doughnuts: I used to eat all kinds of garbage when I was a lacto-ovo veg. I loved Krispy Kreme doughnuts. But then I had bariatric surgery, so all sugar has been off limits ever since. If someone invented a sugar-free Krispy Kreme, I would be very interested. :slight_smile:

[quote=CaribbeanQueen]Took my girls to this restaurant for brunch today. It’s a bit of a hike from our house, but it’s nice to get a lovely vegan meal! We’ve always had a terrific time here and gotten excellent food.

Great Sage :: Vegetarian Restaurant :: Clarksville Maryland

Does anyone have a local veg place that they enjoy?[/quote]

[FONT=“Arial Narrow”]I’ve neglected my own thread!

Here’s my latest:
Still just up 5 lbs. I was up 5, lost 3, and now regained those pounds. Maybe the heat melted them off–who knows? Anyway, this is the one time in life where I actually want to gain weight. Grow, baby, grow!

Still not back to regular exercise. Hopefully getting back to it this week.

I am starting to get my taste for healthy foods back. Bought oodles of greens yesterday and want to get back to my kale salads especially.

I’ll post some pix of recent meals again soon, but in the meantime, I made this yumilicious raw vegan blueberry “ice cream” over the weekend. Can I just say that all of these flavors go so well together, and there was nothing more refreshing than eating this while it was a million degrees outside: Raw, Vegan Blueberry Ginger Ice Cream.

I enjoy this website and have made a few of her recipes. In my ideal world, I would eat a high-raw, low-gluten diet. She’s a good inspiration for me![/FONT]

I’m going to un-sub from this thread for the time being, since I’m not pregnant anymore… I definitely did have the healthy cravings during the pregnancy. Those have vanished now. I’m still eating healthy, but I don’t have bona fide cravings for oranges like I was having. :slight_smile:

[quote=CaribbeanQueen][FONT=Arial Narrow]I’ve neglected my own thread!

Here’s my latest:
Still just up 5 lbs. I was up 5, lost 3, and now regained those pounds. Maybe the heat melted them off–who knows? Anyway, this is the one time in life where I actually want to gain weight. Grow, baby, grow!

Still not back to regular exercise. Hopefully getting back to it this week.

I am starting to get my taste for healthy foods back. Bought oodles of greens yesterday and want to get back to my kale salads especially.

I’ll post some pix of recent meals again soon, but in the meantime, I made this yumilicious raw vegan blueberry “ice cream” over the weekend. Can I just say that all of these flavors go so well together, and there was nothing more refreshing than eating this while it was a million degrees outside: Raw, Vegan Blueberry Ginger Ice Cream.

I enjoy this website and have made a few of her recipes. In my ideal world, I would eat a high-raw, low-gluten diet. She’s a good inspiration for me![/FONT][/quote]

[FONT=“Arial Narrow”]Cannady–I know that you’ll rejoin me here soon! Feel free to pop in any time with meal ideas/recipes to share.

At 16 weeks, I’m up 7 lbs. The baby is quite active now, and our daughters can’t wait to feel his/her kicks. For now it’s just me who is being entertained!

After having stomach flu last week, I’m back to “normal” now. Went to the gym on Thursday and Friday–did 30 mins cardio + 25-30 minutes light weight training each time and took a 3.5-mile walk today. I feel so much better when I exercise! Hope I can get back to it regularly!

No exceptional meals to speak of this past week. About to pre-make some breakfast items for tomorrow. Already cooked up some tempeh bacon and planning to do whole wheat blueberry muffins and a tofu scramble. My pregnancy jones so far is potatoes–I’ve been eating them every day! [/FONT]

[FONT=“Arial Narrow”]Added a pound this week, so up to 8 total.

Made it to the gym two mornings–was hoping for more, but our younger DD was sidelined by croup for a few days (poor thing), and DH has some upper-respiratory infection. For now, mama is playing nurse!

Had an excellent carry-out dinner from Liquid Earth this week (www.liquidearth.com). Not sure why I’ve never eaten there in all of my years in the Baltimore-Metro region, but it’s definitely my kind of place! Love the options available for live juices and smoothies. The food was absolutely delish with lots of vegan/raw/gluten-free options. The restaurant is vegetarian, but it seems that any items with dairy cheese can be made with vegan cheese as well.

Speaking of juicing, I made two yummy green smoothies this week, and had a raw juice with one of my DDs on Friday. I’ve already prepped the fruit and veggies for tomorrow’s juice–oranges, apples, kale (and maybe celery and parsley for the grownups). Decided to do some cooking today and made Happy Herbivore’s Herbed Home Fries and Fat-Free Cinnamon Rolls (sans icing/for our DDs), Isa Chandra’s Marinated Portbellos, some roasted cherry tomatoes and kale chips.

I’m still trying to figure out what I may be in the mood for this week… I hope to pick up ingredients tomorrow and cook while DH is home–so much easier to make several dishes while he can play with the girls (even as he is hacking away!). We’ll be out of town toward the end of the week, so I can take a nice kitchen break then.[/FONT]

Just popping in to say hi. I have been a vegetarian for 24 years. My Dr doesn’t like it. Says it is not helping my PCOS. Everyone was worried when I was pregnant with my twins. Carried them to full term and they are bright healthy vegetarian girls now too :slight_smile:

[FONT=“Arial Narrow”]Momma–thanks for popping in, and I hope that you’ll share your experience! Cookbook author Isa Chandra Moskowitz (I’m mostly a fan–not all of her recipes are healthy, though) has PCOS and wrote “Appetite for Reduction” to address some of the issues that her doctor wanted her to look at in her diet: Appetite For Reduction | Post Punk Kitchen | Vegan Baking & Vegan Cooking. I happen to enjoy this particular book–lots of yummy recipes! Certainly, vegetarian and vegan diets are appropriate for anyone–I’m glad that the media is covering this more–especially with some high-profile folks touting the benefits of plant-based diets.

AFM, I thought that I had gained another pound this week, but it looks like I’m still @ +8 this morning. Made two gym visits and hit the hotel pool twice during our quick family vacay.

I’m still craving potatoes like a mad woman, and I eat a serving every day. Did more green juice this week too as well as kale chips and a healthy homemade granola.

I am starting to feel the baby move on the outside now, so I’m thinking that my DDs will be able to feel him/her soon too![/FONT]

Food from the week…

[FONT=“Arial Narrow”]No weight gain again this week… Hmmmm… I go back to the OB on Wednesday–I’ll peek @ my chart and see how much I had gained at this point with my other two pregnancies. Of course, my eating habits, even as a vegetarian, were much different. It was reassuring to see our LO at Friday’s anatomy scan. S/he is measuring 6 days ahead and was bouncing all over the place.

As for exercise–I did not do that great… Only one morning at the gym, but DH and I did some work for 1 1/2 hours in the basement (cleaning/organizing) last night. I’m definitely counting that as exercise! I was wiped out when we were finished and slept like a log! The “basement project” is something that we definitely need to tackle before this LO’s arrival. We moved 2 years ago, and there are still some boxes that we haven’t unpacked. I have a donation pick-up scheduled for tomorrow, and there are 5 or 6 boxes ready to go–yay! I’ll chip at it bit by bit!

As far as food goes, I did do some cooking this week.

Top row:
Mexican night for our fam + 3 extended family members (one of whom is vegan). The fillings were vegan chorizo and a black bean+salsa+spices combo that was very tasty. Sides included the predictable salsa, lettuce, black olives, and guac. I also made a sweet potato and pineapple side (pictured) and a Spanish quinoa (not pictured). Dessert was Engine 2 brownies and fresh berries–yum!

Goddess Nicoise with Green Goddess Dressing–this is an Isa Chandra Moskowitz recipe. It’s in Appetite for Reduction as well as the Forks Over Knives cookbook. Just love all of the components/flavors. The dressing is fresh herbs mixed with tahini, garlic, and nutritional yeast–tangy and delish! Of course, this also fulfilled my potato craving which I’m still having!

Sunshine Burger on an Ezekiel Sprouted Grain Sesame Bun (love this bun!)–this was a night when I made the family some lentil soup and wasn’t in the mood for it myself. This dinner was easy and super-filling. I had Veganaise horseradish mayo on the veggie burger, had a Bubbies pickle and some homemade pickle chips on the side & a big bowl of fruit. Filling and healthy!

Second row:
Engine 2 Pad Thai–I made this with brown rice noodles this time, and they came out a bit sticky. The flavors were still good, but I think that the flat rice noodle are probably a better call here.

Raw juice–I threw in lots of leftovers in this one–a beet, about 1/2 head of kale, 1 lemon, some celery and carrots and who knows what else! I always feel healthy when I drink my veggie juice. These days, I’m just not in the mood for it all of the time. If you’re interested in juicing, check out Kris Carr’s Crazy Sexy Juice e-book [http://crazysexyjuice.com/] (lots of great ideas), or just Google your way to free recipes!

[/FONT]

Interesting to see so many from MD. I am in NE Baltimore (Hamilton), not far from Parkville.

Have been a vegetarian since I was 15 (turn 40 next month). Did an IVF in 2004 and have an almost 4 year old who is a very proud vegetarian. One of her favorite story books is Hubert the Pudge, a radical vegetarian kid’s book we stumbled upon two years ago. She keeps coming back to it. We’re not vegan, but do try to be very conscientious about where our dairy and eggs come from. Have a little flock of four happy free range pet hens, for ex. And we buy raw milk from a small Amish farm that treats its animals well (as part of a buying coop).

My first fet last year was unsuccessful, but the we were successful with at least one of the frozen blasts transferred at the end of July. For some reason (perhaps age, or the last failure), I am pretty paranoid this time. It’s about 5 weeks into the pregnancy. Not worried so much about the vegetarian diet as the fact that the fertility clinic wants to do three early ultrasounds as part of regular procedure. Have told them ‘no.’ I’ll do one to establish the heart beat. And then I’m fleeing as quick as I can to establish myself with a midwife who knows how to measure fundal height and use a fetoscope :slight_smile: :clap:

More vegan yumminess from this week: