Canceled Cycles

Hi all,

I am new to this board and the whole process. I will be starting IVF in January/February. I have seen on numerous posts that “the doctor canceled my cycle” Why would this happen? Can someone please explain why a cycle might be canceled?

[quote=Awesometeacher78]Hi all,

I am new to this board and the whole process. I will be starting IVF in January/February. I have seen on numerous posts that “the doctor canceled my cycle” Why would this happen? Can someone please explain why a cycle might be canceled?[/quote]
Most typical reason is poor response. If you don’t have enough follicles developing at a good rate, they might cancel you. The threshold will depend on the dr, and your expected response.

Awesome - Pluw is right, poor response. They can also be cancelled due to OHSS (ovarian hyper stimulation syndrome), taking the wrong medication at the wrong time, not being suppressed enough in the beginning, other health issues unrelated to infertility. There are quite a number of reasons for a cycle to be cancelled. I have had 4 cancelled cycles.

I had one cancelled cycle, which was for two reasons. 1st, I only had two follicles (i.e. low response). If money had not been an object, we would have gone ahead, but because I basically have one full cycle (or $10,000) covered by insurance, my doctor recommended to cancel it, do an IUI (which was unsuccessful, as we had expected) and to try again. It was a good decision that we made together.

My cycle was cancelled yesterday, it was my decision, but my RE stood behind me on my decision.

The reason why is with the Lupron/bravelle dosage I was on, I made a lot of follicles, but only 4 got to the size they needed to be at trigger day. With only 4 at the most and this being the only cycle I can afford (out of pocket) I didn’t think I had the best chance. When 40-60% of eggs don’t fertilize or arrest (stop growing) prior to freeze and/or transfer time I was worried I’d end up with 0 or 1 viable candidate and that wasn’t good enough odds for me.

Stopping before the ER means I have to repay for meds and my vists (ultrasounds and bloodwork) but that cost is significantly lower than the cost of the ER and ET itself.

So it was a smart move, no matter how heart breaking.